Author Topic: FW question  (Read 1578 times)

Offline ghostmask10

• Chapter Master
  • In war there is poetry; in death, release.
    • View Profile
FW question
« on: August 31, 2013, 08:39:11 AM »
I know it sounds really stupid but I don't really know much about forge world, so can you only use FW stuff in Apocalypse games?
Feel the rush of the wind against your skin and hear her keening cry in your ears. Listen to her call well, for are we not the Wild Riders, the children of the storm?

Offline MBrenizer

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: FW question
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 04:10:40 PM »
Forge world has a variety of different uses. It makes some altetnative looking items that would be at home in your codex, as is. They also make alternate versions of units with their own rules and points costs. Consensus is that many of these units have a higher power-to-cost ratio than codex units, so be careful. In friendly games, make sure your opponent is okay with it. Some tourneys have rules that either allow or prevent those units. My experience is that, for fun games, as long as you don't abuse it, FW units are fine.

The third category of FW units are the ones that really just have a place in Apocolypse. Super heavy class, etc.

My suggestion is to get started with using FW parts to convert and customize your codex units. They'll look unique and let you make the army "yours."  Then, discuss with your play group/game club how they feel about other units.

Offline ghostmask10

• Chapter Master
  • In war there is poetry; in death, release.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 04:21:50 PM »
Forge world has a variety of different uses. It makes some altetnative looking items that would be at home in your codex, as is. They also make alternate versions of units with their own rules and points costs. Consensus is that many of these units have a higher power-to-cost ratio than codex units, so be careful. In friendly games, make sure your opponent is okay with it. Some tourneys have rules that either allow or prevent those units. My experience is that, for fun games, as long as you don't abuse it, FW units are fine.

The third category of FW units are the ones that really just have a place in Apocolypse. Super heavy class, etc.

My suggestion is to get started with using FW parts to convert and customize your codex units. They'll look unique and let you make the army "yours."  Then, discuss with your play group/game club how they feel about other units.
Feel the rush of the wind against your skin and hear her keening cry in your ears. Listen to her call well, for are we not the Wild Riders, the children of the storm?

Offline bruenor316

• Skald of Tra
  • Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 07:55:35 PM »
There's several tournaments that are allowing FW into the lists as well; some truly heinous looking lists have been created and used, but within a month or two, the counter-list/s are deployed (just like the regular units).

There's also utilizing FW Character models as counts-as, as long as you're clear with the opponent on what they are in the game.

Offline FalleN

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 12:33:13 PM »
The newer Forge World books coming out have Stamps on each unit entry telling you what its ok for. They will have "Apocalypse Only", "40k approved" and I think a stamp for stuff for 30k(Horus Heresy). If the unit has the 40k approved stamp than its supposed to be cleared to use in regular 40k. Like stated above I would ask your opponent if they are ok with it and If your going to a tournament they will probably have something about whether its ok or not but if they don't I would ask. More and more tournaments that I have seen are starting to allow it aslong as it has the 40k stamp. IMO the stuff with 40k stamp is ok to use.
"Our time will come again, Eldrad has promised us. Once more you upstart Mon-keigh[spits] shall kneel before our power! This time we will not be so lenient!"