Author Topic: Using soulburst to charge after the unit's transport has been destroyed  (Read 898 times)

Offline vandamage

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Q: If a unit is embarked on a Transport, and the Transport is wrecked, is the disembarking unit allowed to perform a Soulburst action?
A: Yes (as long as they pass their Pinning test).

So...

Turn one. Harlequin player goes first. Flat outs his transports.
Turn one. Opponents half of the turn. Opponent destroys the troupes transport

Can the troupe charge with soulburst?Does it count as a different turn or does it disallow you from charging because he transport flat-outed that turn?

Offline iselbub

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
According to the recently released FAQ, you can Soulburst on a wrecked result but not an exploded result.

Online mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
Yes, and THB, it doesnt make sense as how is a exploded transport "unit destroyed within 6" different to say a vehicle wrecked, or, an infantry unit destroyed within 6".

But RAW, thats the FAQ, thats what sticks isnt it. Lets hope they dont explode your transports.

Online Draco765

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Yes, and THB, it doesnt make sense as how is a exploded transport "unit destroyed within 6" different to say a vehicle wrecked, or, an infantry unit destroyed within 6".

But RAW, thats the FAQ, thats what sticks isnt it. Lets hope they dont explode your transports.

It is all about the timing of when the transport is actually considered destroyed.

When it is a wreck, the transport stays on the table while the occupants disembark then the transport is considered destroyed. The occupants are now on the table to have the Soulburst effect trigger.

When it is an explode result, the transport is considered destroyed and removed from the table and then you place the occupants in that same location. The occupants are on the table now, but the Soulburst effect triggered before they were on the table. A different near by unit could have the effect apply to them though.

Offline vandamage

• Initiate
    • View Profile
I seen the FAQ but what I mean to ask is that if you preform an action which disallows you from charging that turn (flat-outing in a transport) does that stop you from charging in your opponents half of the turn?

Online Odras

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
I believe the answer to that is no, it does not stop you from doing that. I have had this discussion about the Yncarne and it's inevitable death rule, if I deep strike it using that rule during my opponents turn can I then charge during my turn. The answer we came up with was yes, due to the fact that it is stated that unless otherwise specified 'turn' refers to player turn not game turn.

By the same wording, if you did something that prevented you from charging that turn (being your own turn) that would not prevent you from charging on a different turn (your opponents turn).

This was the interpretation that the people I hobby/game with came too, and I have seen a few online views that agree with us, but as far as I am aware there is no certain ruling on that.

To add a little bit more clarification this is the way I am looking at soulburst actions and what is allowed / disallowed:
For my soulburst action I think, if this was my first (shooting/movement/assult) phase what would I be allowed to do. Eg. A shooting soulburst action. If this was my first shooting phase and I have moved in the movement phase such that I can not shoot heavy weapons I would still not be able to shoot heavy weapons, but what I did in my actual first shooting phase (run/turbo boost/etc) doesn't affect what I am allowed to do.

TLDR: Consider what my previous different phases allow me to do, but don't consider previous actions of the same phase in which I am soulbursting. All these things refer to restrictions for 1 turn (player turn) though, so none of these restrictions are in place on the opponents turn.

Through my limited play testing, I have no yet encountered a scenario where this thinking does not work and to me it seems a reasonably fair interpretation of the rules. Feel free to point out if you can think of anything though.

Offline Morollan

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
I seen the FAQ but what I mean to ask is that if you preform an action which disallows you from charging that turn (flat-outing in a transport) does that stop you from charging in your opponents half of the turn?

No. Unless stated otherwise, turn means player turn. So moving flat out prevents you from disembarking (and, as a consequence, charging) on your turn. In your opponents turn that restriction no longer applies as it's not your turn anymore.

Online mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile

It is all about the timing of when the transport is actually considered destroyed.

When it is a wreck, the transport stays on the table while the occupants disembark then the transport is considered destroyed. The occupants are now on the table to have the Soulburst effect trigger.

When it is an explode result, the transport is considered destroyed and removed from the table and then you place the occupants in that same location. The occupants are on the table now, but the Soulburst effect triggered before they were on the table. A different nearby unit could have the effect apply to them, though.

Have to admit I didnt think of it like that. In order of operations, since the occupants weren't on the table it makes sense they cant use the ability. and the FAW only addresses if the occupants cant use the soulburst... ok im down with that

Offline TearoftheDragon

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Plus it only works on assault vehicles.  No banshee's doing it from a wrecked serpent. Still not optimised them. :(

Online mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
Plus it only works on assault vehicles.  No banshee's doing it from a wrecked serpent. Still not optimised them. :(

Why is that? If the vehicle is wrecked they still have to disembark. Then they can take their soul burst action cant they?

Didnt the FAQ say specifically on exploded vehicles?

Online Draco765

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: Using soulburst to charge after the unit's transport has been destroyed
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 08:23:20 AM »
You still have to be able to do a legal charge.

The limit on not being able to charge after disembarking from a non-assault vehicle is still in effect. Same as if they are Pinned or Falling Back.