Author Topic: Since everyone's posting pics...  (Read 1116 times)

Offline AlmostMercury

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
Since everyone's posting pics...
« on: August 28, 2014, 01:59:55 AM »
Here's a close up of my WIP Exocrine. I'm basically painting 4 "textures" of which you can see 2 here. The muscle needs a finishing highlight of bonewhite to bring out the joint pieces more, and the bone texture needs a final highlight and probably wash or glaze to smooth it out.

The carapace will be streaked/feathered up 4 colours to a dirty brown/orange, and the flesh will get some nice brown spots and a partial fading glaze of purple to get some colour in there.

Certainly needs some touch ups, but it's coming along quite nicely.

Offline javaman21011

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: Since everyone's posting pics...
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 04:14:20 PM »
Looks great, I love the reddish flesh areas. How did you do those?

Offline AlmostMercury

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 06:06:45 PM »
4 paint layers. You need a deep red, a brighter "orangey" red, a pink, and a bone (off) white. Take a deep fire engine red and base coat it. I had it primed black, so the first coat worked kind of like a wash. If your base is even, then wash it with maybe a sepia to darken the shadows. Then do a "wide" highlight with a brighter red leaning toward orange. A narrower highlight with the pink mixed with the brighter red. Then if you want only muscle and tendon, do a final highlight with pink. I chose to have bone visible so I highlighted with bonewhite.

After that you need a red glaze to wash over and re-saturate the colours. Finally, highlight to preference.

I recommend a gloss in the end to make it glisten.

The colours I used were all Vallejo Game Color: Gory Red, Bloody Red, Squid Pink, and Bonewhite.

Offline AlmostMercury

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 12:46:23 AM »
More pics. The right leg has the "flesh texture" about how I want it with maybe some minor adjustments to come. So that's 3 out of 4 textures on that leg while the others are 2 out of 4. I'm getting close to sorting out all of the formulas for my colour scheme. Pretty stoked about this...