Author Topic: Stormtroopers Purpose  (Read 1432 times)

Offline thesustainablecenter

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Stormtroopers Purpose
« on: August 21, 2013, 07:52:55 PM »
So I love these guys but they got way over costed because they got equipment they didn't need. At 16 points per model there more than current marines before they get a price drop in a few weeks time. There hot-shot guns are alright, but math says they don't kill marines very well. They can take 2 special weapons but vets can take 3, and are cheaper, and have the same BS and can even have the same save for less!

I get the point that there special ops and deep strike is what there purpose is. Problem is that I can get stuff behind the board for less points with equal or greater bite (marbo, harker's squad, al rahem). So I'm struggling to find their purpose other than just deep strriking, hoping I land on target and rolling really well. I can outflank also, but hey so can harker.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Online Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
Re: Stormtroopers Purpose
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 12:11:41 PM »
I take 3 groups in my guard list- their job is to deep strike suicide in and do as much damage as they can in the turn- usually with plasma. Hot shot and plasma work well with marines. Then they die in a turn or two, but that is ok since it buys me a little time for my other units- especially my 3 deathstrike missiles.

Are they over costed?

Yes, BUT when you compare it to your list it works out- you pay more for the storm troopers, but base stuff for guard is cheap so it works out and I don't worry about it.

That and they are FUN to play!
Though my men may sleep, and my ships rest at anchor, my foes know full well that big guns never tire...

Look on my works ye mighty, and despair...

Offline Rick17126

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 07:24:57 PM »
I get the point that there special ops and deep strike is what there purpose is. Problem is that I can get stuff behind the board for less points with equal or greater bite (marbo, harker's squad, al rahem). So I'm struggling to find their purpose other than just deep striking, hoping I land on target and rolling really well. I can outflank also, but hey so can harker.

Your also paying for utility. The standard load out includes a rifle, pistol and CCW, so if they have to mix it up in H2H (or it is of benefit) they can do so with more attacks. Like Fritz said, Deep Strike them in (if you use AO they can reroll scatter if it goes badly) near a juicy target. Give the bad guys a sunburn with the hotshots and your specials of choice. If they are not eliminated by your foe, then you have a chance for more disruption and the possibility of getting them engaged in melee with something, which will protect them from most ranged attacks and force your opponent to deal with them in melee (which just isn't efficient with most units).

For example, used them to deep strike near an artillery battery, after landing they engaged any security screen units placed to defend it (if no security fire at the crew).  If they can't get a another unit to intervene,  your opponent has to decide to ignore them with the support crew (continuing to fire down range) or they have to fire at the STs with the big guns and the crew (saving stuff down range). If they survive charged the battery and engage the crew, which gives the STs some protection (and stops the big guns) until they or the battery crew goes away.

Support vehicles (like deathstrike missile launchers ;)) are even more tempting targets since they have krak grenades as standard issue and the target is not likely to move.

Offline SailorCSN

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 10:35:54 PM »
Infultrate them for a speed bump, outflank against a infantry gunline (space wolves), and deep strike against land raiders. Melta is a great choice, even in 6th. Because if it absolutley has to go away, melta is the answer. And CC is a great choice now, everyone is worried about shots, not assault. The wargear is standard and they siphon off quite a bit of attention from your main force. Too bad they can't score. But outflanking in a chimera with dual heavy flamers is always a nice suprise. Just food for thought.
So many books, so many Burning questions.

Offline Colby

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 04:07:24 AM »
They're designed to take the mid to back field, particularly wipe whatever it is on a objective off and then die in a couple turns allowing whatever can ride in a Valkyrie to come in and deep strike the unit that will take said objective for the imperium.

Offline Bad Wolf

• Battle Brother
  • War doesn't determine whoIs right,only who is left
    • View Profile
    • Fearless 40k
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 01:30:48 PM »
they kill sisters of battle very well! T3 3+ save
2k Dark Angels
4k Grey Knights
4k Imperial Guard