Author Topic: Team #3 Brushes with Heresy Discussion Thread  (Read 10005 times)

Offline tannibal_lecter

• Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: Team #3 Brushes with Heresy Discussion Thread
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2014, 11:43:01 AM »
That is starting to look awesome fallen star! I think a double wash of sepia would look best. I think nuln oil might be too much if you are  drybrushing the highlights.
I just finished my space wolves armour. Now on to the fiddly details. Pics soon.

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
  • I have a strong interest in Voodoo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2014, 03:25:11 PM »
Woooooooo!

Jason Voorhees LIVES!!!!

Just gotta get a base on him and he will be done!

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2014, 03:47:12 AM »
So, I just LOVE how my first hellbrute turned out, so I decided to paint up my other hellbrutes next!

Working on my forge and DV hellbrutes at the same time. Gonna try some cool warp flesh colors on my DV one.

Offline tannibal_lecter

• Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2014, 05:23:44 PM »
aw man, that is awesome work FallenStar!!

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2014, 12:04:48 AM »
Why thank you!

I'm really loving painting these hellbrutes! I was a painting maniac this weekend! Didn't get to devote as much time as I wanted, I had a 1k point 40k game Sunday and I watched another the Friday. So I didn't go full 40k hermit. But still, I'm pleased with what I got done   ;D

Gonna try to finish the fleshy parts of DV dude, the multiple wash thing I'm trying takes awhile between dry times. Probably just gonna get a second color on tonight. Old forgeworld bud might get finished tonight. Just gotta get the two washes on him and a few other color touch ups. We'll see.

Cheers everyone in Brushes with Heresy! I'm looking forward to seeing all of your submissions taking life!

Also, check out Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey. It's on Netflix and is Awesome to listen to in the background. Definitely check it out! Great painting show.

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2014, 01:20:12 PM »
Just finished my Forgeworld hellbrute! Gonna touch up the base alittle later after work, but for now it's done.

I was originally afraid that the wash was alittle lighter then the first hellbrute, but then realized it just has more white edge highlights then the first. Plus it makes it stand out alittle more.

Still making progress on DV hell buddy. Got the second skin wash and now I'm working on all the various machine bits sticking out of his body. Ya know alittle bronze here, some tin bitz pipes there, that kinda thing. If I have enough time after work I'm gonna see if I can blitz to the finish line!

Some pics for ya!

Offline Chaos_Inquisitor

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2014, 11:39:58 AM »
So here they are, my first submission is my Sternguard squad for my Loyalist Silver Knights Space Marine Chapter.

Here we have Veteran Sergeant Castor in his group of bonafide badasses.

Will point out that these guys are actually pretty kitbashed/converted the heck up.  All of them are actually using Dark Angels Veterans for legs and bodies.  Some have the heads as well.  All of them use the actual new Sternguard shoulder pads, and all of them have the GK Interceptor Backpacks, for some dramatic flair.  The two in front with the bolters are actually using the GW Deathwatch bolters, that have the nice scope adding to the whole "they are the best shots." The one that is turned on the right side is using the Space Marine Captain's stormbolter, and then is holding his bolt pistol.

Veteran Sergeant Castor however is really decked out.  I used a Space Wolf powerfist, so it can have this low slung hand.  His left shoulder pad is actually a Deathwatch shoulderpad, his pistol is the Captain's plasma pistol giving him a nice scope, and his head is one of the GK terminator heads, since they have the same size heads as regular marines.  All in all I really like how I built Castor as he has this pose of calm before the destruction, like he's just strolling up.  Either way...comments well appreciated, and I'm going to start diving in to them like a starving man at a buffet table.  Cheers!

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2014, 02:33:15 PM »
Real heavy on the kitbashing, I love it! I like your style.

Kinda hard to see exact details with such a dark picture and just primed black models, but I bet they will just shine when some paint hits em.

So I don't know too much about SM chapter colors or unit colors, so how are you gonna paint them up?

Offline Chaos_Inquisitor

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2014, 01:00:00 PM »
Silver Knights is my own chapter, they are a 3rd Founding Imperial Fist Succesor.

They get a coating of Leadbelcher, Nuln Oil wash, then done over completely in Ironbreaker.  Since this is the 3rd Company they get pauldron highlights of Kantor Blue.  Backpacks are Auric Armor Gold, with a little bit on top being white.  Eyes are done in Teclis Blue.

Sergeants are inverted.  They are primarily Kantor Blue, with the highlights being Ironbreaker.

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2014, 01:12:06 PM »
Sounds cool inquisitor, can't wait to see them done.

Just finishing my third hellbrute! One more wash, a few touch ups plus base and he's ready for battle!

Sorry to hear about your injury taninbal, hope you're alright.

And here is my third hellbrute almost done.

Offline Chaos_Inquisitor

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2014, 08:40:05 PM »
WOAH!  That third Hellbrute just...POPS!  Amazing choice of colors.

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2014, 11:23:10 PM »
And now my third hellbrute lives!

I'm so proud of how they turned out.

Honestly I'm loving this team painting challenge. Its definitely given me some real motivation to paint my very large (still growing) chaos army. Just the drive to finally get it painted now that I have a solid direction to follow and resultant that compel me to keep going, I can honestly say I have never been this driven to paint in the whole 3+ years I've been working in this hobby.

And the support from everyone is just awesome, I'm glad to be part of this group :)

Alright all sappyness aside, down to business! I've been primering like mad this weekend. Trying to at least get that much ready for all my units. So far I got my 4th hellbrute primed (plus all his possible detachable weapon options, I like magnets), some more cultists, my predator and second rhino are both half primed and I'm gonna get my warp talons and raptor primed Sunday. If I can at least get my whole army primed ready it will make switching projects alittle easier.

Right now I'm painting up my one rhino and will try to get it done Sunday.

Here are my 3 beasts ready to help me conquer the galaxy!

Offline Chaos_Inquisitor

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2014, 07:42:54 PM »
So posted up the completed Sternguard, and yes...they are pretty ---e.  Just kind of burned out with them, and I really didn't enjoy painting them as much as I thought I would.  Hopefully this new one will do it.  Legion Praetor, Death Guard.  Mmmmm get to try whole bunches of new things.  Unfortunately no kit-bashing or customization on the regular one, in Artificer armor.  However, I am going to go out of my way to make sure he's AMAZING!

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2014, 08:15:31 PM »
Ya know, they werent all that bad tbh.

The regular guys in cloaks looked pretty good. Only thing I would recommend is washing the white parts on the commander, then just going over the more flat edges later with more white. But beyond that they were pretty good.

Im SUPER looking forward to the death guard dudes! I just ordered some chain axes and the Nurgle Chaos sorcerer from forgeworld. So I'll be trying out some interesting nurgle effects on him when he gets here.

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2014, 12:51:12 AM »
Wooo finally finished cleaning lol.

Can finally get to painting. Probably won't finish these cultists tonight, but we'll see how much I can dish out before bed.