Author Topic: Power Level over Points?  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Eryx_UK

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • March of the Damned
Power Level over Points?
« on: July 30, 2017, 05:45:55 AM »
What are your experiences using the two methods?

So far I've only played with the points system. I'm finding it just downright awkward to keep flipping back and forth trying to work it out. Most of the players at our club prefer the idea of points as a more balanced way of list building though. The power level system is much simpler but obviously does not take anything other than an estimated unit strength into account. But at this point is that such a big issue?

Thankfully I have a game this week with a friend to try out power levels over points. I'm curious though on your thoughts?
My Death Guard narrative blog: http://thedeathguard.blogspot.co.uk/

DeffBossGitKrusha

Re: Power Level over Points?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 09:59:50 AM »
There both fine. It more has to do with your expectations for the game your playing. I'm happy with either. One friend want's to only play PL another only want's to play Points.  PL's are easy list, every one gets what they want no worries. Our last game was a 4 player FFA so balance wasn't important. It was refreshing to just pick units. I can see points as a little frustrating but again not a big deal. For myself I'm learning what units I prefer in both ways of listing. Some units will stand out for their costs one way over the other.
I don't see it worth stressing over either means of army building or game play.

Offline Zarkil

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 05:06:34 AM »
I'm still in the 8th learning curve so I have only ben playing my friends and we use points. I love the option of power level to make it easier for new people to get into the game though.
Let's just save time and accept that I'm smarter than you 😘

Offline Eryx_UK

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • March of the Damned
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 08:55:43 AM »
Played the PL game last night. My Death Guard against my friend's Tyranid army. From the way some players have posted on various forums I expected something to be off but really it didn't play any different than a regular game. We just had some options that we wouldn't normally have taken had we been forced to find the points for them. List building was a damn sight easier as well, which I preferred. Might have to consider changing to PL over points and seeing if I can convince any other club members to give it ago.
My Death Guard narrative blog: http://thedeathguard.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline PepeTykki

• Battle Brother
  • Sanity is for the weak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 01:44:22 AM »
We've been testing the new edition with my pals and for the time being we have used the PL system cuz we just wanted to get the games going faster. It sure is the faster method but I still prefer the points system mainly cuz you have to make choices and define your army more that way. I am planing a campaign at the moment for me and my friends and I'm sure that for the campaign we'll be using the points system cuz it really matters then. But I see no real problem with the PL. If you want to get the game going and don't mind some balance issues then use the PL. But if balance is important for the game then it is better to go with the points.

On a bit of a side note: I don't like the way that the new point values are scattered all over the codexes and indexes. It really takes some extra effort to first count the cost of the model and then to find all the wargear it has and you want it to have. These points should be listed on the datasheets wargear options like it was before. Now it's a bit of a hustle to count everything.
For the Dark Gods!

Online Sensenbob

• Battle Brother
  • WHERE IS THE DEAFF COMPANYYY!?!?! :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 03:41:16 AM »
As long as all the players agree not to abuse the power level system with absolutely crazy wargear choices i think it's fine and fun, especially to quickly make a list for a not too serious game.
Usually we don't enforce WYSIWYG but for power points we use it to limit the wargear crazyness.

For example with BA Death Company, every single marine could get an Inferno Pistol AND a Power Fist for no additional cost, whereas points wise that would be an extra 40 points per 17 point Marine!

Of course you can also agree to both go absolutely crazy with wargear :D
=Blood Angels=

Offline PepeTykki

• Battle Brother
  • Sanity is for the weak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 05:13:13 AM »
That's the thing with PL, you can go all crazy with the wargear, but the same goes for the opponent. So I guess that it all boils down to the units them selves for balance. But I do recommend to use  some common sense when building a list. And of course communicating is important with your opponent in order to have a GG.
For the Dark Gods!