Author Topic: Going back to 40k  (Read 1739 times)

Offline Grimson

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Going back to 40k
« on: April 07, 2017, 08:34:24 AM »
  I've been thinking about playing warhammer again. I stopped because the store closed down and everyone sold off their army. I found a new group at an other store,so I'm thinking about playing again. But here is the thing I stopped playing in 6th ed, and after watching a few games. I don't know if my old army can even play against some of the crazy now. I'm seeing  army's almost getting wiped out and still winning because they can get those "card objectives" easily or at the last second. But I'm just going to look at that like a learning curve, and the one thing that's got me worried is almost all the army's has some kind of forge world in it. I have bit of a bad history with forge world because every time I played against it. It was something that had the rule going for it with a competitive army for just a fun game, and that's what the gaming group looks like.

Now I have a space marine army with bits of blood angels and space wolves here and there, so a hybrid chapter so to speak. But with the new army building rules. I don't even know where to start. It seems like if I make a mixed army I miss out on some rules. But do I gain the value of those rules by having a mixed army. I almost want to make some small army's because of this, or just have more space marines?
Here's what I'm thinking.

-Space marine/Blood angels/Space wolves-
I have a bit of everything, but what do I need to add to it, or do I have to pick a chapter and stick with it?

-IG-
I've played them before and I like an all vet army with tanks and flyers

-Sisters of battle-
Love to start but to much $$$

-Imperial Knight-
Seems to be a easy way back in

-Dark eldar/Eldar-
No idea where to start, seems like it will be a fun army/

Online Eryx_UK

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • March of the Damned
Re: Going back to 40k
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 09:32:08 AM »
Welcome back to the game. I'll offer you my suggestions and input.

I've been thinking about playing warhammer again. I stopped because the store closed down and everyone sold off their army. I found a new group at an other store,so I'm thinking about playing again. But here is the thing I stopped playing in 6th ed, and after watching a few games. I don't know if my old army can even play against some of the crazy now. I'm seeing  army's almost getting wiped out and still winning because they can get those "card objectives" easily or at the last second. But I'm just going to look at that like a learning curve, and the one thing that's got me worried is almost all the army's has some kind of forge world in it. I have bit of a bad history with forge world because every time I played against it. It was something that had the rule going for it with a competitive army for just a fun game, and that's what the gaming group looks like.

Don't worry about the edition. I find that 7th is the best the game has ever been but soon we'll be getting 8th edition and it will change everything. Tactical objectives is a great format and one which I prefer although many players seem to find the random element to be unfair for competitive style games. I find such games become more tactical and less about wiping out the enemy. Hopefully they'll remain under 8th but we might see new missions types instead.

As for Forge World, once upon a time FW models were massively overpowered but these days they seem balanced along with everything else. Saying that I haven't played against Titans so I can't say how well or not they balance out.

-Space marine/Blood angels/Space wolves-
I have a bit of everything, but what do I need to add to it, or do I have to pick a chapter and stick with it?

Each of those armies has their own strengths and weaknesses. 7th has an Unbound army building system that lets you play anything you want but you lose out being able to contest objectives. Some players dislike it but if you want a mixed force or want a space marine army that has bits of everything then it's an option to consider.

-IG-
I've played them before and I like an all vet army with tanks and flyers 

They are called Astra Militarum now. Sounds like you have a good start for them.

-Sisters of battle-
Love to start but to much $$$

Hold your wallet tight. Things are pointing to plastic sisters being on the horizon.

-Imperial Knight-
Seems to be a easy way back in

They work better as an ally to an Imperial army rather than being played as an army on their own.

-Dark eldar/Eldar-
No idea where to start, seems like it will be a fun army/

I'd recommend picking up Gathering Storm book 2 and going for a Reborn of Ynnead army. I'm expecting the whole Eldar army to go that way soon anyway.
  • Death Guard / Nurgle Daemons
My Death Guard narrative blog: http://thedeathguard.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Baneblade9

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 04:34:37 PM »
The Imperial Agents book is something to check out. It has a good mix of allies to compliment any Imperial army. I also would suggest checking out YouTube for some ideas. Fritz has some good videos you could check out.

Online Sensenbob

• Battle Brother
  • WHERE IS THE DEAFF COMPANYYY!?!?! :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 01:14:13 AM »
It all depends on what you want to do.

Seeing as you already have different varietys of Space Marines we could see if we can build something worthwhile from your existing collection, so you can get a grip back into the game and then decide what to do when you know how it all works again!
The new army building rules actually allow you to use different factions quite well using Formations. if you can stick what you have into different formations you even get Bonuses for free for each formation.

So, what do you already have? We might be able to give better hints if we know!
Having more different Armies does make everything more difficult for yourself since you have to remember more Rules, but if you're up to the challenge, it's no problem!
=Blood Angels=

Offline Grimson

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 10:52:30 PM »
First I like to thank all who have posted on this topic. Second what the hell is going in 40k! Right after looking at some of the codex's for some of the armies and the new books. It's like here have a mixed army and have a bonus. That and the Primarchs are coming back, so picking up Guilliman is looking good right now. Going back to 40k, Guilliman is back in action, why not. With the gathering storm books a SM/IG/Eldar/Dark Eldar army is looking possible. But I am wondering what is the cheezy stuff is everyone dealing with. When I stopped playing, flyers were the biggest pain to deal with. Especially a 6 flyer Necron list where you shoot them down and the troops just go back in reserves. I'm not going to lie I did like my stormraven coming in like a A-10 saving my troops while pushing the others back. But can a big mixed army even be good in a fight or is just wishful thinking? As for now I'm just going to use my space marines to relearn the game but I still like to know about how good a mixed army will be.

Online Eryx_UK

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • March of the Damned
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 11:05:19 AM »
First I like to thank all who have posted on this topic. Second what the hell is going in 40k! Right after looking at some of the codex's for some of the armies and the new books. It's like here have a mixed army and have a bonus. That and the Primarchs are coming back, so picking up Guilliman is looking good right now. Going back to 40k, Guilliman is back in action, why not. With the gathering storm books a SM/IG/Eldar/Dark Eldar army is looking possible. But I am wondering what is the cheezy stuff is everyone dealing with. When I stopped playing, flyers were the biggest pain to deal with. Especially a 6 flyer Necron list where you shoot them down and the troops just go back in reserves. I'm not going to lie I did like my stormraven coming in like a A-10 saving my troops while pushing the others back. But can a big mixed army even be good in a fight or is just wishful thinking? As for now I'm just going to use my space marines to relearn the game but I still like to know about how good a mixed army will be.

I wouldn't call it cheezey but what I struggle to handle these days isn't the armies but rather those armies with super psychic potential (Eldar and Thousand Sons mainly).
  • Death Guard / Nurgle Daemons
My Death Guard narrative blog: http://thedeathguard.blogspot.co.uk/