Author Topic: Viability of Assault Marines In a Dark Angels Army  (Read 873 times)

Offline Aljeron2010

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Viability of Assault Marines In a Dark Angels Army
« on: October 14, 2016, 10:27:10 AM »
This is less about competitive play and more about fun. I realize the classic FA unit for Dark Angels is various bike units however, assault marines are such a fun unit and the idea of 20 Dark green assault marines with jump packs and raging red chainswords charging across the battlefield is awesome. do you think they are viable in a Dark Angels army? What about ones without jump packs in a rhino or drop pod? The more I look at the models the more I think the assault marines with just chainswords and pistols and no jump packs are incredibly cool looking.

Thoughts?
  • Dark Angels 3500, Tau 2500
Слава Україні! Героям слава!

Offline Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
Re: Viability of Assault Marines In a Dark Angels Army
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 10:50:31 AM »
Well I'm a big fan of them, always fun to play with how fast they can move, firing off bolt and plasma pistols before charging in and putting xenos and traitor to the chain sword.

From the competitive point of view many players don't use them as bikes are superior in many ways for ~ points.

Just as fast, higher toughness, and twin-linked on the bolter + range. Then there is the whole Ravenwing thing.

But Dark Angels do have assault marines in the chapter so it would not be out of place to play them.

I prefer the packs as they give mobility though the entire game. A pod will slam down and get you there, but if they live then what?

Size is also an issue- a big pack of them, the most fun to play needs cover to jump behind and lap-frog over- preferably LOS blocking cover, but you can also scoot them behind a land raider or razorback/rhino if smaller in size- and with the packs they can keep up if the vehicle zooms, and they can break off to intercept incoming stuff or add some additional punch to whatever is in the land raider or rino.

Online Nightwing7x

• Battle Brother
  • A moment of laxity spawns a lifetime of heresy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 08:13:11 AM »
Assault marines are one of those units in our book that does not get too much love. They are viable however, I always take them in a demi company and give myself 40-45 points to play with them. I always use them in conjunction with either the Chaplain/Company Master because their role is assault and that is where they are best so give them jump packs and then hope you roll either a 5 or 3 for you warlord trait on the DA table and your assault marines just got a whole lot better.

There are 2 loadouts I will give them:

1. Chaplain with jump pack, 5 man assault squad with jump packs, melta bombs and eviscerator. This is my tank buster loadout and has worked time after time.

2. Company Master with jump pack and dual lightning claws, 5 man assault squad with jump packs vet serg and power weapon. This is more so my infantry muder machine has worked and helped killed many a warlord.

BE WARNED however, the loadouts above have only worked for me as good as they have due to placement. For example hide your marines behind a building and if they rolled 5 for a warlord trait on the DA table then you can be more aggressive with movement and placement, 3 is still good and works wonders but they cannot be as aggressive with positioning as if they rolled a 5, as you lose out on that ability to move quicker and farther. As general advice for placement goes hide them behind a building and pick a target based on the loadouts mentioned above, have them get in get out and hold the objective after all they are part of a demi company and have objective secured. Even with 5 and 3 this is still a good idea as they can further help boost this strategy. PLACEMENT IS KEY WITH THIS UNIT.
  • Dark Angels

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 04:40:40 PM »
Lion's blade gets free transports right? I like the idea of some bare bones assault Marines in a razorback with heavy bolters
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Online Nightwing7x

• Battle Brother
  • A moment of laxity spawns a lifetime of heresy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 04:46:32 PM »
Yes the Lion's Blade gets free dedicated with 2 demi companies.
  • Dark Angels