Author Topic: New vs Old  (Read 1010 times)

Offline JakTorlin

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
New vs Old
« on: January 25, 2015, 12:48:28 AM »
So, I've just recently got back into 40k.  My first paint jobs were... let's just say bad.  After many hours on YouTube and reading different tips and ticks I think I've drastically improved on my artistic abilites.

These in no way the best miniatures ever painted.  It's just a noticeable improvement on my work I'd like to share.

Critiques are welcome and if anyone wants to know a way I did something, I'd be more than happy to share.

The first one is just a comparison of a Tactical Marine.
The second one is a comparison of an Assault Marine... because that's what the BA are all about!!!
The third is a Terminator Librarian
The forth is a Furioso Dred with Blood Talons.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
Re: New vs Old
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 07:06:32 AM »
Yep, it happens. Every time I tackle w new project I swear my skills double. I should do the same when I go back to painting my Black Templars after I'm done with Tyranids.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline JakTorlin

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 03:42:11 PM »
My friend has bunch of Nids, and while he doesn't like the army much he says they're really fun to paint.

Black Templar are a pretty cool army as well.

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
  • I have a strong interest in Voodoo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 07:58:59 PM »
Don't sell your work short JakTorlin.

For simple basic work your stuff is pretty good!

As for your particular models, I got one good comment and one CC I'd like to share.

First the comment: I really like how you did the wings on the dread, leaving just enough black in the shading to really give the multiple feathers proper depth. I've seen many people just slather on the white paint and dont even bother with shading, and it just doesnt do wings justice. Good job man.

Now the CC: With shading in mind, I think your models could use a wash on some of the lighter colors like the metals and yellows. Its a quick and easy way to give shading to a model and give it that nice 2D look. Normally how I've seen it done is you would basically paint the part in question (lets say the head in this case) the color you want (yellow). Then you would wash the said part in what ever wash you see fit (in this case I would suggest a black wash, null oil), then let it dry. Now because this is a darker wash the color will loose much of its brightness, so then after the wash has dried, just go once more over with the exact same color as before, and just hit the top edges of things, making sure not to paint over any of the nice black lines. After that you model will have a nice bright color with perfectly defined shading for depth. Making it look just SO badass in easy steps.

I really believe if you try this out, it will bring your models to life. It'll also open alot of different techniques to you as well.

Cheers buddy.