Author Topic: 8th Ed. Are you ready?  (Read 9521 times)

Online MiniTV

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: 8th Ed. Are you ready?
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2017, 06:03:03 PM »
I am kinda excited about the potential of those international campaigns that they used to have. The players cam continue to write the story. Like the Tyranid/Ork war in the Octave us System. The new crusades of the imperium against chaos and vise versa. Elder doing something for once maybe. Necrons waking up and making an uber empire. Tau spreading the greatest of goods. I'm excited what the future holds
  • Tyranids: Orks: Necrons:
The Great Devourer for the win

Offline BorntobeMild

• Initiate
  • Sup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2017, 07:36:33 PM »

But the changes to each model having their own little Fantasy-esque movement number is off putting.  This is th bit where I won't want to play against new players.  Currently, if they're on foot, they move 6, if they're not, they move 12.  Bing bang boom, done.  Changing that will mean that new players have to look up each individual unit's move, and since I've seen new players screw up consistently what BS4 means, a number that is not different across entire Factions, I have to double check that crap.  There are certain people in local gaming groups that I just do not think have the memory to not accidentally cheat or screw themselves.  I can see the frustration there already by adding another number to a statline...  It's a small group of people I'd have this issue with, but it is just another step that makes playing them a chore instead of fun, and that's not fair to them or me.
I've been playing for 6 months and I know people that have been playing for 3 years that I have to explain how some quite basic rules work.
  • Orks, Space Marines
On a WAAAAGGHHHHH since 1999.

Offline mercedes 308

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2017, 06:11:34 AM »
I'd be concerned if Eldar and T'au get put in faction Xenos.  Not sure about the rest so far.  Gw still not saying much, just corp speak ATM.
Everything is great.  Everything with a model will get rules, is not the same as everything with rules will get rules.  Conversions matter,
Fluff matters, Depth of immersion into the game matters.  Well to me anyway.

Online Eryx_UK

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • March of the Damned
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2017, 12:49:04 PM »
I'd be concerned if Eldar and T'au get put in faction Xenos.  Not sure about the rest so far.  Gw still not saying much, just corp speak ATM.
Everything is great.  Everything with a model will get rules, is not the same as everything with rules will get rules.  Conversions matter,
Fluff matters, Depth of immersion into the game matters.  Well to me anyway.

It will all come down to factions. There won't be a generic Xenos faction like Imperial and Chaos will be. I can see Tau, Ork and Necron players getting a little miffed by how much two other factions will have available to them compared to themselves. Also, it remains to be seen whether Eldar will share a single Aeldari keyword or whether Craftworld, Dark Aeldari (or Drukhari) and Ynnead will be separate.
  • Death Guard / Nurgle Daemons
My Death Guard narrative blog: http://thedeathguard.blogspot.co.uk/

Online MiniTV

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2017, 11:39:29 AM »
I wouldn't mind if the xenon had their own boOK. Fluff and specialized not formations can be added in other supplements. Besides. We have no idea how they will present the new codexes. They could be hundreds of pages thick or just a few paragraphs of each faction

Online DeffBossGitKrusha

• Brother Captain
  • Shoot da choppy ones and chop da shooty ones!
    • View Profile
    • work in progress
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2017, 05:32:25 AM »
Today I'm not very excited about Orks in 8th. I don't want my army in a book full of other armies. I think it sucks. I may change over an play chaos. Or just use the free PFD rules, print those and put them in a binder. I don't buy books for armies I don't own or wish to own now. If there's a stand alone Ork book I'd be excited about that.
I'm excited about 8th. It sounds really good to me. I just don't want to pay for anything I have no interest in. It also seems to me that cramming all the "non human" armies into a single book takes away from them all. 
Chop! Chop! Chop! Chop! Chop! Chop! Chop!
WAAAAAAAAGH! Dakka Dakka Dakka!
http://warhead01.blogspot.com/

Online Leftovers44

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2017, 12:51:49 AM »
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/23/warhammer-40000-launch-date-announced-may22gw-homepage-post-1/

Pre-orders start the 3rd of June and it drops on the 17th for 8th edition!

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2017, 03:24:02 AM »
19 Primaris to give folks a boost on that sort of army.  That's pretty friggin good of them.  I doubt I'll need another Primaris for as long as they aren't replacing basic Marine models but I'm already expecting to need moreover of those Jump Pack guys from folks where I play.  And the heroes actually look good, not like the meh poses we've been getting from a lot of monopose models.  Weapon choice is pretty modest on everyone but the Captain. 

The only model I might not use is the Blightbringer.  Not my aesthetic style even in a Nurgle host of my Red Corsairs.  That Lord though...  That thing looks amazing.  It even looks worthy to use Typhus rules on the table if need be.  The Bloat Drone looks like a toned down Blight Drone and I'm excited for the rules.  Looks like Lascannons on the thing so I'm looking forward to options.  The Blight had options for Autocannons and some dangerous puke options, making it pretty friggin beastly.  New name, new model, hopefully familiar rules though.  I may need six.

That's a lot of value packed into a box.  I'm wondering what the price is going to be.  Initial rumors were almost on the money for what was included in the box, so I'm hoping the $125 is still going to hold, but seeing how much is here...  Just the full book has always been GW's price grab of $80+.  I was expecting a mini again, not the full thing.

The quote of a quote on another forum rumor says 125 for the box, so overly simple math says $150 USD.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 03:38:13 AM by SharkoutofWata »

Online DeffBossGitKrusha

• Brother Captain
  • Shoot da choppy ones and chop da shooty ones!
    • View Profile
    • work in progress
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2017, 04:02:17 AM »
Wow. That escalated quick. 
I agree I hope the boxed set is only $125.00 usd. I have $300.00 in store credit t my FLGS saved up. One thing that hit me is I had better buy the cards and the marker dice before they sell out, maybe two sets. I'm very tempted to start chaos now. Nurgle + Iron warriors. And stick in a few Daemons.
Looks like a good start, I feel a little dirty for actually wanting to get this set. GW .....   Oh, there seems to be a pun...
Chop! Chop! Chop! Chop! Chop! Chop! Chop!
WAAAAAAAAGH! Dakka Dakka Dakka!
http://warhead01.blogspot.com/

Online MiniTV

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2017, 08:09:39 AM »
I'm actually both happy and sad with the split of Imperial and Xenos Codexes, happy that each army can more or less get their own decent sized section. Sad that I'll have to get both to field my armies :P

Offline Shaggy 40k

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2017, 01:46:12 PM »
If anyone's seen today's leaks on genestealer cults, you'll catch a glimpse of some crazy psychic powers and sneaky abilities that cult IC's get. Hypnosis "prevents an enemy unit from firing Overwatch, makes them strike last in combat (even if they charged) AND gives them -1 to hit." (GW) also IC's have nice hide abilities (4+ sacrifice) when near other units. I'm hoping that these can work well with other codex  tyranid units. Also, this ability has me thinking that hive guard, and other similar bodyguard type units (Nork Dedogg, crisis bodyguard, etc) might function with the 4+ sacrifce if in close proximity rule as well. This might counter IC's not being able to join squads, making them less fragile and their positioning more tactical
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 01:51:26 PM by Shaggy 40k »
  • Vostroyan Astra Militarum, Grey knights