Author Topic: Small force to start tyranids  (Read 2141 times)

Offline Kyren201

• Neophyte
  • For the emperor!
    • View Profile
Small force to start tyranids
« on: October 03, 2015, 12:44:29 PM »
I've got a good sized space marine force now... Where should I start with tyranids then??? Any suggestions?
BARF

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Small force to start tyranids
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 02:41:00 AM »
The competitive models are: Flyrants, Malanthrope or Zoanthropes and Venomthropes, Mawlocs and Deep Strike Rippers in a CAD.

The best way to start though is get your idea you want to do and go all in with it.  There are Formations, Skyblight, Living Artillary Node, Endless Swarm, that help you focus in on how you want to play.  If you want a flying list, just buy what's in Skyblight bit by bit.  If you want a ground pounding list, there's the Wrath of the Hive Mind box that can get you started if you add another 30 Termagants to it, then add the LAN.  If you want Nidzilla, Deathstorm made the Carnifex pretty cheap and the Bioblast Node makes them better.

Everyone needs Flyrants.  Most people need Termagants.  Most fledgling swarms do well with a Tervigon and a lot of Termagants at the <1250pt games.  Mawlocs are beastly anywhere and can HUGELY change the way a game is going.  Zoanthropes are an 'ole reliable' choice at any point level.  Just don't go with average and middle of the road.  Tyranid swarms really need a theme to get the synergy going.

Offline AlmostMercury

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 08:51:24 PM »
Do you play competitive tournaments? Do you have a theme in mind? Are you playing for narrative sake? Do you already have any models available? Do you need to do it on the cheap?

I need more info to help you.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 10:07:59 PM »
Yeah, going middle of the road with Tyranids isn't the way to go. First off, get used to picking up your models. Tyranids generally have terrible armor saves so they die to a stiff breeze if its blowing in the right direction. Second, figure out which emphasis you want on your Nids. Do you want them to have a psychic superiority? Consider small groups of genestealers with a brood lord. Take zoanthropes and neurothropes. Take a flying hive tyrant. Do you want numbers? Take a tervigon, some venomthropes, as well as many many many termsgaunts. Are you a fan of null deployment? Rippers with the tunnel swarm upgrade are a go to for me. I like spending the points for spine fists because having 5 bases of rippers equates to an Astra Militarum infantry block of shooting. Third, what models appeal to you aesthetically? Much easier to commit when you like the models and are willing to put the time into making them work for you. Feel like being cheeky? Take biovores. They put artillery pressure on your opponent and help weaken lines for your assault bugs to crash. Do you like a lot of monstrous creatures? Carnifex are a tyranid players Swiss army knife for the heavy slot. They're bulky, they can take fantastic shooting weapons, and with crushing claws they will eat a tank for lunch.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline Kyren201

• Neophyte
  • For the emperor!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 12:49:34 PM »
Do you play competitive tournaments? Do you have a theme in mind? Are you playing for narrative sake? Do you already have any models available? Do you need to do it on the cheap?

I need more info to help you.
I mainly play at the GW store with my friends, I'm a little bit competitive but more in it for the fun, I got codex and a squad of termagaunts in order queue
BARF

Offline Kyren201

• Neophyte
  • For the emperor!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 12:53:29 PM »
Yeah, going middle of the road with Tyranids isn't the way to go. First off, get used to picking up your models. Tyranids generally have terrible armor saves so they die to a stiff breeze if its blowing in the right direction. Second, figure out which emphasis you want on your Nids. Do you want them to have a psychic superiority? Consider small groups of genestealers with a brood lord. Take zoanthropes and neurothropes. Take a flying hive tyrant. Do you want numbers? Take a tervigon, some venomthropes, as well as many many many termsgaunts. Are you a fan of null deployment? Rippers with the tunnel swarm upgrade are a go to for me. I like spending the points for spine fists because having 5 bases of rippers equates to an Astra Militarum infantry block of shooting. Third, what models appeal to you aesthetically? Much easier to commit when you like the models and are willing to put the time into making them work for you. Feel like being cheeky? Take biovores. They put artillery pressure on your opponent and help weaken lines for your assault bugs to crash. Do you like a lot of monstrous creatures? Carnifex are a tyranid players Swiss army knife for the heavy slot. They're bulky, they can take fantastic shooting weapons, and with crushing claws they will eat a tank for lunch.
thanks, all the models look really cool, I might try the full out numbers with a biovore in there to!
BARF

Offline Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 01:22:20 PM »
Flying hive tyrant to start- awesome model, lots of fun, and he will always have a place in your list almost regardless of what you wing up running.

Biovores are also fun/good.

Beyond that with all the options that Tyranids have you need to really look at what you want to run.

That said, in smaller point games, or with a small force 500-1000 points Warriors can be very good, but start losing their effectiveness in higher point games.

Genestealers are tricky to run now, and I feel like they have more working against them vs. with them.
Though my men may sleep, and my ships rest at anchor, my foes know full well that big guns never tire...

Look on my works ye mighty, and despair...

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 08:19:46 PM »
Genestealers do have a strong place in lists, they just happen to not be bum rushing up the table is all. Since Genestealers get objective secured in a CAD, they're great early game objective grabbers, outflanking line breaker stealers, and a good counter infiltration to your opponent. In small numbers they are easy enough to hide and can still do some mean harassment, even if you get unlucky enough to lose half the brood to overwatch. Remember, they're WS 6, which is almost enough to protect them once they make the assault charges.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline Kyren201

• Neophyte
  • For the emperor!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 11:53:33 AM »
Thanks guys, and thank you Fritz for making a video on the subject and I will take your points into consideration!  :)
BARF

Offline Battle-brother Dakrim

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 01:49:52 AM »

This is true, at 1000 points my opponent brought termigaunts, hermiguants, a squad of warriors and a hive tyrant. all in all about i'd say 75-100 models, i play SM and with bolters i proubly killed about 15-20 a turn. They drop like, well... like they're made of tissue paper. BUT he did make it into close combat. not that it mattered because for every model i lost he lost about 5. all i can say is make sure you're ok with praying that your models get across the table without too many loses, but hey. Nids are a unending swarm of nope roaches that NOONE wants to play against. It really is intimidating to see that many models on the table.