Author Topic: Ruining the Dark Eldar's Day!  (Read 1764 times)

Offline Jonny V

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Ruining the Dark Eldar's Day!
« on: March 22, 2017, 09:07:47 AM »
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to playing orks. I have a handle on the game but am still really getting my act together with them as I'm more use to playing Marines. However I've been tabled twice in a row by Dark Eldar! I understand that it's going to take me a good few games of mostly loosing to know where I need to go with this army but I was looking forward on both counts to giving the DE a run for their money and having a fun game in the process. Winning is of course nice but having an enjoyable game for everyone is more important to me.

Dark Eldar have a lot of nasty stuff, as many of you are well aware. Raiders with the dark armour that gives them +1 cover, splinter racks for twin linked cabalites, which of course are poisoned 4+. These things chew up my boys. I tried eavy armour last night and it made a slight difference but the volume of shots is insane! Dark lances on pretty much everything are a problem for vehicles and walkers too. The other thing of course is the maneouverability of their units and the damned jink save. Normally I love using lootas but a unit of 10 did very little damage.

So, I'm starting a fresh with my approach and I'm looking for tips, units, formations, tactics, the works because what I'm doing now clearly isn't working! We normally play between 1250 and 1500 pts I have access to most units in the Ork codex and can get my hands on more if need be. I'll scour the board for posts but if anyone can give me any points I'd be very grateful!

Offline TearoftheDragon

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: Ruining the Dark Eldar's Day!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 11:02:14 AM »
AV will be better than high T. Burners will destroy them, buff your LD as they have a fair bit to attack via it, anything that can give you Fearless, Stubborn or Zealot. All else failing Stompa's full of Mech's are tough nuts to crack but soak up your points.

Offline leE7_G4M3r

• Battle Brother
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 01:15:21 PM »
I agree, the burnas would be devastating to T3 units, plus if you put them in a battlewagon then you might not have as big a problem with the dark lances. What units are you having the most trouble with?
WAAAGH!

Offline TearoftheDragon

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 01:38:44 PM »
Burna's are great for those raiders full of warriors and the they have melta's bombs for heavier vehicles. If you are worried about range, stick a relay pipe in the middle of your deployment so they get a 12" torrent and have a cover save.

Offline Sensenbob

• Battle Brother
  • WHERE IS THE DEAFF COMPANYYY!?!?! :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 04:40:10 AM »
Poison weapons can't hurt your vehicles while lances can hurt every vehicle, so lots of simple Trukks full of Boyz should be offering the best protection for your points.
DarkEldar Vehicles are still only AV10 so Lootas should be able to crack them quite well even through the cover save!

As others mentioned, any kind of Flamer can really Hurt them if you can get close enough.
I just noticed: Warbuggies with Skorcha will be fast and immune to poison and add to the number of vehicles.

Tactics wise, probably focus on removing his transports for the anti-infantry-Dakka. His anti-tank then won't have enough shots to deal with your numbers.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 12:24:19 PM by Sensenbob »
=Blood Angels=

Offline Jonny V

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 08:46:49 AM »
Thanks for the replies everyone. Much appreciated!

A stompa would totally win the game for me and in larger battles that would be my go-to unit but at 1250 points it's way too much. What about a Gorkanaught?

It's the raiders full of troops that give me the biggest headache. 4+jink cover save, 3+ with their extra cover upgrade, 2+ with night fighting! A unit of lootas fireing at full pelt only managed to take one hull point off! They are my favourite unit though so I'll keep trying.

Burners sound like a great idea. I'll pick up another box of them next time I'm in town. What do you reckon to burna bombers?

Finally, I'll try 3 truks next time. What do you reckon to the eavy armour upgrade? Also, what about shootas for the boyz?

Thanks again for your help!

Offline leE7_G4M3r

• Battle Brother
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 12:38:51 PM »
Honestly, I wouldn't give the boyz 'eavy armour as DE have plenty of stuff that can defy the save, like the raider. I love the Burna Bomma, I have made greate use out of my one, but if they have a great cover save (like the raider) then 135 points might be too many points to spend on it, and I have not tried out the Gorkanaut or Stompa yet, so I don't know how well they would do, although on paper they sound invincible!
WAAAGH!

Offline TearoftheDragon

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 12:44:48 PM »
Stompa full of Meks is virtually invincible. For the raider stick with the Burna's, they ignore the cover, stick them in a truck for some speed.  Lootas in a Battlewagon are nasty too.

Offline Jonny V

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 02:37:44 PM »
Awesomesauce. Ok, so here's a list with these comments in mind.

1250pts

Warboss
- Lucky Stick
- Power Claw
- Warbike
- Bosspole

Painboy

10 Burnaz

Boyz (3 mobs, all identical)
10 Boyz with shootaz
1 Boy with Big Shoota
1 Nob with Shoota, Big Choppa and Bosspole

Warbikers
5 Warbikers
1 Nob with Power Claw and Bosspole

Battlewagon (For the Burnaz)
4 Big Shootaz
Extra Armor
Grot Riggers

10 Lootaz

The idea with this being that the Painboy rides with the Burnaz for extra moral and FnP.

What do you reckon?

Offline TearoftheDragon

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 04:20:46 PM »
Nice, just be sure to kill anything with LD moding capabilities.  And if they go Ynarri, destroy Shadowseers first.

Offline Jonny V

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 07:10:15 PM »
Class. I'll let you all know how I get on!