Author Topic: Which codex does pure terminators best?  (Read 3441 times)

Offline Izzycat218

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Which codex does pure terminators best?
« on: September 16, 2015, 05:21:21 PM »
I've decided to build an army consisting of my favorite unit. I know it won't be very competitive but I think it'll be fun. Which book do you guys or gals think will give me a shot a winning when played well? What are the strengths and weaknesses of each codex?

Offline Hymns

• Initiate
  • I love you.
    • View Profile
Re: Which codex does pure terminators best?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 10:53:03 PM »
Personally I'd either go Blood Angels Terminators or Grey Knight Terminators. That's my thing.

A. Grey Knights if you want psychic boogaloo with Hammerhand/Sanctuary and Vortex and all that jazz. Bring fancy paladins if you're feeling extra manly. (Also seem to be most points appropriated, yet still a little expensive. All terminators suffer this syndrome however.)
B. Blood Angels Terminators with furious charge and + 1 Initiative, here they shine with either claws or hammers, so choose for your meta. Bring your favourite named character (Read: Mephiston/Dante) and proceed to punch everything in the face.

I use to play DA Deathwing back in 6th and I heard in 7th they've been nerfed, a lot of their sexy abilities being ripped out and given to vanilla marines in their decurion detachment equivalent.

Points drop for vanilla terminators, so they're cheaper. But still not low enough to be taken seriously, I suggest sticking to other chapter-specific codices (However I heard Gorgon Terminators for the Iron Hands are good, not sure.) 

Chaos Terminators from what I've seen are outdated and you shouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.

Of course, if you're gonna play for fun rather than WAAC. Choose the terminators that YOU want. If you want those sexy cream-coloured death-dealing plasma-spitting Deathwing than choose them. If you want the silver-plated Halberd-swinging psychic knights than choose them. If you want the blood-drinking face-stomping golden-boy lovers than choose them. Whatever works man.

Offline Izzycat218

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 10:21:25 AM »
Thanks for the info

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 05:11:45 PM »
I think space wolves do terminators the best. I'm also sure that chaos does terminators a lot better than people like to give credit for. Chaos terminators miss out on storm shields and hammers, but have instead power weapons and combi weapons. They're the cheapest TDAs out of any codex bare bones and have crap loads of options.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline MrSalamanders

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 10:58:16 AM »
Do you want to play assault termies or shooty termies?

Offline Izzycat218

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 11:19:52 AM »
Assault mostly with some shooting support.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 05:53:49 PM »
Well, chaos terminators are 31 pts per body if you just wanna mass a 2+ save with power weapon and combibolter, can modify how they function with marks and icons, seem to have more diverse power weapons and can take combiweapons as easily as any sternguard.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline Dihunter2

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 06:28:48 AM »
I would go dark angels... Take the dithering knights... They have a great weapon option, T5 when grouped together, and even +1 I.... the only really draw back is they don't have any good formation's that allow you to aggressively field a large army of terms in a single formation... Would need to take a CAD to get something on the field for turn 1.

Online Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 12:56:29 PM »
At this point I go with all power and combi weapons on my chaos terminators. Striking at the same time or first makes them quite powerful when combined with the 2+ save. I try not to think about the 5+ invul since if I have to make that roll something has kind of gone wrong- CST should not be fighting heavy hitters.

I agree that they make very good units to kill generic stuff like tac marines, but unlike TH/SS terminators they can't engage both.

Still one of my favorite units.
Though my men may sleep, and my ships rest at anchor, my foes know full well that big guns never tire...

Look on my works ye mighty, and despair...

Offline SittingInACorner

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 05:21:30 AM »
If you want to play all terminators the 1st company task force could be fun. you can literally play it in games from less than 750 to over 3000 all while being entirely terminators and land raiders.

Offline Izzycat218

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 03:47:02 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback. I appreciate it.

Online mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 06:08:28 PM »
Grey knight terminators...

1. They are troops
2. Librarian and sanctuary
4. Thunder hammers. ..for everyone
5. They look cool
6. Force. ..power weapons. ..for everyone

Offline MattyIce

• Battle Brother
  • 🖕🧀
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 07:35:11 PM »
7. After you take your troops you can then take Paladins 2w/apothecary/banner/more heavy weapons
🖕🧀