Author Topic: 40K 8th Edition Holding Pattern  (Read 1690 times)

Offline Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
40K 8th Edition Holding Pattern
« on: May 09, 2017, 12:49:49 PM »
So 8th is around the corner, literally like what, a month away?

Personally I'm in kind of a holding pattern with 40K right now.

Finishing up the last of my 100 'zerker models, not buying any new kits until we see what happens for the 8th release, plan to pick up the new starter set or at least pre-order it.

Working on my 40K terrain.

Playing games of Shadow War.

Regular 40K games have kind of been on hold. 7th was fun, but I think we are all ready for 8th.

What are you working on or playing 40K right now till the new edition drops?
Though my men may sleep, and my ships rest at anchor, my foes know full well that big guns never tire...

Look on my works ye mighty, and despair...

Online MiniTV

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: 40K 8th Edition Holding Pattern
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 03:21:26 PM »
In the same situation as you currently. Finishing up converting and painting my nids until the ice breaks. Honestly surprised they are still selling codexes for full price. Seems like a waste to buy them now since all the rage quiters will send them to half price books
The Great Devourer for the win

Online Eryx_UK

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • March of the Damned
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 05:26:11 PM »
My club isn't holding out. We're a quarter of a way through a lengthy league which will overrun the new release. We're sticking to 7th for that and letting 8th games run in the background for a while. Still painting models as I go but I just wish they would hurry up and release the free rules download so we can get a better look at the rules rather than dribs and drabs.
My Death Guard narrative blog: http://thedeathguard.blogspot.co.uk/

DeffBossGitKrusha

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 05:32:16 PM »
I'm finishing up my AoS Bonesplitterz. last 10 mini's and it'll be 100% painted. Unless I  buy something else for it. I still want a few more heroes for it maybe just a few mode savages. Not much.
I'm starting to think about painting the Harlequins I bought last year. maybe 40+ models maybe a little less I haven't looked at them in months.
I still think about selling my Space Wolves. I've not felt like playing more than one game of 40/30K so far this year... but I'm excited about 8th edition.

Offline Ironclad13

• Battle Brother
  • Iron Within, Kill Main Burn! Ahem... Iron Without.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 02:01:02 AM »
I'm taking the opportunity to knock the dust off older units that have had epic models but not so epic rules, get them painted up and tabletop ready.  For example, my Chaos Chosen have seen daylight for the first time in a long time and I'm planning to experiment with those units when the new rules drop.
Some are born great, others achieve greatness.  Some...

Some are still throwing spears at the buses.

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 03:40:07 AM »
I've gotten the extra push I needed to actively work on my Ultramarines.  To be honest, Battle Company wasn't my sort of army because while the concept was fluffy, in practice it was nearly as few models as possible instead of representing ten full squads led by a practical Captain.  Now though, Gulliman's changes revealed have him as my next model to buy and throwing out Formations means my precious Tyrannic War Veterans are likely getting the axe and invalidating the old Saint Tylus Formation.  Thinking about the probably unconfirmed rumors of the new starter set, I'm going to have a strong representation of the 1st and 3rd Companies led by the Primarch himself.  Looking at the Battalion Detachment means that I can already plan for that to be my starting point and filling that out properly now, then downgrading as points are revealed.  Three HQs in a Battalion means Captain Fabian, Chaplain Cassius and either a Librarian or Gulliman, depending on Guilliman's role.  Sure the small things like weapon choice are in the air, but considering I'm getting the starter box, have a nice selection of Heavies as is, I'm not worried about weapon choice like maybe I should be.

I think the holding pattern is broken for some armies.  I think we have a decent enough concept of things to get as we move ahead, like Tyranid Warriors are almost certainly going to see play now that things aren't doubled out.  Ork mech units are going to be tough beasts to bring down so Killa Kans might be worth collecting or dusting off.  The new promises in Imperial Guard give us some building blocks to push ahead towards, and though the CSM one was less revealing, we have reason to put paint to model on some units that we might have skipped over for a while now.

Offline leE7_G4M3r

• Battle Brother
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 02:20:03 PM »
I'm waiting for a while before I buy any more models, not because of the new edition, but because about half of my Orks remain unpainted after about a year of playing and collecting. I'm also waiting to scrape up as much money as possible for new models to increase the squad sizes of my army.

Honestly, I'm not holding out for the release because I don't really care if the rules change, or if certain models become "useless". I play mostly for the narrative and fun, not to completely obliterate my opponent.
WAAAGH!

Offline Charley359

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 05:27:28 PM »
o but I just wish they would hurry up and release the free rules download so we can get a better look at the rules rather than dribs and drabs.

Totally agree with this.  I would love to see more then the occasional tidbit there putting out there and have them release the rules or the factions rules sooner then later. 

Also after seeing the preview for the Primaris Space Marines today.  I will be looking to get a 10 man squad of them since it said I can play them with my Dark Angels.  I'm hoping they will be able to take weapons like a Dark Angels Veteran or Sternguard type unit so they can run multiple combi weapons at once.  Then if they ever release my Primarch "Lion El'Jonson" then I would consider them his personnel body guard. 

But unless my venue comes back to life with 8th Edition.  Right now its completely dead but there is lots of promises of at least 10 people coming back when 8th hits.  The Primaris Marines may be my only purchases for a long time unless I finally get my Lion.