Author Topic: Which assault themed army is most consistent?  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Izzycat218

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Which assault themed army is most consistent?
« on: April 21, 2017, 07:40:13 PM »
Hi guys,
I've been playing mainly tau the last two years and it been okay but lately I've been getting the itch to play the other end of the spectrum form castle shooting army. I own about 3k of black Templars but I've struggled to consistent with them on the table and with the lack of support for them I've reached the point where maybe it's time for a new assault army.

I'm interested to hear everyone's opinion. I'm most likely going to avoid orks due to the fact my brother has them and I'm not a fan of mirror matches. This is the reason I'm stepping away from tau as well 6 new players this year locally and they all started tau.

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Which assault themed army is most consistent?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 04:59:59 AM »
As a Tyranid, Blood Angel and Genestealer Cult player I have to say, none of my armies.  I mean, Genestealers have a big bonus, being able to charge from their Shadows rules, but it's a random roll, the very definition of inconsistent.  Granted, I haven't tried that army with my new dice that aren't ridiculously low rollers, but I had bad luck having my whole army Outflank for four turns of a game before I decided to just walk to where I needed to be.  When it works it friggin WORKS.  Having an 8pt model put out three Rending attacks at common Initiative NOT including the charge is a whole mess of death.  But, Allied Flyrants tend to be the workhorses of that list, taking care of the majority of the enemy that isn't as easy to Assault, which can be a let down depending on what you wanted out of the army.

The best and most consistent charges are always done by 12" movers with a Scout move for a 2nd Turn Charge.  Flesh Hounds in the KDK Gorepack, Dark Angel Ravenwing Knights, that sort of thing.  There's very little that has the speed and durability to cross the table outside of a transport and almost no transports with Assault Vehicle are quality enough to make it there either.  Dark Angels have both in droves, but they're not exactly what I'd call an Assault army, despite how good at it Ravenwing are.  To go for plain consistency in an actual Assault oriented shell, Khorne Daemonkin are prolly the best choice.  There's just a good feeling about Bloodthirsters in KDK that I don't get when I run Flyrants with GSC.

Offline Kvekan

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 05:50:39 AM »
I'd really wait until 8th edition to make any kind of decision like this. For all we know we're in for a major shake up.

Currently I'd agree that no assault army works very consistently. I play blood angels and have moved from an all out assault approach to take all comers due to the limitations in 7th.
"For those we cherish, we die in glory" ...And we die a lot.

Online Sensenbob

• Battle Brother
  • WHERE IS THE DEAFF COMPANYYY!?!?! :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 02:04:38 AM »
My vote would also be on the Khorne Daemonkin, they are all out assault and have very fast options and cheap enough models to field enough of them to make it into the enemy lines. Furthermore they can even summon reinforcements to avoid being tabled and apply much more pressure where it's needed! Mostly immune to Gravguns as well :D

Other than that, Space Wolves might be quite consinstent since they can give Stormshields to everyone and their mom and have the most powerful assault units over all.

Assaulty Necrons do come to mind for their sheer durability but ihave little experience with those. I imagine they are too slow on the move.
=Blood Angels=

Offline Rosbjorn

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 09:26:44 AM »
I may be slightly biased, but I would say Space Wolves are the strongest army in the assault phase. That being said, losing any of your models hurts way more than losing some daemons. I find that when I run my 100% assault based armies it's an all or nothing game - I either get shot off the table before I can effectively reach any targets or things go my way and my opponent doesn't know what hit them.

Online Eryx_UK

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • March of the Damned
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 12:49:34 PM »
I find it's not always the army but the player. Units hit hard because the opponent knows what to do with it, how to equip it and where to hit you so it does the most damage. In assault I have the hardest time against Space Wolves and Tyranids jointly, with Blood Angels and Orks probably second and third.
  • Death Guard / Nurgle Daemons
My Death Guard narrative blog: http://thedeathguard.blogspot.co.uk/