Author Topic: is it worth my money?  (Read 4274 times)

Offline steam

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
is it worth my money?
« on: June 18, 2013, 05:17:31 PM »
 Hey! I wanted to make and IG ally for my red corsairs. And for them to look chaos! I wanted to buy this guys
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Chaos/CHAOS_RENEGADES/RENEGADE_MILITIA_CONVERSION_SET.html
 Are this guys good sculpt? Is there much cleaning work to do?
 Or maybe there are other upgrade pack from different companies that could replace them?
 I really like the cultists from GW, but they dident expand them, and just put out a box of fsj@f 5 guys from the dark vengance box set.

Offline Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
Re: is it worth my money?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 02:42:38 PM »
Funny, i never thought we would be almost at the day where FW stuff is the same price or cheaper then GW regular stock...but I'm getting off topic.

I have a few forge world pieces and they look great, but I think the bigger question with the chaos renegades depends on you time, money, and onversion skills.

Could you take a unit of DV cultists and covert a few of them over with plasma guns and heavy weapon teams- the heavy weapons would be easy. They would look just as good and save you some real coin- which you could use for other 40K stuff.

If you aren't good at converting, nothing wrong with that, then it would be worth the money to have it look good and save on the time.
Though my men may sleep, and my ships rest at anchor, my foes know full well that big guns never tire...

Look on my works ye mighty, and despair...

Offline Khe-Loc

• Inquisitor Lord
  • Red goes faster .... and so does Saim-Hann
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 03:03:42 PM »
The only thing I ever got from forgeworld was an avatar of khaine. (the gw version is just waaaay to old) The model was great and I would compare the clean up work to a finecast model from gw. Idk though if the infantry fw produces is at the same level as their bigger pieces.

Offline Mecha_Buddha

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 10:47:24 PM »
I only have one FW model, and i will say the clean up and assembly of that model has made me shy away from more FW stuff.  Air bubbles, very fragile parts that snapped, gaps in the fit of the kit.

At the end of the day do you want to look at the cool FW model or are you getting it for rules?  It seems with the more rapid rules release from the GW side its inadvertently causing all sorts of rules problems with FW stuff.

Offline steam

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 10:18:08 AM »
Mecha_Buddha, Nope. I want them only for how they look cool.

Offline Skari

• Brother Captain
  • SkaredCast
    • View Profile
    • Main Channel Resource
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 09:07:00 PM »
IMO worth every penny. There is nothing like some FW bling!
Support me on the Patreon Page:
http://patreon.com/skaredcast

make sure you check out my blog:
http://skaredcast.blogspot.com
youtube channel
http://youtube.com/skaredcast

Offline BeeJ

• Battle Brother
  • Never Forgive, Never Forget
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 06:35:40 PM »
IMO worth every penny. There is nothing like some FW bling!

Well said and very true!
This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill, Fifteen percent concentrated power of will, Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain And a hundred percent reason to remember my name!

Offline IDICBeer

• Supporter
  • Supporter
  • Chapter Master
  • The Wonders of Warhammer 40k
    • View Profile
    • IDICBeer 40k
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 10:40:31 AM »
Nothing like telling everyone what bitz are forge world as they admire your minis ;)

Offline DiscoStoo

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 03:48:05 PM »
I've got few forgeworld models, and have never regretted any if them.  They're (the eldar ones that I have at any rate) the finest models I own.

Offline eris

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 09:00:08 PM »
Forgeworld's an odd one.. for the most part they're fantastic minis.. but they're possibly the worst casts i've ever seen in my life. I've picked up a fair bit of forgeworld stuff over time, for Eldar; the Phanton Titan, a Vamipre Hunter, Lynx, Cobra mk2, i've got some wasp walkers and spectres in a box waiting to be built and I've also built a Chaos Warhound as well.

Lovely models and you can make them look great (I know some other guys who are very much into forgeworld and theirs look beautiful compared to mine) but it is a massive amount of work most of the time. Gun barrels that look like bananas, big steps in surfaces where the two parts of the mold weren't flush, part which quite simply don't fit together (the vampire hunter is frankly an embarassing kit and i'm not sure how they can sell it with a straight face). Basically it's got to the point where i do avoid buying forgeworld as i know that's it's going to be terrible.

Obviously Eldar is my main army, but with the release of the new dark eldar mini's a few years ago i go into them as well. I'd love a Tantalus. It's a ridiculously sexy model, but I know in my heart that when it arrives it'll be a piece of ****. It'll probably take months to rescue it to the point where it looks even half decent and given the amount of other stuff i've still got left to build an paint, I just can't bring myself to be going near forgeworld for the forseeable future. it'd take something truely amazing (because the tantalus is great imo) to make me part with any money for forgeworld products again.

So yeah, I'd recommend steering clear of it over all. If you're just going in for some of the weapon swaps or shoulderpads or maybe one or two normal size guys, fine. but on the bigger stuff it can be hard not to end up slightly resenting the big price tag on such poor casts. A big shame imo because like i said, some of them really are beautiful models.

Offline Chaos_Inquisitor

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 02:07:05 PM »
So...been over a year.  Still, wanted to put my two cents in.  If you're getting the smaller models I would say it's been good.  I've gotten quite a few of them.  Mostly in the Horus Heresy line.  The issue I have is that a lot of their finecast is thin, giving it a bit of floppyness.  The pour chunks, where they poured the resin in to the mold, will sometimes break off taking a chunk with it.  This causes quite a few issues.  The other problem is that they are bagged then boxed.  Meaning they are pretty open to getting roughed up in transit.  The bagging also causes another issue...they don't generally, if ever, come with any sort of instructions.  Normally not a huge problem but as an example, I got the Death Guard Deathshrouds Terminators.  The issue of not having an instruction booklet became an issue when certain arms designed to hold the Scythe two handed I used for the one-handed version, and then the scythes wouldn't attach properly to the arms.  This caused me quite bit of frustration.

Now onto the price tag.  If you're in the UK I assume the prices are astronomically cheaper, since going into a gamestore and buying it you probably get a bit of discount.  Of course, being here in the states...paying for a 5 man Tactical squad of Horus Heresy marines costs about 23 pounds.  However, that doesn't include the bolters for them...another 11 pounds and comes only in packs of 10.  Now I have a nice blank slate marine, however if you want to get the shoulder pads that were specifically designed for your Legion...9 more pounds. So all in all...hugely over priced for what is a 5 man tactical squad.

So in short...they're extremely beautiful molds and models, and their details are insane...but pricetag and brittleness, and lack of instructions, causes you to look at it economically.  Do you have the wallet to support FW, especially if you build an entire army out of them.