Author Topic: Using Chosen  (Read 558 times)

Offline Ironclad13

• Battle Brother
  • Iron Within, Kill Main Burn! Ahem... Iron Without.
    • View Profile
Using Chosen
« on: February 27, 2017, 05:08:16 PM »
Hey folks,

So basically I love the concept of Chosen, each a champion in their own right, the right hand men of a Chaos Lord. I want to put a squad on the table but I'm looking for inspiration and ideas on how to get the best out of them.

I know Havocs/Terminators are cheaper, more cost effective, etc, but I want to put a squad down for fun as part of Warband formation.  Specifically as part of an Iron Warriors Grand Company.

My first thoughts are 5 Melta/Plasma Guns, Champ with combi, attached Sorcerer and Warpsmith (Cult of Destruction).

However any and all suggestions are welcome.
  • Chaos Space Marines, Astra Militarum, Eldar, Space Marines
Some are born great, others achieve greatness.  Some...

Some are still throwing spears at the buses.

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Using Chosen
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 09:33:44 PM »
There's no point in using Chosen as your main Melta platform with Iron Warriors when it's Havocs and Oblits that get Tank Hunter.  But without Marks, you're very limited.  I'd go with a less is more strategy here for the Chosen and make sure your Sorcerer, Lord and Warpsmith all have different strengths.  For instance, give your Lord Fleshmetal and a Sword and 4++, making him you generalist beatstick while your Warpsmith takes the Armorbane Axe for moping up squads or beating down tanks and such and your Sorcerer takes a Force Stave for some Instant Death at S6 for MCs. 

The Chosen themselves, I might give them two Meltaguns and bump their numbers up to seven, that way the HQs make it an even ten and they have a total of five meatshields.  Slap them in a transport, Land Raider is my preference but a Rhino might be all you can afford, and pick a target of opportunity.  It's not going to be very good, so make sure to beef up your Havocs and Oblits to soften up your opponent by the time this Chosen squad reaches them.  That way this ridiculously priced unit killing some 200pts seems like a good trade.  Turn them into a wannabe Death Star and you should atleast have a good time running them.

Offline Ironclad13

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 12:59:04 AM »
Yeah, I was never intending to use them against tanks. Havocs and Oblitetators just do it better.

I was mostly thinking massed Meltaguns so that they can shoot and charge other heavy infantry with character support.

Offline tomjashroom

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 02:51:03 AM »
Im taking 2 units atm with my chaos warband. x2 units of 5 with x3 melta guns and power sword on champ in a rhino x2. I run those next to my chaos lord on juggy who is with a unit of warptalons. I also run a vindicator with them. combined these units do pretty well on the ground taking out vehicles and dropping stuff. They do pretty weak against FMC but i dont have to play against that much and my turn 1 (black legion) terminators usually deal with them in a flurry of plasma death if I get first turn and they are grounded within drop and rapid fire range. 

« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 02:53:40 AM by tomjashroom »

Offline Ironclad13

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 10:55:28 AM »
Do you think power weapons on any of the squaddies is worth it?  I mean, they have the same stats as the Champion anyway so they'll be making just as many attacks.  I suppose it's only the Champion who gets to roll on the lucky dip chart, though.

Offline tomjashroom

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 06:48:13 PM »
idk becuase i dont play chosen with power weapons (I pref melta guns) but I did see a battle report where one bloke run a unit of like 8  and had x3 power mauls and a champion with a power sword. Doesn't seen too bad to me power mauls are inititve +2 stregth and with a Khorne mark and icon u could have +3 strength dudes on the charge (black legion hounds of abby could get +4 once per game if I remember correctly). Everything up to MEU would get saves but u could do some damage to armor targets and anything below that and then ur champ with sword can step up and mow down MEQ.

Offline Ironclad13

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 03:29:06 AM »
I've seen a few lists running single lightning claw for 15pts and bolt pistol.  Sure you don't get the +1 attack for having two weapons but you do save a lot on points and they have 2 attacks base anyway.  The shred rule then helps them overcome 3+ save with high toughness.  I might give that a try and report back (have a game later today).

Offline Merse24

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 02:44:04 PM »
I was playing in a friendly game this week and ran a unit of 5 with dual LC in the Butcher horde detachment.  Very expensive, but they performed very well. They took some casualties as expected running up the board, but the 2-3 guys that were left killed a unit of 4 devastators, the moved over and killed a unit of 4 regular marines and then another unit of 5 marines. They die just as easy as a normal marine, but they can dish out some punishment.