Author Topic: It's been a while  (Read 297 times)

Offline Izzycat218

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
It's been a while
« on: February 23, 2017, 05:45:56 PM »
In my local area there has been a surge of new players. Which is awesome. That being said most of them have bought into tau. I dislike mirror matches to the extreme. So I'm back to playing marines. Sadly though I've forgotten the basics which is leading to lots of mistakes. I'll be playing ultramarines. Which has led to my first hurdle list construction, in the fact that ultras want a bit of everything to use the doctrines to there fullest. Any tips?

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: It's been a while
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 03:25:42 AM »
Bring a bit of everything.  Now, this could just mean a Battle Company if that's your interest but it also means that your normal list should be spread out a bit more.  If you're moving fast, use Tacticals in Pods, Centurions maybe in another Pod with a Librarian and Bikes, or look at Skyhammer though against Tau you will not get far with Skyhammer.  They're the main army that counters Skyhammer without a problem.  Pods in general get hurt against Tau..

If you're going slower, Tacs in Rhinos, Attack Bikes and Devestators.  Attack Bikes don't need to go ahead to be good gun platforms, and they can provide some much needed backup pretty quickly if you have good placement of your army.  Devs are not ever my choice in Ultras, but eh, it could be worth it depending on playstyle.

I'm a fan of Bikes and Tacs in Rhinos and Razorbacks.  Objective holding squads go in Razorbacks to be dropped off, and some bigger squads go in Rhinos to boost some areas with 3+ armor bodies.  But I also keep a focus on air power because I run Tyrannic War Veterans, so Stormtalons are a must in all of my lists.  And to make my Tacticals have teeth, I take Sicarus to stand in as my 3rd Company Captain, but that Primarch is making me consider some things.  Heavies are not represented in my list though.  I fill that role with tanks and Contemptors.  There's nothing wrong with skipping a doctrine when you have something like five of the things anyway.

Offline Izzycat218

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: It's been a while
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 11:45:26 AM »
Thanks for the reply. Riptide wing and retaliation cadre are the bread and butter of the new kids. One is playing optimized stealth cadre. Once I get into the swing of things it should be okay I hope. Going to need grav for sure.