Author Topic: Primaris Astaeus Super-Heavy Tank  (Read 943 times)

Online sindri_tepek

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Primaris Astaeus Super-Heavy Tank
« on: October 12, 2017, 05:10:24 PM »
I...I have words. But they are words that are so salty about this piece of formed garbage, that they are perhaps best not suited to this this forum.

All I can say is that if GW believes it is a "modelling" company first and foremost, they need to get rid of the slap-dash creators of this travesty, and install some people with actual artistic vision. Kit-bashing is cool,and an integral  and respected part of the hobby, but it's something I envision more with Orks than Space Marines, especially since the return of the RowBoat.

Maybe the rules will make it desirable, but IMHO it just looks like a hack-job bit of steaming goat-s&%#@. I would love to be able to smash together a Repulsor and a Sicaran just to say "job's done" and then collect a paycheck.

GW, you have a magnificent amount of ideas to draw from... Don't be the tabletop version of  Electronic Arts or Ubisoft.

My hat is off to you for one thing GW; you made an amazing base for a Battle Wagon... too bad people were doing it nearly a decade ago you out of touch hacks....

Offline Eryx_UK

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • March of the Damned
Re: Primaris Astaeus Super-Heavy Tank
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 06:02:59 AM »
When I first saw the side on picture in the White Dwarf I wasn't impressed but once I saw the 3D spin-around video it has grown on me. I don't think it's as bad as all that. All the odd looking Primaris stuff is going to take a while to sink into the norm.
My Death Guard narrative blog: http://thedeathguard.blogspot.co.uk/

Online Wintermute

• Initiate
  • Blue and gold.....clean and sharp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 10:36:23 AM »
Mixed feelings here.
I don't love it.

I agree that you could make that thing very Orky.
Would be fun.
For Calth!

Offline SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 01:10:54 PM »
It's the Scorpion tank from Halo, but it floats. I'm into it. I'll name it Shiela and everything. But frankly, it does look like a foot and there's no going around that. It definitely isn't as bad as all that but if anyone dislikes it, they don't have to buy it. I can't imagine it's going to push out the Fellblade completely so SM players will have options.

Online sindri_tepek

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 03:30:23 PM »
I am just more disappointed in GW not seeming to put in any real effort into designing a new model for which players, or just collectors should be excited.

Plus, the notice of many different individuals that the model is eerily similar to the Halo Scorpion tank puts GW in definite risk of a much larger company coming down on them for potential IP theft just as GW did several years ago with Chapterhouse.

Offline SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 10:56:55 PM »
It might not be to your taste but others might genuinely like this style.  There's no reason a collector wouldn't like this model other than personal preference.  There was plenty of design work that went into it and it's a solid looking model.  Even the Chapterhouse thing is a non-issue since resemblance doesn't mean infringement.  GW's issue then was that CH went and took the names, descriptions and concepts that were GW ideas and made a model out of them.  Like someone making a movie based on the book, the book's writer deserves some kickbacks there for coming up with the idea and GW was not in business with Chapterhouse.  This is at worst an 'inspired by' concept and even then, who cares.  Design a wholly original tank and I'm sure someone somewhere has an image, model or digital render of something that is 90% of whatever you come up.  There is no IP theft whatsoever there.