Author Topic: INTRODUCING DA GORKA'ZORD!!! WAAAAAGH! !!  (Read 2454 times)

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
  • I have a strong interest in Voodoo.
    • View Profile
INTRODUCING DA GORKA'ZORD!!! WAAAAAGH! !!
« on: June 26, 2016, 07:04:56 AM »
Yes puny ummies, tremble in fear at the awesome might that is da Gorka'Zord!
My custom built Gorkanaught.

A little back story.
So I got a colorful group of Killakans and Grots I lovingly call the Power Gretchen. They were painted by my brother to match the Gen 1 Power Rangers. If you arnt quite sure who they are, see this: https://youtu.be/FpcCoW5gA7w

Me and my brothers watched it all the time back in our kid years.
So each Grot has a color matched Kan to go with him and act as Zords.
For the longest time I dreamed that one day I'd model something to act as the combined "Megazord" of the killa kans. But at the time, the only giant walker that the orks had was the stompa. And there was no way I'd be able to model something that big.

So I waited.

Then this new unit the Gorkanaught came around.

Fast forward to this last May. A friend of mine decided to throw an online building challenge. Themed after the old game Gorka Morka, he pitched the idea that a bunch of us should try to custom build and paint an ork vehicle in one month. Naturally I was in.
I thought long and hard about what to build, and initially I was just gonna make a looted tank (because I didn't have one yet) but before I did I noticed my little Power Gretchen on display on the corner. And after that it all became clear. I was gonna fulfill a dream of mine, and create the Megazord varient of my Power Gretchen.

I would create a giant walker (that counts as a Gorkanaught) out of Killakans and paint it just like the Megazord. It would match both the Power Ranger theme and be orky AF at the same time!

And thus, the Gorka'Zord was born. Painstakingly crafted over the whole month of May, this guy was built as one giant labor of love. Many days of custom building, sending away for a base, and painting to honor it's Power Ranger heritage.

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
Re: INTRODUCING DA GORKA'ZORD!!! WAAAAAGH! !!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 07:19:58 AM »
Building this guy took up the first two weeks of the challenge.

If you guys are interested, my whole folder showcasing all pics of this guy can be found here: https://goo.gl/photos/WeUhRZ7SYB2YjMgz5

All the photos there are of the inspiration for the project (Transformers 2 Devistator was a huge inspiration), shots of the Power Gretchen, building pics, wip and all the finished shots.

This behemoth is made up of 6 whole Killakans, and one spare trukk. I had to make it out of the 6 kans (as to match the Power Ranger theme) but I later found out that one Kan cannot fit as its body. After much thought and trial and error I landed on using other parts to fill out the center mass. I had an extra trukk kit laying around so that became most of its body. I still added Killakan parts to the body to keep up with the look that the 6 original kans actually combined into this guy. I even went as far to match single parts and colors to the original Power Gretchen Kans.

To continue the story of the Power Gretchen I went one step further to model and build a custom set of nobs to act as "Power Nobs" to operate and travel with the Gorka'Zord. Each colored section is even built with a matching Ork Clan of the coresponding color. Yellow is Bad moons, red is Evil Suns, black is Goffs and so on.
And each Nob member of the Power Nobs is built and modeled with its coresponding color clan in mind.
And the best part is the Power Nobs can function in game as a proper 6 Nob group.

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 07:29:56 AM »
Some pics of note and some early WIP shots.

The first pic is a close up of the weapon arm, of course operated by the Bad moon Nob. Each limb is heavily modded to look as much like a mash of killa Kan bits, and the gun arm is no different. It's just loaded with killa Kan weapons.

The second pic is of its base.
I decided to do the base to look like old rusted and busted Killakan parts and other junk. As pretty much 90% of this guy is made up of spare ork parts.
That and the story for the Gorkamorka challenge was that these vehicles were made in a Scrapyard. So having the finished product walk around of scrap metal seemed appropriate.

The next 2 pics are early WIP shots. One where it's just washed on its claw arm, and the other where it's just recently painted.

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 07:42:43 AM »
More pics.

First one is a size comparison of the Gorka'Zord to a few other models. I tried to match him as close as possible to a real Gorkanaught in height, my guy stands I think maybe 10mm taller with his bits.

The second pic gives you an idea of how he's held together. Again check out my Google pics for more in depth look, but essentially each limb is held together by a skeleton collection of garbage spurs. He act as the bones to hold the main parts together. Then after I just mad glued random parts around the bone to thicken each limb. Armour plates, pistons, arms whatever I could find is built into his arms and legs.

The third pic is just a funny one I got. After each section was more or less built I had them all laying on the table. When I looked from above it looked like he was on an operating table or having an autopsy performed on him.

The last pic is of my Power Nob models.
From right to left it's:
A former speed freak Evil Sun.
A former Kommando of the Snake Bites.
A former (many of these now Nobs had previous jobs) Flash Git of the Freebootas, for the color pink :P
The boss Nob of the Goffs.
A former Tank Busta of the Bad Moons.
And lastly a Mek of the DeathSkulls.

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 07:45:36 AM »
Last two pics for ya.

The first one is of the original Power Gretchen that inspired such an awesome piece of orky knowhats.

The last pic is of the whole Power Ork family.
I haven't got the Nobs painted up yet, but rest assured that they will be soon ;)

Hope you guys enjoy.

Offline Sensenbob

• Battle Brother
  • WHERE IS THE DEAFF COMPANYYY!?!?! :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 05:20:01 AM »
This is sooooooooooo ---ing Orky!
Awesome Job  :o
=Blood Angels=

Online Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 09:52:10 AM »
Wow, awesome job.

Would love to fight that on the table!

Makes me want to start Orks....
Though my men may sleep, and my ships rest at anchor, my foes know full well that big guns never tire...

Look on my works ye mighty, and despair...

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 10:01:16 AM »
Wow, awesome job.

Would love to fight that on the table!

Makes me want to start Orks....

I think everyone should have a small group of orks in their collection ;)