Author Topic: How do i fight Imperial Knights?  (Read 1127 times)

Offline BorntobeMild

• Initiate
  • Sup.
    • View Profile
How do i fight Imperial Knights?
« on: February 19, 2017, 01:16:34 PM »
I play Orks and Space Marines (We typically ignore the who can fight who chart due to so many conflicts of allies in our small group) and whenever I fight an Imperial Knight, even one of them, I have been shot off the table before the end of turn 3. Even the allegedly unstoppable Ork Stompa was destroyed on Turn 1 without any sense of a lucky roll from the Imperial Knight. Every combination of anti-vehicle weaponry I throw at it results in a absolutely crushing loss.

I can't outrun it. It moves 12 inches and still can run after that, or even fire everything at full Ballistic Skill.
I can't out-gun it. Most variations are lined with guns and can take out most units in one to two swift shooting phases.
I can't melee it. It has a high initiative and may simply stomp and slash it's way through even the heaviest infantry, or use it's destroyer weapon table to cut right through the heaviest armor.
I can't meet it with equally tough walkers of my own, the Ork Stompa costs as much as 2 Imperial Knights.

It is so cheap (about 350 points), and riddled with such firepower, I can't take it on with anything

Lets say I make an entire force of anti-vehicle and manage to bring down one of them, there's a second one staring me down right after. Probably with enough points left over to bring in some serious backup to tear up the rest of my army.
  • Orks, Space Marines
On a WAAAAGGHHHHH since 1999.

Offline Eryx_UK

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • March of the Damned
Re: How do i fight Imperial Knights?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 03:00:40 PM »
It shouldn't be that much of a problem. I don't know Orks that well but marines should be able to bring down enough firepower with lascannons (devestators, predators and land raiders) or melta weapons. Try a drop pod list with veterans armed with combi-meltas on the side away from the void shield. Or get an Imperial knight of your own.
  • Death Guard / Nurgle Daemons
My Death Guard narrative blog: http://thedeathguard.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline BorntobeMild

• Initiate
  • Sup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 03:59:36 PM »
It shouldn't be that much of a problem. I don't know Orks that well but marines should be able to bring down enough firepower with lascannons (devestators, predators and land raiders) or melta weapons. Try a drop pod list with veterans armed with combi-meltas on the side away from the void shield. Or get an Imperial knight of your own.

Heavy weapons with my infantry isnt an option. It's a matter of dropping a 6 inch blast on top of them and they're dead.

Razorbacks and Land Raiders aren't an option, it's melee is a destroyer weapon, they will get ripped apart in 1 shot. Staying out of range of it's assaults is near impossible with it's 12" movement.

If I bring all of these anti-vehicle things, I'm just going to get overrun by the rest of the army anyway, because these are cheap enough that you can roll out a pretty standard sized army alongside it without having to worry much about points.

It's like fighting two armies at once.
  • Orks, Space Marines

Online Sensenbob

• Battle Brother
  • WHERE IS THE DEAFF COMPANYYY!?!?! :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 04:21:03 AM »
Imperial Knights have a weakness to fire from Multiple Directions, since the Flare-Shields can only point in one direction! Generally they are quite weak to flyers if they don't have the AA-gun.

Marines have a lot at their disposal to take one down:
10 Sternguard with full Meltaguns/Combi-Meltas in Drop Pod, exit in such a way that they can shoot at different armor facings, so he doesn't get a save from at least one side. Combat-Squad.
Meltaguns in general are good, maybe on Bikes / Attack-Bikes / Landspeeders so they can get the Knight from multiple directions.
SpaceMarine flyers are great at outmaneuvring them.
Terminators with Stormshields can do pretty well at tying the knight up in close combat due to the 3+ invulnerable saves and can even take down a damaged Knight in CC. (if he rolls a 6 for stomp you're out of luck)

Orcs may have a much harder time due to lack of Melta.
Deffkopters might be able to outmaneuver it and get shots into the backside.
Tankbusters get Tank-Hunters and in a Truck they are quite mobile to get different angles.
Best chance to take one down is with Meganobz&Killsaws unfortunately. 1-2 will die to his initiative 4 hits, the rest get to hit him at S10 Armourbane, plan the numbers accordingly.
I don't know the Ork Flyers' anti AV well enough, but have a look.

As for surviving.... If Your Dudes are inside transports they can't be hit by the templates until the transport is destroyed. But yeah, knights are scary!
=Blood Angels=

Offline Eryx_UK

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • March of the Damned
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 06:49:15 AM »

Heavy weapons with my infantry isnt an option. It's a matter of dropping a 6 inch blast on top of them and they're dead.

Razorbacks and Land Raiders aren't an option, it's melee is a destroyer weapon, they will get ripped apart in 1 shot. Staying out of range of it's assaults is near impossible with it's 12" movement.

If I bring all of these anti-vehicle things, I'm just going to get overrun by the rest of the army anyway, because these are cheap enough that you can roll out a pretty standard sized army alongside it without having to worry much about points.

To be honest I don't know how you are having so much trouble with it. I had a game against a friend a few nights ago where he played his Slaanesh chaos knight and I took it down first turn with two meltaguns and a multimelta. Maybe if you have enough boys get it into combat and lock it down for a couple rounds while you deal with everything else. I also come back to drop pod's with melta weapons. It can't defend against attacks from all sides.

Offline BorntobeMild

• Initiate
  • Sup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 12:33:03 PM »

To be honest I don't know how you are having so much trouble with it. I had a game against a friend a few nights ago where he played his Slaanesh chaos knight and I took it down first turn with two meltaguns and a multimelta. Maybe if you have enough boys get it into combat and lock it down for a couple rounds while you deal with everything else. I also come back to drop pod's with melta weapons. It can't defend against attacks from all sides.

I can't lock it up in assaults, it has stomp, it would take basically an entire squad of boyz for every turn I wanted to hold it up, not counting other units joining the assault, and assuming I make it into range with no casualties at any time.
  • Orks, Space Marines

Online Draco765

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 03:51:07 PM »
A Boy unit with Two Orc Power claws chew up Imp Knights.

Be sure to have the boys in front, the Pclaws one row back and off to each side. This helps limit how many boys are hit by the stomps that happen at the same initiative as the Power Claws.

Do not fear the D-weapons. Each hit can only kill one boy no matter how many wounds that hit causes. You will lose 1-3 boys a turn.
Do not fear stomps. They are only small blasts that they have 1-3 of. The hits are allocated just like a ranged blast. The 6 result is bad, but only the models under the marker are removed, which is why you put a claw on different sides of the base of the knight.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 03:59:09 PM by Draco765 »

Offline BorntobeMild

• Initiate
  • Sup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 03:57:17 PM »
A unit with Two Orc Power claws chew up Imp Knights.

Be sure to have the boys in front, the Pclaws one row back and off to each side. This helps limit how many boys are hit by the stomps that happen at the same initiative as the Power Claws.

Do not fear the D-weapons. Each hit can only kill one boy no matter how many wounds that hit causes. You will lose 1-3 boys a turn.
Do not fear stomps. They are only small blasts that they have 1-3 of. The hits are allocated just like a ranged blast. The 6 result is bad, but only the models under the marker are removed, which is why you put a claw on different sides of the base of the knight.

I've found that attempting melee with that thing is suicidal but I'll give power klaws a shot.
  • Orks, Space Marines

Offline Eryx_UK

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • March of the Damned
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 03:59:24 PM »
Out of curiosity, how much of your army is orks and how much are marines? Also, what sort of points do you and your opponent tend to play?

Online Draco765

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 04:04:30 PM »
Melee with them is not that bad. Just make sure you are familiar with the Stomp and Destroyer weapon rules. They can be confusing and people are likely to be playing them wrong.

I have a local player that uses 2 Trukks per knight to get the boy squads close, then charge on different sides. With two units, the knight has to pick one of them to hit with the D-weapon and stomps. If they roll 3 stomps they might hit both units...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 04:06:19 PM by Draco765 »

Offline BorntobeMild

• Initiate
  • Sup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 06:00:52 PM »
Out of curiosity, how much of your army is orks and how much are marines? Also, what sort of points do you and your opponent tend to play?

We don't fight orks and marines on the same list, I have two armies...

We typically play either 1250 or 1500.
  • Orks, Space Marines

Online Sensenbob

• Battle Brother
  • WHERE IS THE DEAFF COMPANYYY!?!?! :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 01:34:17 AM »
how many Knights do they bring at that level ?
=Blood Angels=

Offline Eryx_UK

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • March of the Damned
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 04:06:12 AM »

Ah. Sorry, I misread. I thought you had meant a combined Ork and Marine army. My bad.

Orks I will give you as having a really hard time bringing one down. I don't know enough about the Ork codex to give any suggestions there. I stand by what I say where marines are concerned though.

Offline BorntobeMild

• Initiate
  • Sup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 11:04:33 AM »
Depending on what they're equipped with, 2 - 3, with plenty extra troops as backup.
  • Orks, Space Marines

Offline Eryx_UK

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • March of the Damned
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 03:58:34 PM »
Now that is a big difference. 2-3 is really going to tough to beat for anyone. I assumed he brought just the one.

Two things come to mind depending how much of a good sport your opponent is. Firstly, ask him to field just one for a change. Secondly, ask them for their advice on how to handle them. Just an idea.