Author Topic: 8th Ed. Are you ready?  (Read 9027 times)

SharkoutofWata, Leftovers44, Shaggy 40k and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Eryx_UK

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • March of the Damned
Re: 8th Ed. Are you ready?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2017, 01:26:18 AM »

About the rules, are we going to get a couple of pages per faction in the new rules book so you can build an army of your choosing?  Or a generic rules book and a pdf file for each faction?  With all the rumors online and flying around from all the players I'm not sure which way to turn. 

I think this is where we will see the game become like AoS in the beginning. You'll be able to buy the rulebook or download the basic PDF for free. Then you will get basic free codex downloads like they did with the old WFB armies until new codexes come out.
  • Death Guard / Nurgle Daemons
My Death Guard narrative blog: http://thedeathguard.blogspot.co.uk/

Online DeffBossGitKrusha

• Brother Captain
  • Shoot da choppy ones and chop da shooty ones!
    • View Profile
    • work in progress
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2017, 06:41:11 AM »
I'm not even mad about My codex and supplements being unusable in 8th edition. The same thing happened between 2nd and 3rd edition. I got mad at that time but after not playing for over a year or more between those edition changes it didn't matter. All the rules , they said, will be free to download. I have 23,000 points of Orks. I just started playing AoS last year and have yet to play a game over 1000 points. (But in fairness I've played a total of 7 games now)
The freshness of learning a new game has been fantastic. I started collecting and playing Orks in 3rd edition and Orks have been abused from their 4th edition codex on to the current set of books. So it can only get better. If not. Well I'll probably just sell my stuff and get as much as I can out of it.
Chop! Chop! Chop! Chop! Chop! Chop! Chop!
WAAAAAAAAGH! Dakka Dakka Dakka!
http://warhead01.blogspot.com/

Offline brianstockel

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2017, 07:45:32 AM »
I agree with you DeffBossGitKrusha about the codexes. As far as my ork miniatures, I'm well behind you in points and I'm waiting to see how 8th changes the table top portion of the hobby on where to move next. I intend to collect them anyway because I simply love the models.

Online DeffBossGitKrusha

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • work in progress
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2017, 08:49:51 AM »
I agree with you DeffBossGitKrusha about the codexes. As far as my ork miniatures, I'm well behind you in points and I'm waiting to see how 8th changes the table top portion of the hobby on where to move next. I intend to collect them anyway because I simply love the models.
;D
Once you get locked into a serious Ork collection the tendency is to push it as far as you can. lol.
But, I'm also at the point where I think I have too much and...less would be more. It would make my army more playable.
I've thought about starting pointy ears next edition and I still might but one thing that AoS did was create new armies for a new game. I'm hopeful we see that but I kinda doubt we'll see too much of it with such a huge line of miniature they already have and so many of them are relatively still new. Just looking again at AoS I might expect 4 new armies but it's easier in AoS where there's so much new to explore. But I'd say buying a new army released after and for 8th edition is a safe bet for not being left in the dust of old 40K. It is what it is. If the games fun and has fun missions and colorful armies it's going to be ok.
I think once we see the lay of the land I'll set out an army and make sure it's all fully painted and finished and just play that for the first 10 to 20 games then move up in points after finishing the next set of points. (Even my painted models need just a little more loveage, my whole collection is more or less levels of work in progress.) If I do E+DE+H, they wont even hit the table until they're all painted and finished. I did that with my AoS Bonesplittaz and it's been completely rewarding. Heck my team probably had the only painted army last Saturday at the tournament. (first one in 7 years and we took 2nd place 4 points under the first place winning team...nearly beat them in round one too.. Oh well, lol.)

Offline Charley359

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2017, 05:53:13 PM »

About the rules, are we going to get a couple of pages per faction in the new rules book so you can build an army of your choosing?  Or a generic rules book and a pdf file for each faction?  With all the rumors online and flying around from all the players I'm not sure which way to turn. 

I think this is where we will see the game become like AoS in the beginning. You'll be able to buy the rulebook or download the basic PDF for free. Then you will get basic free codex downloads like they did with the old WFB armies until new codexes come out.

Thanks for your thoughts.  I've never played Warhammer or AoS so this is why I'll ask this.

In my Dark Angels I love to build my armies to some of the formations in my codex.  Battle Demi-Company, DW Redemption Force and RW Strike Force are my three favorites.  With that said, when Warhammer changed to AoS.  Was there formations like this specific to one faction is the old codex's and if so were they still valid to be used in AoS? 

Offline Charley359

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2017, 06:19:15 PM »
My son listed to the FAQ podcast yesterday and was telling me some of the changes.  From what he was saying all of my favorite Dark Angels formations will be gone by "Mid-June?" possible. But it does sound like the ability to play them will still be there since no points will be used in the new version. 

Even without a venue to play at  locally.  I think I'll have to pick up or download the new rules since its only suppose to be 12 pages long and any references to what I'll need for my faction.  Hopefully the venue changes their mind and gives 40K back a time slot.

From what it sounds like. both Orcs and Imperial Guard will be some of the best choices to use in the new version due to being swarm type armies.  At least I have a small Cadian force.  May have to look at increasing some of it. 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 06:21:55 PM by Charley359 »

Offline TearoftheDragon

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2017, 12:36:41 AM »
If the initiative stat is gone with no other mechanic, I hope there are some serious points adjustments as Orks will benefit compared to a Marine who benefits compared to Nids and Eldar.

Online DeffBossGitKrusha

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • work in progress
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2017, 05:23:30 AM »
As long as it's 1 marine is worth 3 Orks I'll be happy. 
Non-Space Marines will still, I'm sure, suffer in the areas that marines excel at. I expect "Battleshock" to not really effect Marines much at all. I think the big picture will be that even though Orks should be really good in close combat when charging,shooting will still hurt like it does now. It could be that with the negative save modifier Ork players decide to buy Evy' armour for that 4+ save ( or what ever it becomes) over what ever their starting save is ( or isn't...) pushing up the cost of the Orks due to necessity. (The save may be a wast of points for the Ork player but points spent anyway.)
Don't forget we still have to learn more about command points. And there's the possibility of negative modifiers in close combat and possibly shooting.
Marines will have a fight on their hands but if they play smart should do fine.
As far as points go I'm looking forward to seeing just how different Power Points are to "granular" points and the new missions!

Online Shaggy 40k

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2017, 12:58:00 AM »
Any math hammer guys know about what having a toughness and wounds value for vehicles will do for their 8th ed. Survivability vs that of 7th?

Hoping to see more dredz and other fun units on the tables and a balancing out of the assault phase- which would in theory balance out the army tiers making nids, howling banshees, and ORKS more effective. Sounds like the rules releases are supporting that so far...
  • Vostroyan Astra Militarum, Grey knights

Offline Mr. Sinji

• Brother Captain
  • I have been collecting and playing 40k since 1996
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2017, 02:50:23 AM »
Any math hammer guys know about what having a toughness and wounds value for vehicles will do for their 8th ed. Survivability vs that of 7th?

Hoping to see more dredz and other fun units on the tables and a balancing out of the assault phase- which would in theory balance out the army tiers making nids, howling banshees, and ORKS more effective. Sounds like the rules releases are supporting that so far...

Just the fact that vehicles will now have saves is huge.

I am curious to see how relentless will work or even if it is still a thing.

Offline TearoftheDragon

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2017, 12:20:54 AM »
3+ save for a Morkanaut is surprisingly low, it will be interesting to see what modifiers various weapons have.

Offline Hawkeye299

• The Hawkboss
  • Global Moderator
  • Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2017, 02:21:36 AM »
3+ save for a Morkanaut is surprisingly low, it will be interesting to see what modifiers various weapons have.

Hopefully the T8 and 18Wounds will help out a bit, the idea of melta shots only having a 50/50 change to damage it at all is quite nice, assuming that it is still strength 8 of course. Either way hopefully stuff like the Mork(or possibly Gork)anaught will be much better than they are now :)

Online Draco765

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2017, 05:31:40 AM »

Speculation based on the weapon profile preview people have created the following chart for current AP to Save Modifier:

Ap5,6 Mod 0 (bolter, flamer)
Ap4 Mod -1
Ap3 Mod -2
Ap2 Mod -3 (lascannon)
Ap1 Mod -4

With the addition of the "higher than 6" save introduced in Shadow War which might be included, if they include that, you should always get some kind of save, just like every weapon has a chance of causing a wound.

Online MiniTV

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2017, 12:16:25 PM »
What do you guys think of the new updates coming out for independent heroes? I get why they chose to keep characters from joining squads, but it doesn't make any sense. Also I wonder how a hive tyrant with tyrant guard will work with this new system.
  • Tyranids: Orks: Necrons:
The Great Devourer for the win

Online DeffBossGitKrusha

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • work in progress
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2017, 01:29:08 PM »
What do you guys think of the new updates coming out for independent heroes? I get why they chose to keep characters from joining squads, but it doesn't make any sense. Also I wonder how a hive tyrant with tyrant guard will work with this new system.
I like it. I get that it doesn't make any sense but I think from the prospective of the "new" rules system it does.
Learning AoS I had to rewire my own thinking. I've played 40K for 20 years some things didn't apply in AoS.
I look at it more and more like a PC game gone analog. I think looking at the rules for what they are and working within that operating system is, well for me that's how I intend to do it. I have to abandon old rules but I don't have to flush everything I already know from stuff you learn playing 40K. Things like shoot the choppy one and chop the shooty ones.  fairly straight forward. I'm going to stop there before I get into some kind of crazy rant. I will say a lot of things Fritz has said over the years in his videos still apply even in AoS.
As far as Characters go though. We just have to relearn how to use them. That's part of the fun.