Author Topic: Recently off my paint table  (Read 4797 times)

Offline Jaysic

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Recently off my paint table
« on: August 23, 2014, 01:29:07 AM »
A few things that I've been finishing up / working on.

Shrikes are magnetized, took me months to build / convert / magnetize them all told. Genestealers are just being painted because...well I have the models. Occasionally run Manufactorum dataslate to moderate success, so I want to have them painted for that.

2 Carnifex, 2 Melyrants (Melee Flyrants), and 2 Malanthropes are behind my Genes.

Offline Jaysic

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: Recently off my paint table
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 01:35:30 AM »
Zoans were the first things I painted for this Hive Fleet, besides like 40 termagaunts. The leviathan ones I've painted, the 2 next to it are some ebay specials that have been on my backburner for over a year now.
Then the first of my 3 Tervigons.
Next my Swarmlord
Then my custom Doom of Malan'tai regular old Zoanthrope.

Offline AlmostMercury

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 05:49:28 PM »
Are those gargoyle wings?

Offline javaman21011

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 09:35:40 PM »
Swarmlord looks amazing. And yea, what'd you use for warrior wings?

Offline Jaysic

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 12:47:58 AM »
Yarp, those are Gargoyle wings. Green stuffed them onto the carapace.

Offline BeeCee

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 12:20:36 PM »
nice looking bugs man. Happy to see a fellow Leviathan-ian.
Check out my thoughts and below average painting as a member of the FTGT team.

http://ftgtgaming.blogspot.com/

Offline Vespan

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 04:06:22 AM »
I really like the idea of converting raveners into shrikes. I like the models, but so far I don't see much use for them on the battlefield. When I'll be building shrikes, I migt do the same :)

Offline Jaysic

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 08:56:39 PM »
I really like the idea of converting raveners into shrikes. I like the models, but so far I don't see much use for them on the battlefield. When I'll be building shrikes, I migt do the same :)

Shrikes are gold. Pure gold. You have to make them expensive to work, but boy howdy are they a wrecking ball. Lately I've been using a single unit of 3, AG,TS,FH,SC,LW/BS. They hop around as synapse and then become the Murder Brigade for anything that doesn't have a 2+ save. (183 points) Last tournament this unit killed Ahriman and a full units of chosen on the charge. In another game they killed a Seerstar with ID wounds leftover.

I also like the unit of 5 with RC instead of LW/BS (230 points). These are really good TEQ killers, so long as they don't have Storm Shields.

If running multiple units I do squads of 4. 1 LW/BS, 3 with Rc, and 1 with a BS. (209 points). Pinning, really good CC ability, Ablative wounds with the BS model, and the LW/BS to target down any special equipment that you decide should absolutely die.

Offline javaman21011

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 09:40:49 PM »
Do you hop them from cover to cover or take advantage of LOS terrain? I can't imagine they'd last long with how much AP 3/4/5 weaponry is out there.

Offline Jaysic

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 04:11:33 PM »
Screening hormagaunts+shrouded = 3+ cover save. They also are pretty low on the target priority list, and rarely get shot before over watch (which your horms can also eat for them)

Offline AlmostMercury

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 11:13:28 PM »
One of the best things about Shrikes is their ability to hop over LOS blocking terrain after taking cover behind it. That's probably what makes them work taking over Raveners, who would have to go around terrain or get shot at.

Offline javaman21011

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 04:22:09 PM »
Ahh makes sense. Sounds like it would tricky, the hormagaunts can only walk 6" and run d6 + 3"? And then the venom/malanthrope can only walk 6" and run d6" seems like the mobile cover would be slowing the Shrikes down a lot.

Offline Jaysic

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 04:57:40 PM »
Well the venom (ideally Malanthrope) moves 6, then has a 6" range for shrounded. This keeps it all in cover.  Add your run to that and you have more wiggle room.
Horms move at least 10" with their move/run, but that assumes you roll 2 ones on your run (not likely at all). In over 2 dozen games the shrikes have only been slowed down maybe 3 times (?), which isn't bad considering all the movement phases. And really you only need it for turn one...sometimes turn two if playing hammer and anvil. After that they should be in combat. I can't think of a game where they didn't get a turn 2 charge because of the gaunts

Offline Jaysic

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 12:17:15 AM »
Melyrant, with magnetized arms. I didn't like having to give up the arm sockets for wings, so...I didn't.

Offline mattblowers

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Gaming Blog
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 09:12:07 AM »
Nice job Jaysic, they look really nice.  I'd love to see an army wide shot. 

My worries on the way you run Shrikes is the amount of points you are sinking in a T4 model with only a 5+.  Charging a tactical squad often removes one from the equation.  I run a unit of 3 (maybe 4) with boneswords and one with a lashwhip.  I give them flesh hooks too.  I try to get them hidden in ruins for a 2+ cover save.  I use them for late game mobile synapse and MEQ hunting.  Terminators are the bane of their existence though.   BSs do nothing and termies remove a model per wound they get. 
Famous last words: "All I have to do is not roll ones...."

Check out my painting blog at http://lilliputianwars.blogspot.com/