Author Topic: 8th Ed. Are you ready?  (Read 8519 times)

Shadenuat and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline SailorCSN

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
8th Ed. Are you ready?
« on: March 25, 2017, 12:43:06 PM »
I can't wait for the new core rules. More than anything I hope this edition speeds up the game. Quite a few 2k games are taking upwards of 3 hours. With the sheer volume of free and reduced cost units, the board is no longer the size it once was. I'm thinking that 1,000 is the new 1750. Spikes Bitz had a video out recently talking about some of the chcanges and I can't wait. What about the rest of you?
So many books, so many Burning questions.

Offline Eryx_UK

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • March of the Damned
Re: 8th Ed. Are you ready?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 02:17:31 PM »
As a huge fan of how good 7th edition is, I'm rather hesitant to look forward to the new rules. I guess my concern is that the rules will see some dumbing down and a loss of what I enjoy about it. But as long as tactical objective missions remain and things aren't too simplified I'll be happy to play them.
  • Death Guard / Nurgle Daemons
My Death Guard narrative blog: http://thedeathguard.blogspot.co.uk/

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 02:30:33 PM »
Some I'm into, some I absolutely do not like and others make it so I legitimately don't want to play with new players, which is a bad feeling to have for the game.  Of course, it's all rumors and my own assumptions, so it will be interesting to see what comes out of it, but I'm more than a little concerned.

I like the way they're pushing the styles of play, but because I've never read the General's Handbook they referred to, I'm not 100% sure how that works.  The way they describe, a line in the sand between Unbound, Fluffy and Competitive, is friggin welcome.  If I can say to a person 'a Narrative game' and that automatically bans Taudar or Superheavies in games under 2.5k or whatever else it chooses to ban, I'm friggin game for that.  Everyone should play how they want to play, but there needs to be a defined difference between those groups.

Things like the Armor mods from guns I'm not into.  From the bit I read, they're pushing 'you just need to one the rules for YOUR models,' which is just not true if they are modding things.  You have to talk, horrible I know, to your opponent before every dice roll.  I played Infinity, which has many more mods for every friggin shot fired adding and subtracting from the number you need and I haven't played Fantasy, where they've all but said is where they're pulling this system from.  So from my experience in Infinity, it slows the game down a lot.  It's not like currently you see how many wounds and then you immediately roll your save.  It's little things like that that do save time, but it is immersive.  I'm not thrilled with that idea, but it's definitely not a deal breaker right ff the bat.

The new Morale looks cool though.  I'm looking forward to the thematic move of Orks and Comissars on beating and killing the few models that try to run.  Having the rules show four men piss their pants and try to run then having their Comissar shoot one and threaten to kill the rest until they're back in line, that's a cool little tidbit.

But the changes to each model having their own little Fantasy-esque movement number is off putting.  This is th bit where I won't want to play against new players.  Currently, if they're on foot, they move 6, if they're not, they move 12.  Bing bang boom, done.  Changing that will mean that new players have to look up each individual unit's move, and since I've seen new players screw up consistently what BS4 means, a number that is not different across entire Factions, I have to double check that crap.  There are certain people in local gaming groups that I just do not think have the memory to not accidentally cheat or screw themselves.  I can see the frustration there already by adding another number to a statline...  It's a small group of people I'd have this issue with, but it is just another step that makes playing them a chore instead of fun, and that's not fair to them or me.

Offline TearoftheDragon

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 03:25:13 PM »
I like the different movement and the save mods from 2nd ed, things I still miss. Stops the game being about high strength or mass shot only, gives use to mid stat weapons, more shots or range than heavier but more chance of punching through the armour than light arms.  I'd like to see fixed charge distance back.

Offline mercedes 308

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 06:07:56 AM »
When you look at GW rules in general, doesn't inspire confidence.

Online DeffBossGitKrusha

• Brother Captain
  • Shoot da choppy ones and chop da shooty ones!
    • View Profile
    • work in progress
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 07:40:50 AM »
I'm 50/50 as far as excitement goes. I'm not in a rush to buy the new rules and plan to wait for a soft back, if the rules are in a starter box. Either way I'm not interested in shelling out more than 30 bucks for rules. Depending on what becomes of the Orks I may finally paint my Harlequins and buy the few vehicles for them possibly starting the E+DE+H but as a slow grow project.   Pointy ears always seem to get the best shtuff when it comes to rules.. proving that the rules written by the elves...
Chop! Chop! Chop! Chop! Chop! Chop! Chop!
WAAAAAAAAGH! Dakka Dakka Dakka!
http://warhead01.blogspot.com/

Online Draco765

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 08:24:21 AM »
I think my Necrons  will be fine to change over.

But my Forgeworld model that I just got (kharybdis assault claw) to run the Fist of Khorne formation might not make the transition very well.

Online MiniTV

• Initiate
    • View Profile
  • Tyranids: Orks: Necrons:
The Great Devourer for the win

Online MiniTV

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 10:02:27 AM »
Yea they even posted a FAQ.
  • Tyranids: Orks: Necrons:
The Great Devourer for the win

Offline Eryx_UK

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • March of the Damned
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 12:28:38 PM »
I'm not happy that all the money I spent on Traitor Legions and the Gathering Storm books has been a big waste of time. Bit of a d**k move but hopefully the edition will be worth it.

Offline Ironclad13

• Battle Brother
  • Iron Within, Kill Main Burn! Ahem... Iron Without.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 01:07:08 PM »
I'm not happy that all the money I spent on Traitor Legions and the Gathering Storm books has been a big waste of time. Bit of a d**k move but hopefully the edition will be worth it.

There's theoretically nothing stopping you from continuing to play 7th edition, also, 8th edition has been in the rumour mill for like 2 years now.  It'd be a bit naive to rule out any possibility that things might not port over.  GW have done it before with 2nd to 3rd edition so there's even a precedent.  For myself, I mostly picked up Gathering Storm for the storyline.  I'm a bit sad that Traitor Legions isn't going to port over but I'm hoping there will be an 8th edition equivalent at some point.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the alleged streamlining they keep promising us.  Doubtlessly there will be some changes that I don't like because they mess elements of my army up but equally there will be other mechanics that I can take advantage of to leverage the system against my opponents.  As far as mechanics go, I don't think it'll be better or worse per se, merely different and there's going to be some adjustment required.  I for one intend to embrace the change (hail Tzeentch!) rather than complain about it, if nothing else it'll give me a head-start over the players that don't.
  • Chaos Space Marines, Astra Militarum, Eldar, Space Marines
Some are born great, others achieve greatness.  Some...

Some are still throwing spears at the buses.

Offline Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 03:08:49 PM »
So as mentioned the FAQ is up, which gives us a few more ideas but no real clarifications.

I'm not surprised that all codes will be null and void- how were they GW going to make those work with a new rule set, but I also feel it's a jerk move. Especially if you just bought stuff. Make all the rules and model related data for FREE would help.

I'm also interested in these 3 ways to play- sounds AOS like to me.

Still not much of an FAQ.

I really wanted a hint on the new starter set.

Offline Ironclad13

• Battle Brother
  • Iron Within, Kill Main Burn! Ahem... Iron Without.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 11:51:50 PM »
Still not much of an FAQ.

I really wanted a hint on the new starter set.

Yeah, there's not much confirmation in the way the new rules will actually work which is unsurprising but disappointing none the less, start box(es) too for that matter but GW generally play with their cards close to their chest so if they've actually announced 8th ed proper, finished products can't be too far behind.  I'm hoping they'll be up for pre-order before too long and then we can have a good look at them.
  • Chaos Space Marines, Astra Militarum, Eldar, Space Marines
Some are born great, others achieve greatness.  Some...

Some are still throwing spears at the buses.

Offline Eryx_UK

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • March of the Damned
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 08:03:46 AM »

There's theoretically nothing stopping you from continuing to play 7th edition, also, 8th edition has been in the rumour mill for like 2 years now.  It'd be a bit naive to rule out any possibility that things might not port over.  GW have done it before with 2nd to 3rd edition so there's even a precedent.  For myself, I mostly picked up Gathering Storm for the storyline.  I'm a bit sad that Traitor Legions isn't going to port over but I'm hoping there will be an 8th edition equivalent at some point.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the alleged streamlining they keep promising us.  Doubtlessly there will be some changes that I don't like because they mess elements of my army up but equally there will be other mechanics that I can take advantage of to leverage the system against my opponents.  As far as mechanics go, I don't think it'll be better or worse per se, merely different and there's going to be some adjustment required.  I for one intend to embrace the change (hail Tzeentch!) rather than complain about it, if nothing else it'll give me a head-start over the players that don't.

It's been in the pipe line for a while now and I don't have a problem with that. I do however feel that a change in system was not what we wanted nor needed. 8th edition needed to remain the same system but tidied and with the problems fixed. We have had this ruleset for nearly twenty years now and it works. No need to replace what isn't broken. I've also picked up the Gather Storm for the storyline as I'm enjoying the "fall of night" fluff for the game right now but I do feel it's a lot of money to spend on that when I didn't even get anything from the books for my army (and that's not me whining just making a point).

Offline Charley359

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 07:04:21 PM »
Just my 2 cents.

I play Dark Angels all the time and have built a few small allied armies to vary up my teams.  But at the same time while I have these forces I also have no venue since the one I used to play at discontinued the game time slot on Sundays since no was showing up.  Also most of the players stopped playing and hated 7th edition rules.  I enjoyed 7th but was a very small minority.  I also have no interest in driving 65-70 miles over to Chicago to play at the nearest active 40K venue.

Right now I think my biggest complaint for 8th includes the main fact that all of our codex's will be of no value and cant be used in 8th.  My son has 5 or 6 of the new codex's since he has built or had been building an army for each one.  In a couple months there all worthless, really sucks to have wasted that money.

About the rules, are we going to get a couple of pages per faction in the new rules book so you can build an army of your choosing?  Or a generic rules book and a pdf file for each faction?  With all the rumors online and flying around from all the players I'm not sure which way to turn. 

I originally wanted to increase some of my armies.  I've already got nearly 7000 points in Dark Angels alone, so I don't really need anymore. I'm not sure if I should sell part of it, most of it or my allied forces since I have no idea if they will still be legal to use in 8th.  I like running my DA in the Battle Demi-Company with a Blood Angels close combat allied army. Or teaming up my DW Redemption Force or RW Strike Force with either my Cadian or Ultramarine allied army.  Am I going to be able to do that?  I don't know. 

I watched the video from GW yesterday that game out a couple days ago and it really didn't say anything.  Right now I just see too many questions out there to make any kind of answer.  I truly feel we'll all just have to wait and see what happens.