Author Topic: The Warmaster Tactica!  (Read 3049 times)

Online Angelic

• Corsair of Yriel's Eldritch Raiders
  • Supporter
  • WARMASTER
    • View Profile
The Warmaster Tactica!
« on: September 03, 2014, 05:19:22 PM »
Hey everyone!

I was just admiring the tactica thread in the Eldar section and some of the very informative posts down in the Grey Knights section and I wanted to get this happening for all armies..

SO! First of all, any existing tactica that has been crafted and not stickied for some ungodly reason send me a link to it and I will take care of that. If any section builds up enough tactica i'll create and archive and update them regularly so that every user in a section can always access and comment on any articles. Make sure anything you send me is up to date (7th Edition, and in the case of codexes, something that isn't pending an update like Blood Angels, Necrons or Dark Eldar) so that it's relevant and useful for the people who are reading it.

SECOND! Anyone who wants to volunteer to create some tactica articles send me a message, send me a link to the post when it's completed and I will sticky it myself. On this I am thinking some reward will be in order for anyone who contributes, i'll have to speak to Fritz about this.. maybe a special title or something.. how does "Adept of the Librarium" sound? I guess that is open to suggestion..

Basically guys going through the threads here it's obvious we have a member base who knows their stuff when it comes to their army, so I want that to be shared throughout the whole community.. it might even encourage some of those lurking guests to sign up and post^^.

Let me know guys, I REALLY want this to happen, I may even start on some Grey Knight tactica myself~

Note. as for 'dexes pending an update, given that you're meant to be coming in short order it might be a better idea to wait for the update to drop, however if you still wish to write for the current 'dex i'll take it, just ensure you update your thread when an update occurs so it remains relevant.

EDIT: Here's a list of volunteers so far, if you want in pm me, there are no deadlines or expectations, it's basically write at will.

Grey Knights - mcphro, xAngelicZ, hillshire, Agtthot
Necrons (Pending Update) - TheOverlord
Eldar - Eldar Insights cover almost every unit but ARE NOT in line with 7th Edition (UPDATES NEEDED!)
Space Marines (All Chapters) - Dirty Harry
Space Wolves -
Blood Angels (Pending Update) - Bushleague, Remtek
Dark Angels -
Dark Eldar - hawkhaven667, Skari
Orks - hawkhaven667
Tyranids - AlmostMecury
Chaos Space Marines - Neojarlaxe
Chaos Daemons - Neojarlaxe
Inquisition - hillshire
Sisters of Battle -
Tau -
Astra Militarum - Jeffery
Other (Including Assassins, Imperial Knights, Legion of the Damned, Militarum Tempestus) - hillshire

UPDATE:
Hey guys i've been working with Fritz to get some recognition going for you guys and we've decided to add a special group for Tactica writers! It's purely cosmetic, but you'll have a purple name in the chat.. still working out other details but here's the criteria for entry.

"Criteria for the group- you write a tactica for one of the armies/forum sub sections and its your job to keep it up-to-date. From there it gets stickied at the top of the threads and I'll move the member to the new group. Their posts and everything will still look and work the same- the librarian membership group is only really cosmetic, but a good way to give thanks for the work"
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 04:09:15 PM by xAngelicZ »
The Dance Without End Begins..

Offline The Overlord

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
Re: The Warmaster Tactica!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 06:58:19 PM »
Dibs necrons once they get updated! Anyone who wants to help feel free to collaborate with me!

Online Angelic

• Supporter
  • WARMASTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 11:28:19 PM »
On that note, i'll make a list of volunteer writers for every faction. Remember that you're ideas will be open to criticism, but this is only to improve the quality of information these tactica articles have. If they ideas posted are vastly different it may simply be worth writing your own tactica, so we would have for example Overlords Necron Tactics and XRandomUSERNameX's Awesome Necron Tactics covering much the same units but in different ways.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 01:04:48 AM »
I've been putting off writing a tactics for a little while, I could write some of the space Marines stuff.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline Firedrake

• Brother Captain
  • Nemesor of the Nahrek Dynasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 05:14:57 AM »
Might do the Space Wolves soon.
Is it just me or is Games Workshop out to get our money?

Online Angelic

• Supporter
  • WARMASTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 05:05:29 PM »
Happy to put both of you up on the relevant sections, Harry I know is pretty active so i'll put his name up on the list, Firedrake if/when you decide to do Space Wolves let me know and i'll assign your name accordingly. Please remember to notify me if you write anything so I can assess and sticky it^^.

Offline Jaysic

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 08:10:34 PM »
Uh, I don't know about doing a whole Tactica for Tyranids, but I had a lot to say about something I felt passionate about (also what I play the most, as my favorite flavor of my favorite army); http://thewarmaster.com/index.php?topic=4122.0

I'm not a huge fan of Tacticas, tbh. While I think there is some good take-all advice in them, I think that the author's bias, as well as the 'accepted internet theory' is too built into them. I find this especially true of tacticas that are built in the "This color mean great, this color means OK, this color means never take" format.

To me this hurts an army more than helps it, as it only pushes the already popular units, and discourages experimentation with units that don't scream I'M AMAZING PAY ATTENTION TO ME.
Is it good for brand spanking new players? Yes. Is it good as a deep analysis that even self proclaimed veterans can read and say that they walked away with something they thought of before? If not, then could it really be called a Tactica?

Online Angelic

• Supporter
  • WARMASTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 03:25:04 PM »
I'm glad you feel so passionately about it all Jaysic. What we (at least I do anyway) tend to encourage here is a more open view of the units, initially this was the "Fritz view".. Basically how can we play a certain unit and leverage its strengths to make some awesome stuff happen on the table. You'll see that come out in almost all of the Eldar tactica, though i'll admit it's a little outdated.

As far as Tactica go for my purposes I have decided to implement a policy whereby I do not archive tactica unless it has received feedback and units have been thoroughly analysed by the community. Of course this has some issues since it's difficult to find if no one pays attention to it.. Well, I suppose i'll just sticky it.. Hm.. I can do this.

ANYWAY! I suppose you didn't need to see my thought process there. What I am looking for will basically be the author's opinion and experience regarding a certain unit. But I don't want you to be too hasty in dismissing that as biased and "coloured" as you put it. I think that the only way to get a well rounded view of a unit is compare and contrast the author's opinion and experiences with the feedback other users post and when they reply it's only natural they will agree or disagree with what the author is saying. Either way, you receive feedback as to the strength and merit of the ideas in the article and, if a user feels the author has 'missed' something it is added to the knowledge base for that unit.

Basically I don't like to think of a tactica article as the article itself, rather the entire thread including the ensuing discussion. That is what I feel the point of tactica articles are and why i'm encouraging them now. I have faith that the community won't take such a binary approach to the game and be a little more creative with their view of the game and I tend to encourage this where I can^^.

Offline Nebuchadnezzar

• Harlequin Scholar
  • Supporter
  • Brother Captain
  • Guardian of the Black Library of Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 01:03:36 AM »
I could try to help with eldar tactica
  • Eldar:3000pt Harlequins:2000pt
I mastered the chaos in mind and soul.
I will kill you and with a beautiful laugh I will dance until I go mad.

Offline hawkhaven667

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 06:16:43 AM »
Uh, I don't know about doing a whole Tactica for Tyranids, but I had a lot to say about something I felt passionate about (also what I play the most, as my favorite flavor of my favorite army); http://thewarmaster.com/index.php?topic=4122.0

I'm not a huge fan of Tacticas, tbh. While I think there is some good take-all advice in them, I think that the author's bias, as well as the 'accepted internet theory' is too built into them. I find this especially true of tacticas that are built in the "This color mean great, this color means OK, this color means never take" format.

To me this hurts an army more than helps it, as it only pushes the already popular units, and discourages experimentation with units that don't scream I'M AMAZING PAY ATTENTION TO ME.
Is it good for brand spanking new players? Yes. Is it good as a deep analysis that even self proclaimed veterans can read and say that they walked away with something they thought of before? If not, then could it really be called a Tactica?
When I wrote my OK tactics (which I lost and need to rewrite desperatlry) I did my best to state the strengths and weaknesses of every unit there was only one unit (tankbustas) which I really doted on and one unit (deffcoptas) which I said was too much of a liability to be taken very seriously bias probably will show through but that can probably be said of anything posted on a forum