Author Topic: Super fast moving clowns  (Read 581 times)

Offline vandamage

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Super fast moving clowns
« on: February 18, 2017, 07:18:34 AM »
Very excited by the new Ynnari rules. Soulburst could really help to make the Harlequins reach combat!

Reborn Warhost (1849)
Farseer, skyrunner 115
Farseet, skyrunner 115

3 windriders
3 windriders

Cegorach's Revenge
9 Troupe, 8 caress 219
9 Troupe, 8 caress 219
5 Troupe, 3 caress 119

Shadowseer, lvl 2, mask of secrets 100
Shadowseer, lvl 2 85
Shadowseer, lvl 2 85

Inrim's spectre
Death Jester
Death Jester

Solitare, Corag-Hai's Locket, HW grenades 165

2 Skyweavers, zephyglaives, hw cannon 130
2 Skyweavers, zephyglaives, hw cannon 130

Voidweaver

Shadowseers take VoT then try to get Word of the Phoenix from the Revenant discipline
Farseers to try to get Word of the Phoenix from the Revenant discipline. If they do, then look for invisibilty

What do you think?

Offline Sadclown

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Super fast moving clowns
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 04:23:51 PM »
I would go with 3 x 8 Troupes with 3 caresses each, drop one farseer and take 3 x 3 Winderiders with scatter lasers.

Offline vandamage

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 12:17:00 PM »
Ideally I would have like to have had 3 bigger troupes, but I think that having another farseer gives me more dice to roll VoT and gives me more chance to get the Word of the Phoenix power which greatly increases the chances of getting the troupes into combat. It's hard to make a list with the revenge formation because it is so restricting.

3 caresses seems very low though.

Offline Sadclown

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 11:16:30 PM »
The huge issue with having a caress on almost every model is losing them to overwatch. Three caresses may be too light, but eight is definitely too many. Perhaps three units of eight with four or five caresses.

Word of the Pheonix looks great. I think you'd have enough Warp charges with the three Mastery level shadowseers, a farseer and the random warp charges to throw enough dice at Veil of Tears, but the extra three dice from the additional Farseer would provide additional protection against deny the witch rolls from dice heavy armies.

Offline vandamage

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 12:13:19 PM »
Indeed, wasting points spent on caresses when getting raped by overwatch would be very annoying.

What about this:

Reborn Warhost (1849)
Farseer, skyrunner 115

3 windriders
3 windriders

Cegorach's Revenge
8 Troupe, 5 caress 180
8 Troupe, 5 caress 180
8 Troupe, 5 caress 180

Shadowseer, lvl 2, mask of secrets 100
Shadowseer, lvl 2 85
Shadowseer, lvl 2 85

Inrim's spectre
Death Jester
Death Jester

Solitare, Corag-Hai's Locket, HW grenades 165

3 Skyweavers, zephyglaives, hw cannon 195
3 Skyweavers, zephyglaives, hw cannon 195

Voidweaver

Have you much experience of running Harlequins without starweavers?
I've not plated Harlequins. I want to try and hone a list before buyin models I don't need. I want to use bigger foot-slogging troupes and want to know how easy it is to get troupes into charge range using VoT. Playing about with some sums, it seems like a farseer casting Word of the Phoenix would greatly help getting the troupes into combat.

Was slightly reluctant to let go of one of he Farseers as i'd like to get the word of the phoemix power at least twice to send in the solitare and a unit of skyweavers on the first turn. However, 3 skyweavers in a unit packs a much more effetive punch and the more I look at it the more I think that the list is better with 1 farseer as I now have 6 strong CC units rather than 4 and two mediocre units of skyweavers.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 01:01:58 PM by vandamage »

Offline Sadclown

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 03:38:00 PM »
I have only been running Harlequins in Starweavers. If I have first turn I use them to get to where ever I want on the board to allow me to charge in Turn 2. If I am going second I use the mirage launchers to keep them alive and then move and charge in my turn or get to where I need to be to set up the charge for next turn. Reborn Warhost will make Harlequins extremely competitive by granting them stubborn, the ability to ignore morale tests if within 7" of another unit, and activate two units for Soulburst. I can't overstate the strength of charging to avoid getting shot or to effectively have a second fight sub-phase if charging into an unengaged enemy unit during the Assault phase.

These are just observations about Ynnari on paper. One thing to remember is never use Soulburst to run.

Offline vandamage

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 04:42:30 PM »
Looking at probabilities for 2D6 in the table below, I think that to keep your troupe safe under Veil of Tears you would have to be at more than 18 inches away as there is a greater than 1/4 chance (27.77%) that you could be targeted if you are at 18'' and a much higher risk at anything closer.

Dice Score   Result exactly   Result or less   Result or more
2                      2.77                   2.77                  100
3                      5.55                   8.33                 97.22
4                      8.33                  16.66              91.66
5                     11.11                    27.77         83.33
6                     13.88                 41.66         72.22
7                     16.66                  58.33         58.33
8                     13.88                  72.22         41.66
9                     11.11                  83.33         27.77
10                       8.33                  91.66         16.66
11                       5.55                  97.22           8.33
12                       2.77                     100           2.77

Therefore, you must keep your units at 19'' away from the opponents units. Furthermore, as they can move in their turn before attempting to target you, the distance to keep your troupe safe must increase to 25''.

This makes it very hard to make a charge without a Soulburst action as (using rough numbers) you normally move 6'', run ~4'' and charage ~9'' a total of ~19'' (MAX= 24).

A soulburst action would give some greatly needed range allowing you to keep the troupe safe and make it into combat. For this reason, I think that the extra farseer is necessary, despite the loss of the extra skyweavers and even though it still provides no guarantee of getting Word of the Phoenix once or twice.

I also think that the army would function much better if you were able to cast the power twice a turn as in turn one the solitare and a unit of skyweavers can make a charge. Then in turn 2, two troupes should be able to make charges. After this, the opponents units should be getting destroyed/ tied up and the remaining units should make it into combat more easily.

Obiviously, all of this makes a strong case for puting the troupes in starweavers but to get Rising Cresendo in a Reborn Warhost (and thus get Soulburst actions) you basically have to take the Revenge formation  which means you can only take 3 troupes. In which case, I think you need o max the troupes out. And, bigger troupes should get more benefit from soulburst acions.

Just my thoughts

Offline Sadclown

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 07:45:59 PM »
Additional players provide less durability than a Starweaver especially against units that can shoot at multiple targets. Those units must declare all of their targets before rolling dice. A unit of Riptides could not target your Starweavers destroy it and then target your Troupe. Same with Centurions. Although an explosion could wipe your Troupe, it will most likely live through the first round of shooting. With your jetbikes turbo boosting across the table immediately after the destruction of the first Starweaver, you will be in a position to assault next turn giving your Troupes time to get into combat. While 2 hull points does not sound like a lot, the added durability of a 4+ invulnerable save will force the dedication of a decent amount of shooting to destroy just one.

Test it out. Proxy stuff before you make purchasing decisions.