Author Topic: 2000 point tyranid list- still learning 8th please help  (Read 943 times)

Online bumbleb1492

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
2000 point tyranid list- still learning 8th please help
« on: September 19, 2017, 04:47:06 PM »
Tyranid 2000 pts

Spearhead +1 CP

Malanthrope 90
Malanthrope 90

Exocrine 228
Exocrine 228
Exocrine 228

Bataillon +3 CP

Broodlord 162
Broodlord 162

Genestealers x20 240
Genestealers x20 240
Genestealers x19 228
Rippers x3 33
Rippers x3 33
Rippers x3 33

I'm still new to 8th and I was hoping I could get some help with this list. I want to build it but I don't really know if it's good. Any suggestions appreciated

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: 2000 point tyranid list- still learning 8th please help
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 06:07:41 PM »
Well it's not great.  Your most Damage is 2 from beasties that are only moderately survivable and you don't have the real threats to make your opponent shoot at other things.  You've served their target choice on a silver platter.  Heavy weapons into the Exocrines, everything else into the Genestealers.  There's no choosing what needs to be dealt with first, it's all the same units.

You have good table coverage with the Stealers, but Stealers can't lock down Fly or Super Heavies, and they do get bogged down with screen units if your opponent knows what's going on.  Deployment tricks are a must with atleast one of the units and you're just coming from the one direction.  Bubble wrap and proper fallbacks will limit the damage you can do.

This is just a spam army and as with all spam armies, there will be matchups where you slaughter because your opponent didn't bring enough tools for your strategy and matchups where you will literally get nothing done because your own toolbox is severely limited.  Things like AdMech, Knights, Conscripts and Mortarion Death Guard I expect will be hard for you to really deal with just to name a few.

Online bumbleb1492

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 06:38:53 PM »
What do you suggest for a tyranid list. I'm still learning and I know that exocrine are good and genestealers shred infantry. I've tried flyrants and they die too easy. I've tried drop pod with Swarmlord and it does kill things but not enough to make him worth the points. I've tried tervigon with termagaunts brood and the tervigon die too quickly. I just csnt seem to make a list that is solid.

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 07:00:48 PM »
Tyranids need threat saturation but they have to be able to apply pressure to your whole opponent's army or they'll break.  They don't have that one unit that makes everything else work, they have to work together to get anything done.  Two Stealer Broods is a good start, but they have to apply pressure Turn 1 and Turn 2.  I like the Swarmlord and a Trygon for this.  Don't Deep Strike the Swarmlord.  She has to hang out with the rest of the army, do damage no sooner than Turn 3 and if you want her to live, she needs Guards.  But on the plus side, if you take a Trygon and Swarmlord, you can drop the Broodlords.  They can't keep up when you get clever on how to use Stealers.

Your Heavies can drop a Malanthrope and an Exocrine.  You don't need to go so hard on a Character model that hides behind the Exos anyway, and three Exos is just too many points.  Biovores are my personal bread and butter.  They limit your opponent's movement phase if you miss and deal Mortal Wounds.  They synergize great with a Malanthrope and Flyrants.

Flyrants are supposed to die now.  Make them cheap, make them sacrificial.  They're support units.  Most of their damage will be dealt with Smite and when you add Biovores into your army, that's a good amount of guaranteed Wounds being shoved onto something.  Talons are still helpful if you can spare the points but honestly, they don't want to do much more than fly overhead, provide Synapse to the bugs that need it and cast Smite.  Monstrous Rending Claws are free and keep the Flyrant below 200pts.  I still always run atleast one just for support purposes.

Nids have big access to Mortal Wounds and I like to focus on that when picking how to synergize my list.  Pushing Damage through has to be your top priority and lock down what you can't kill as a secondary option.  Honestly, I've also been considering a Tyrannofex as a big threat but I have yet to test that one in particular.  Swarmlord casting Catalyst on it though might be something that steals pressure away from your Exocrines, which would be a big deal.

Online bumbleb1492

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 02:29:00 AM »
Somthing like this?

2000 point list

Battalion Detachment- 3 CP

HQ

Swarmlord 300 points
-Bone Sabres
-Prehencile Pincer Tail

Flying Hive Tyrant 171 points
-Monsterous Rending Claws
-Prehencile Pincer

Troops

20 Genestealers 240 points
-Rending Claws
-Scything Talons

20 Genestealers 240 points
-Rending Claws
-Scything Talons

Ripper Swarm 33 points
-Claws and teeth

Elites

Tyrant guard 111 points
-Rending Claws
-Scything Talons

Heavy support

2x Biovores 72 points
-Spore mine launcher

2x Biovores 72 points
-Spore mine launcher

Spearhead Detachment- 1 CP

HQ

Malanthrope 90 Points

Heavy Support

Exocrine 228 points
-Bio-plasmic Cannon
-Powerful Limbs

Exocrine 228 points
-Bio-plasmic Cannon
-Powerful Limbs

Trygon Prime 214 points
-Massive Scything Talons
-Bio-electric pulse with containment spikes
-Biostatic rattle

1999/2000 points

Warlord: Malanthrope
Warlord trait: 6+ Feel No Pain

7 Command Points

Swarmlord
-Catylist
-The Horror

Flying Hive Tyrant
-Onslaught
-The Horror

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 04:49:24 AM »
Drop the Rattle on the Trygon Prime for Adrenal Glands and some other tail.  The Rattle is horribly restrictive in the ability and won't help.  Adrenal Glands put that Trygon at needing an 8 on the dice to make his charge.  I like not running the Swarmlord as the Warlord.  Takes even more pressure away from her dying too early.  I think this will be able to hit a much wider range of armies.  A lot more ways to play based on your opponent's choices.

Online bumbleb1492

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 11:28:02 AM »
Alright I will do. Thank you for the help and hopefully I can start doing better in my games.