Author Topic: New to Black Templars  (Read 776 times)

Offline jtod21

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
New to Black Templars
« on: April 03, 2017, 07:30:08 AM »
Hello all!

I'm new here, looking to see if anyone is available to help me out a little bit.

I've done a fair amount of research trying to get into the game.  After a lot of research, I've chosen the Black Templars.

I have read through the codices (4e Black Templars as well as 6e and 7e Space Marines).  I have already bought quite a few miniatures (2600 points worth).  I know this may have been hasty, but I think I bought a decently well-rounded army that will allow me to have a great start.  I also couldn't pass up some of the insane deals I got buying old troops off of some people who were moving to different armies.

Now for some questions! :D

1. My friends (and various videos) strongly insist that I buy Land Raider Crusaders.  I do very much want them, but they are quite expensive.  Is there some kind of loose rule I should follow with them?  For example, should I have one LRC for every 750 points? 1000 points? I think I want one for a six-man assault terminator squad (3 Hammer/Shield and 3 claws) with my Grimaldus plus 3 servitors.

2. Should I invest in drop pods?  I quite like the idea of barraging my opponent with a dreadnought drop pod or some terminators, but are they useful for the army in general?  Also, please let me know if you have a suggested loose rule.

3. Centurions, yes or no?

4. I'm playing largely against a TAU and Harlequin/Eldar army, if that helps!

If you would like to look at my army list, I can link it!

Thank you in advance for the advice!

Online Izzycat218

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: New to Black Templars
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 05:22:29 AM »
Hi, landraiders can work but for the most part they are overcosted for what they do. I run a lag with four of them in it. Sometimes it works more often than not it doesn't. I'd say if you like the model then pick one up you can usually find them for a reasonable price used.

Drop pods are pretty good as well, just keep in mind you need multiple to make sure enough stuff is coming at the same time otherwise it'll get focused down pretty fast. I've tried dropping a single dreadnaught in most of my games most of the time my opponents kill it the turn it comes down. I really like the model so I'll keep trying myself. I'v seen one player do really we'll with three in a squadron walking up the borard so that is an option too. They either do a lot for you or get one shotted.

Centurions are usually the best answer to 2+ hard to kill units. So if your opponents are playing riptides and wraithknights they'll do a lot for you. Best to pod three of them in. You'll want the grab cannons with amps for this. I haven't seen Or played the assault ones they don't seem to have a use right now. Some people play the dev ones with lascannons and missile launchers and with success as well. It'll come down to what you're local meta is really.

Hope this helps

Offline jtod21

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Re: New to Black Templars
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 11:32:36 AM »
Hey!

Thank you!

It does, it pretty much strengthened what I already believed.

At the bottom and as an attachment (PDF), I'm attaching my spreadsheet with my army - just if anyone is interested!  Feel free to give me suggestions for units or edit where I may have made a mistake.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zJuTrzURfZZG2FowT_q_gzRkt2I2aCkm-HzxYNgZ1Co/edit#gid=16