Author Topic: Making rivets?  (Read 2751 times)

Offline worldeater_az

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • My WIP Emperor's Children Army
Making rivets?
« on: February 09, 2015, 04:49:32 PM »
Does anyone have any ideas on how to go about making rivets for vehicles? I'm working on a chaos rhino. I'm hoping to use plasticard but I can't think of how to cut out something so small and round.

Offline hawkhaven667

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Making rivets?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 07:09:10 PM »
You could use greenstuff

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
  • I have a strong interest in Voodoo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 01:14:31 PM »
Depending on how big you intend to make the rivets, I'd take some extra scrap sprues (im almost sure you should have some), cut a piece off, then trim that small piece to look round and or hexagonal. It's simple, easy, you already have the material and tools, and you could make a few million in a day.

Offline Eng_Scotty

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
    • Check out the Conversion Fanboy Blog!
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 09:10:18 AM »
What you need is a 1/16th inch hole punch.

I have a writeup on my blog about this very subject.
http://conversionfanboy.blogspot.com/2012/10/rivets.html

Offline worldeater_az

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 11:07:14 AM »
What you need is a 1/16th inch hole punch.

Oh man I can't thank you enough for that suggestion!  Didn't even think about that and didn't know they made them that small.  It's a perfect solution!  I don't need as many rivets as your orks, but chaos trim without rivets is not truly chaos trim.

EDIT: Have you ever seen a 1/32" hole punch?  1/16" rivets may be too big.  I've found styrene rods at 1/32" (0.03").  Like you said, tough to keep them consistent and a pain to cut so many.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 11:27:42 AM by worldeater_az »

Offline MrSalamanders

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 01:29:20 PM »
With the styrene rods Ive first measure and hand drilled the rivet size hole. Then take shorten parts of the rod and glued them in. After dried, clip them the right hight(portrusion) and sand/file them round. Literally riveting the model with the rods. Time consuming but looks like gw made it.

Offline worldeater_az

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 03:13:32 PM »
With the styrene rods Ive first measure and hand drilled the rivet size hole. Then take shorten parts of the rod and glued them in. After dried, clip them the right hight(portrusion) and sand/file them round. Literally riveting the model with the rods. Time consuming but looks like gw made it.

I just bought some 0.030" styrene rods.  They are almost the exact size of rivets already on the GW models. I think I'll try your idea. What's your process for sanding them round?

Offline MrSalamanders

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 03:22:02 PM »
After glueing them in, you just clip them a little longer than how you want them. Then just use fine grit sand paper and do light gentle circles around each one. I'll try to scrounge up some examples. Sorry for the late reply.

Offline MrSalamanders

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 12:27:42 AM »
Just one of many ways to rivet. I find this the most realistic but extremely tedious.
Step 1: measure/draw out where you want to place the rivets. Mechanical pencil works best due to its sharpness. draw as many guidelines as you want depending on how accurate you want it.
Step 2: drill out the holes where you marked where the rivets will be. NOT WITH THE HAND DRILL! What are you a savage ork? First use an exact-o blade with a good sharp tip to prep drill the rivet hole. The exact-o tip spun right on the rivet mark will steady the pin vice for the initial drilling.[photo 1]
Step 3: use super glue on plastruct styrene material. Even though it seems like plastic, the plastic glue does not bond and melt together like normal Gdub plastic. Just glue them in and clip them just above the height you want them. To much rivet we can sand down, not enough and we have to drill again and it might not be so pretty the second try. I suggest using 6-7 1inch rods to glue in multiple spots. By the time you glue in  about 6 rods the 1st rod is dry and ready to clip which can be used for the next rivet location.[photos 2,3]
Step 4: sand rivets down with fine sand paper in gentle small circles, paying attention not to over sand the rivets away. Try to make all of them a consistant shape and height.[photo 4]
Step 5: cover all mistakes and blemishes with paint, damage effects and weathering.[photo 5 in holding progress due to other projects] hydra turret was scratch built because at the time the only hydra available was $100 forge world hydra which didn't go with the Steel legion closed cab aesthetics.
You can skip a lot of the procedures depending on what you're going for . Like orks don't measure and would probably have different size and shaped rivets clustered and reriveted over and over. Astartes rivets are larger the fewer in number than guard armour.

Hope this helped and good luck all you mini Rosies out there,"We can do it!"