Author Topic: Synergy Units in Space Marines  (Read 359 times)

Online Blu Musketeer

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Synergy Units in Space Marines
« on: March 04, 2017, 07:10:09 PM »
 The idea for this topic came from one of Fritz's more recent videos (What Happens When Your Warhammer 40K Army Is Bad?).

In the video, Fritz suggested finding two or more types of units that would be able to synergise with each other.

This could be just me, but I've heard the term 'synergy' thrown around a lot around the forums. But not many people seem to go into detail after the name drop (e.g. specifying how the units synergise, what their optimal compositions are, etc).

I could be more of an intuitive thing, but I think it would be a good idea to have a discussion of which units synergise well with each other from the Space Marines (including Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Grey Knights, Space Wolves, Deathwatch).

Here are a few of my suggestions:

Land Speeder Storm + Assault Unit
- The Blind USR on the Storm's Cerberus Launcher has a chance to reduce the targeted unit's WS and BS to 1, making them vulnerable for the Assault Unit to charge.

Cataphractii Terminator Captain + Devastator Squad
- Joining the two together confers the Slow & Purposeful USR from the Captain to the Devastators, allowing them to fire at full BS on the move.
- Could be extremely potent with Grav-Cannons by somewhat negating their short range.

Scout Bikes + Deepstrike Unit
- The Scout Bikes use their Infiltrate, Scout, and 12" move to allow a safe deployment for the Deepstrike Unit.

Further suggestions and feedback welcome.

Offline Ironclad13

• Battle Brother
  • Iron Within, Kill Main Burn! Ahem... Iron Without.
    • View Profile
Re: Synergy Units in Space Marines
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 03:26:37 AM »
Synergy is anything that acts as a force multiplier. Anything that makes your units perform just a little bit better.

Even simple things like combat squads. I'm new to Marines but even at 750 points, for example, a 10 man tac squad with plasma  cannon, flamer and sergeant combi-flamer means they can engage almost any infantry unit. But in combat squads the plasma cannon can hang back and I can get aggressive with the flamers without sacrificing firepower or risk it to a counter attack.

At the same time as having weapons for any target and mobility, I can use the flamers as a screen to keep heavy infantry from getting to my long range guns buying extra turns take them out.

What about tanks?  That's Dev work but at the same time, I can use a combat squad Dev unit, one half to shoot,  another half to harass the enemy and protect their conrades.

It's a crazy advantage loyalists have over Chaos Marines and I can see it's benefits immediately, even in small games.
Some are born great, others achieve greatness.  Some...

Some are still throwing spears at the buses.