Author Topic: SaintedSavage's Death Company v. Hormagaunt Brood - 7/2  (Read 3465 times)

Offline SaintedSavage

• Initiate
    • View Profile
SaintedSavage's Death Company v. Hormagaunt Brood - 7/2
« on: July 02, 2014, 09:51:59 AM »
Good Morning Everyone,

I'm a brand new 40k hobbyist, with a "go big or go home" mentality (I just started playing and already have enough models to play Apocalypse games! :o), so I decided to dive right in and enter what will be my first attempt at a painted work. Well, second attempt; I've partially painted a Blood Angels Combat Squad, but put it on hold to do this contest instead.

After brainstorming for what seemed like forever, I've settled on a small diorama depicting a member of the Death Company facing off against (and, presumably, being slaughtered by) a swarm of Tyranid Hormagaunts. The "grim dark", hopeless mood of 40k was one of the biggest draws for me, so I'm really hoping I can successfully capture that feeling in my work.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 10:04:15 AM by bladeiai »
We die, though our war is eternal,
We are doomed, but we walk in darkness,
We are forgotten, yet the future is our gift to humanity.

Offline SaintedSavage

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: SaintedSavage's Entry: Death Company v. Hormagaunt Brood - 02JUL2014
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 09:55:56 AM »
This is what I knocked out so far. None of the models are actually attached yet, and I still have a ton of clean up to do, as far as mold lines and flash goes, but I'm feeling pretty good about the whole thing. At this point, I'm really just trying to decide the build and pose of the doomed Space Marine(s).

Any thoughts or suggestions at this point?

Offline bladeiai

• Battle Brother
  • A corrupted soul
    • View Profile
    • The Chaos Box
Re: SaintedSavage's Death Company v. Hormagaunt Brood - 7/2
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 10:09:15 AM »
Firstly, welcome to the board! Second, I really like the post you have for these exactly the way they are... I think the swarming look of the Nids is perfect as is the defiant look of the Space Marine.
Looks like it's going to be a great entry! Good Luck!

Offline SaintedSavage

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 10:20:13 AM »
Firstly, welcome to the board! Second, I really like the post you have for these exactly the way they are... I think the swarming look of the Nids is perfect as is the defiant look of the Space Marine.
Looks like it's going to be a great entry! Good Luck!

Thanks blade! I think the only thing I'm still not 100% on is the hammer; part of me wants, either a standing guy with a single outstretched bolt pistol, or a charging guy with two blood drenched chainswords. Although a lot of me really likes the hammer too. Decisions, decisions.  ::)

Offline Thodin-Torzak

• Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 01:05:30 PM »
Welcome also! I see you've been bitten by that pesky 40K bug too!!!! No pun intended..LOL
I like the hammer, not sure if it's to late or even possible but if you can twist his torso just a bit to make it look like he is winding up to take a swing like he's at bat. He is already leaning forward so it would ad a little more movement to your SM mini. Digging the nid swarm, they look like they are clambering over each other to go to work on the SM.  :D

Offline SaintedSavage

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 10:18:35 AM »
So I finally got my base finished, and I'm incredibly happy with the results!

Unfortunately, it's going to be a pretty tight race trying to get the actual models finished between the end of my work day and the contest end, so we'll have to see how far I get!

Offline SaintedSavage

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 09:12:24 AM »
So, life and work got in the way and I wasn't able to finish in time, but I had a blast learning how to paint, and I'm looking forward to the next competition! Next time I'll be sure to allot a little more time to get everything complete!

I'll post some pictures of what I was able to complete as soon as I can get them transferred to my computer.

Offline SaintedSavage

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 10:05:04 AM »
Here are some shots of what I was able to finish. I'll probably end up doing some more work on it this weekend and posting more pictures as I go.

Offline SaintedSavage

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 10:08:12 AM »
And a close up of the Death Company Marine's body. I still have a fair bit of cleanup work to do on him, but I'm pretty happy with the shading and mud effects I did.

Offline The Overlord

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 10:14:46 AM »
Make sure you post pics of it when you finish still, it's looking really good so far!

Offline SaintedSavage

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 10:36:25 AM »
Thanks, I will!

I still need to do a fair bit of sanding and touch up work to try and clean up the chunkiness of the primer. I'm not sure if it was the humidity, an old can of primer, or my complete lack of knowledge of what I was doing, but the primer on the figures came out with a really rough, sandy finish to it. That actually ended up being a big factor in me not finishing in time; I spent hours trying to strip and re-prime things that I should have just hit with some fine sand paper and painted. OCD problems lol