Author Topic: How do i fight Imperial Knights?  (Read 1128 times)

Online Draco765

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: How do i fight Imperial Knights?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 04:40:24 PM »
Depending on what they're equipped with, 2 - 3, with plenty extra troops as backup.

3 Knights are 975-1125 base, before upgrades. That does not leave much room for other troops.

Even so, lock them down with boys in melee, don't worry about destroying them, then use the rest of your army to score objectives. If you only play kill point games, time to switch to maelstrom or some other mission type.

Offline BorntobeMild

• Initiate
  • Sup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2017, 07:19:54 PM »
Now that is a big difference. 2-3 is really going to tough to beat for anyone. I assumed he brought just the one.

Two things come to mind depending how much of a good sport your opponent is. Firstly, ask him to field just one for a change. Secondly, ask them for their advice on how to handle them. Just an idea.

Tried that.
Says they're balanced just fine and it's just my tactics.
Even though I have others that have told me they're the most power-gamer codex to run right now.

I basically avoid playing against Imperial Knights every chance I get but every here and then I get roped into going against them when we're all picking our matches for the day.
  • Orks, Space Marines
On a WAAAAGGHHHHH since 1999.

Offline Verimor

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2017, 08:37:16 AM »
I would like to know more or less exact details of his 1500 point list, as it is not possible to run 3 knights, all gunned out, AND loads or troops.  However, off the top of my head a 1500 point salamanders melta spammin drop pod list should drop 2 of the monsters on turn 1-2.
  • Blood Angels-Salamanders-Nurgle Chaos Marines-Khorne Daemonkin-Eldar

Offline BorntobeMild

• Initiate
  • Sup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2017, 12:09:13 PM »
I would like to know more or less exact details of his 1500 point list, as it is not possible to run 3 knights, all gunned out, AND loads or troops.  However, off the top of my head a 1500 point salamanders melta spammin drop pod list should drop 2 of the monsters on turn 1-2.
I just built my first drop pod yesterday.

I will totally keep a melta-inquisition in mind.
  • Orks, Space Marines

Offline Verimor

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2017, 12:30:00 PM »
Hmmm, yeah I can't say buying hundreds of dollars in transports just to rub dirt in some kids hair is a sound idea. So, do you have a stable of transports? You could (once again Vulkan is your man for the match) spam rhino mounted squads at him, loaded out with melta tacticals, and melta sternguard, stormlance is perfect here.  Basicly, charge forward pop smoke. Next turn you start flashing melta shots with your stormlance guys (located in your center). And drive your sternguard around to his sides.

It will be a longer closer game, but at least even if you lose, it should be pretty close.

If you dont have any transports, or very few, he may be winning because he spent way more money than you (a sad but sometimes very real part of this game).

If you are lacking rhinos give us an idea of your collection, and I bet the guys here will have some solid ideas to give a good fight.

Offline BorntobeMild

• Initiate
  • Sup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2017, 08:40:02 PM »
Hmmm, yeah I can't say buying hundreds of dollars in transports just to rub dirt in some kids hair is a sound idea. So, do you have a stable of transports? You could (once again Vulkan is your man for the match) spam rhino mounted squads at him, loaded out with melta tacticals, and melta sternguard, stormlance is perfect here.  Basicly, charge forward pop smoke. Next turn you start flashing melta shots with your stormlance guys (located in your center). And drive your sternguard around to his sides.

It will be a longer closer game, but at least even if you lose, it should be pretty close.

If you dont have any transports, or very few, he may be winning because he spent way more money than you (a sad but sometimes very real part of this game).

If you are lacking rhinos give us an idea of your collection, and I bet the guys here will have some solid ideas to give a good fight.
Let me run you through my full collection of space marines since they seem most capable of fighting this.
1 predator tank w/lascannons
1 Land Raider Crusader
2 Rhino chassis (which can be razorbacks)
3 tactical marine squads
1 Drop Pod
1 Terminator squad
1 scout sniper squad
  • Orks, Space Marines

Offline Verimor

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2017, 09:36:32 PM »
Your collection makes for some fun and flexible lists.

You could run of your tacticals as a 10 man sternguard squad in your drop pod, cbat squad when they disembark so that you can stand on 2 facings of the knight.  Loaded out with meltas and combi-meltas, that would drop one knightalmost every time.

Try running multiple chainfist in your terminator squad (3-4), they will usually die, but should drop a knight, if it is damaged some before they go in.  I assume they ride in the raider, make sure you take that multi-melta on it.

Run your tac squads as 10 man squads broken down into a 5 man squad deployed in cover with a heavy weapon, and 5 more in a rhino carrying a meltagun and sergeant with combi-melta (can you tell I llay Salamanders?).

That is probably what I would run IF I played with your collection against a 3 knight list.  HOWEVER, I would recommend you just don't.  Playing against 3 knights is not very fun even with a list that stomps it (accept for that dark joy I feel inside when they are removed from the table), so, for me unless I am lined up against them in a tourney, or we had a fun narrative game put together, I would just pass on playing the guy.

Unless of course he is willing to run only 1 knight, as thats not a big deal and everybody has a good time.