Author Topic: Ork faction focus  (Read 3251 times)

Offline new@40k

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Ork faction focus
« on: May 26, 2017, 09:42:21 PM »
I like the mob rule change orks are getting, I guess it's basically back to the way it was a few editions ago. I didn't play back then but it sounds pretty legit for massive 30 strong squads of boyz. My only issue is that it doesn't seem as useful for a speed freaks style list. I don't own any killa kans and i don't really want play a massive model infantry style list. I suppose battle wagons full of boyz might be interesting but your still maxed at 20 and battle wagons take up heavy slots/cost a decent amount of points. This is all theory, I know we don't know all the facts and that this was just a small sample of the ork changes. I guess my point is that I was personally hoping for more, not just fixing mob rule/morale issues. What are your guys thoughts? I watched a YouTube video from a pretty well known ork player on this subject and he was super pumped with what has been leaked about orks so far. The fact that orks can actually get a chance to hit first in the assault (including power klaw!!!) has me more excited than anything.

Online Draco765

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: Ork faction focus
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 11:18:18 PM »
We do not know the status of what slot the Trukks/battle wagons take. The Force charts we have indicate that they might just be "dedicated transports" which you just take one per slot that you used in the Force Chart.

DeffBossGitKrusha

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 12:32:51 PM »
I like the mob rule change orks are getting, I guess it's basically back to the way it was a few editions ago. I didn't play back then but it sounds pretty legit for massive 30 strong squads of boyz. My only issue is that it doesn't seem as useful for a speed freaks style list. I don't own any killa kans and i don't really want play a massive model infantry style list. I suppose battle wagons full of boyz might be interesting but your still maxed at 20 and battle wagons take up heavy slots/cost a decent amount of points. This is all theory, I know we don't know all the facts and that this was just a small sample of the ork changes. I guess my point is that I was personally hoping for more, not just fixing mob rule/morale issues. What are your guys thoughts? I watched a YouTube video from a pretty well known ork player on this subject and he was super pumped with what has been leaked about orks so far. The fact that orks can actually get a chance to hit first in the assault (including power klaw!!!) has me more excited than anything.
I like it. I play loads and loads of boys so for me it looks really good. I'm still working out how it will work with smaller units and be as effective.
I guess a mob of 12 would still be good, being LD 12. It'll just need some tricks to make it effective.Honestly if truk boys/speed freaks is the kinda thing your looking to do I'd take as few Boys mobs as I had to and focus on larger mobs of more killy units. Being a bit more of an elite army build might serve it well.
You'll have to plan your assaults and support them via assaulting one enemy unit with 2,3 or 4 of your own units. Your going to want an odd number of your units in any important combat so you have the most opportunities for fighting.
One build I'm thinking about is a classic Gorka Morka build. Foot units+ Fast units. 30 strong mobs, maybe 2 or 3 like that to LD buff each other probably 2 of those being shoota boys mobs. Screened by some Grots. KFF, Pain boy, warphead.  Then maybe 2 units of trukka boys and other stuff in trukks Add in Bikers and loads of small units of wartrakks.( No idea how this will work just yet, it's just a happy idea right now) A few Mek gunz and a few Dreads.

I read a comment over at Da-WAAAGh forums (or maybe on Dakka) that the Orks look to be an army that benefits from having lots of different kinds of units in the list now. Interesting if true.I still think, pick something for your army to do and do it well. Everything else not doing that thing should be in some way helping the army do that thing.

It's early still, I'm excited about 8th. The missions are where it's at. I think 8th will really bring back the Take all comers lists. Focus on scoring objectives and points over destroying your enemy.
I think Movement is the most important thing to focus on even for a foot army.
I'm looking at ways to slingshot my units across the board. Assaults followed by leaving combat with fast stuff, all to score objectives and earn points.
Should be a lot of fun.

DeffBossGitKrusha

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 07:53:13 AM »

Offline new@40k

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 06:29:35 PM »
6 fast attack slots would be interesting. A unit of bikers with a bike warboss/painboy and 150 stormboyz. Fastest green tide list ever lol

Offline brianstockel

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 09:30:46 AM »
^ That would be brutal. All them yeses!

DeffBossGitKrusha

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 09:41:45 AM »
Here's a link from Dakka showing Detachments.
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/726698.page;jsessionid=6C71E8443D66668E90B731479BE4894D#9386174
One thing I can't tell and haven't seen is, are we still required a number of troop choices like we are now and have been for several editions.
I haven't seen anything about that, I probably just missed it if it's there.
I also read that you can go over in slots for the cost of a command point. But I don't know the source of that information currently.
Unless they are referring to using one of these detachments over a detachment that would have more command points built in. (It's unclear to me.) 
Orks are looking good to me! Very excited to get my hands on the new book!

DeffBossGitKrusha

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 09:06:40 PM »
And speaking of the best army ever in the history of Warhammer 40,000...
Ork boys have S4 now. I haven't seen any new points costs for them that'll be something I scrounge around for next.
Funny bitz Nobs have LD7 boys are LD 6.  I never expected them to be so close to on par with Marines.
Boys in mobs of 20 or more gin +1 attack to their profile. so, 4 attacks with a choppa. And it gets weirder...get it... Weird boy can get a power that gives + 1 attack as well.
So, 5 attacks each. Nice.
So far the only stand out units..standing out as a possible issue is the bubble chukka. Which may well be better than it was in 7th albeit more random.
it has no weapons profile beyond range. You roll 4 dice then take turns assigning those number to the weapons profile. Ork player picks a dice first and I guess picks which stat they want to start with. Going to have to use some kunning with it.
Not enough information on the battle wagon for me to really get a good idea of how I feel about it. A few notes on it though. Deff Rolla looks good using the number of attacks of the wagon I think +3 to that number too. Should be killy.

I had higher hopes for the Boys mob. I had hoiped that they would get more than one "Special weapon" pre 10 models. ie more rockits or big shootas in the mobs.
This lack of a change will keep my using units much like I have more recently. Shoota boys with just shootas and a nob. Slugga boys with rockits or more likely big shootas.
Lots to digest from all of 5 pages of Ork related things.
Lastly Mob rule AoE is 6". 

Offline new@40k

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 11:15:47 AM »
New edition ork points have been leaked and it's pretty crazy. Vehicles have had a massive points increase but I believe that is pretty true across all the armies from what I've seen. Infantry lists are looking strong right now with the changes to template weapon and the doubling of transport costs. This is looking bad for my speed freaks  :'(

DeffBossGitKrusha

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 11:43:01 AM »
Yep, I have that file and the rules too.
Just getting started with my first list. So far all I've done is write down a list of things I want in my army. we'll see what happens from there.
Not mad about vehicles costing more, it should even things out as armies won't have a tone of them on the board.

Post your Speed Freak list so we can see what's up.
I may start out with a foot list just to get a feel for new hammer with easy units.

Offline new@40k

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 02:20:49 PM »
Just got back from my local flgs and they have a copy of the xenos 2 rules that I was browsing through. I bought every box of stormboyz they had after reading it lol, I've always liked them as one of my favorite looking models. Now with the points jump of trukks/battle wagons it seems like a great way of getting a large blob of boyz into combat quickly. I'm getting more excited about orks now but it's gonna be impossible to get as many vehicles in lists. My old list was 3 trukks with boyz and nob bp/pk, 2 battle wagons with boyz and nob bp/pk, small unit of mega nobs with mega armor warboss in a battle wagon, medium size biker unit with nob bp/pk and any left over points went into a couple deff koptas. You can probably guess how the army played... Get into combat as quickly as you can. I have a rather large ork army as far as models i.e. Lootas,burna boyz,tankbustas but I have always just kinda favored the assault more.

DeffBossGitKrusha

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 05:01:00 PM »
Sounds good. I started running points but it feels a little strange right now.
30 stormboys with a PK Nob 265.  I have to see if I have 60 of the or not. 
I really need to find a more organized way to tackle this.
I'm considering vehicle squadrons. Like Wartrakks or Deff Koptas. They eat up a slot so how many is good for the slot they take and how does that level based on their LD stat. If you see what I mean. With every unit having a LD stat now I'd hat to have two koptas killed then pickup the last three due to LD. (Maybe that's not a proper comparison .) Could be mitigated via Storm boys blobs or Boys mob within range...  Things I'm only now starting to think about.
How many points are you planning for?