Author Topic: A Missed Opportunity  (Read 1684 times)

Offline sindri_tepek

• Initiate
    • View Profile
A Missed Opportunity
« on: May 16, 2017, 07:31:15 AM »
It seems to me that GW has once again failed to follow their own fluff in a desire to play the short game. Fabius Bile has been experimenting with enhancing marines for the last 10 millenia, including extracting primarch samples, yet somehow was unable to crack the code while it seems Guilleman and Cawl had enacted a shark jumping plan around the same time.

This would have been a great opportunity for GW to introduce the new models as super Chaos shock troopers during the Fall of Cadia, forcing the Imperium to bio-engineer their own to compensate.

Now both Chaos and Imperials would have their own versions, and players would probably gobble up both sets, if not double-dip, and would allow a bit more testing in the upcoming set to see how well they operate, while also holding true to the fluff and the story progression.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 08:15:31 AM by sindri_tepek »

Online Sensenbob

• Battle Brother
  • WHERE IS THE DEAFF COMPANYYY!?!?! :D
    • View Profile
Re: A Missed Opportunity
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 08:22:15 AM »
Well, why does anyone get the new Spacemarine-Spacemarines in the first place?
New, explicitly not discovered but engineered Technology doesn't make any sense fluffwise. Slightly altered stuff - okay but this?
On the other Hand ... this Geneseed-messing-around seems to amount to Heresy, so hopefully Guilliman will turn traitor himself, Cawl is in fact FabiusBile and then - there you go, Chaos-Spacemarine-Spacemarines.

The "Truescale-Marine" Models themselves however do look fantastic i'd be so much more happy with them if they were just the new look of spacemarines instead of a new super thingy.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 08:24:20 AM by Sensenbob »
=Blood Angels=

Offline dutch508

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 09:43:11 AM »
ref: Chaos Super SMs.

No one can say we won't see this in the future, especially if the PRIMARIS crap does sell well. It would have made sense fluff wise to see these SCSMs in the Fall of Cadia of course... but GW doesn't always follow the logical patterns to thought and good business practices.

Still holding my breath to see if the new rules completely **** my old armies.
 :-\

Offline Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 12:14:18 PM »
I do love me some 40K, and I usually turn a blind eye to GW's usual antics- they are out to make money off us players. I'm down with that and capitalism...

...but this does seem like a potential screw over to the fan base. Only time will tell for real.

They would LOVE for all marine players to buy a new army, but if they voided the entire old range of armies at the launch of 8th I think that would be the final thing that pisses players off.

BUT if all new marine and chaos releases are true sized then over time if you play marines or chaos you are going to get tired of having miss matched marines and buying new stuff.

GW is NOT introducing new marine models, they are changing the miniature scale of the game.

Not sure how I feel about this as a part time marine player and full time chaos player.

Xenos seem safe...

...for now.

Online MiniTV

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 12:27:41 PM »
They stated that all models in their range at the moment are valid. How effective they will be is another question entirely. Also stated how old marines can and will still be used and I'm sure they will stay that way. However, I have a feeling  that they will stop producing the old guys after the new edition. I think it's a solid scheme if they don't end up shooting themselves in the foot. I really like the new marines. I'm sure we'll be seeing a "reboot" of the astartes.
  • Tyranids: Orks: Necrons:
The Great Devourer for the win

Online DeffBossGitKrusha

• Brother Captain
  • Shoot da choppy ones and chop da shooty ones!
    • View Profile
    • work in progress
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 01:09:33 PM »
I'm fairly 50/50 on the Ne Marines. If I played marines I'd hold out for the New Assault marine type. I'd add that to my existing army and then just throw it at the enemy.
As an Ork player I'd gladly take a new Ork unit.
If you think about it the New Maines are what the old marines are now, kinda. Sure they have 2 wounds and 2 attacks base but their bolter is basically the bolter we have now with a little extra range.
I still think about New Hammer like this, what do you want out of it? Should I buy a New army for a new game. It looks like a new game so a new army would be one made on or after it's release, Made for that edition/game.
I did that for AoS and have had nothing but fun.

As far as the NewMarine fluf. 40K is full of revisionist history as far as I'm concerned.
Chop! Chop! Chop! Chop! Chop! Chop! Chop!
WAAAAAAAAGH! Dakka Dakka Dakka!
http://warhead01.blogspot.com/

Offline dutch508

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 01:17:33 PM »

GW is NOT introducing new marine models, they are changing the miniature scale of the game.

Xenos seem safe...

...for now.

I would agree with you except I used to be an Undead player in WFB back in the early 90s. In one fell swoop 90% of my models became unuseable as the 'new' and 'better Vampire Counts armies appeared and the old undead turned into quasi-Egyptian Armies of Mummies..

... which now are unplayable in the new AoS...
 >:(

Online Eryx_UK

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • March of the Damned
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 03:02:03 PM »
I really don't understand the hate for these new models. GW hasn't screwed us players over at all and neither have they messed with the fluff.

Just because they introduce new larger scale marines does not invalidate your older marines. These are just a new unit for you to include. I don't see them updating other models to the same scale. Likewise I expect every army to get cool new units as well as they get updated codexes.

As for Fabius Bile he was experimenting with enhancing marines but he didn't have the backing and resources of Mars to do it. Caul has all that and more to create these new additions to the Imperium's finest.
  • Death Guard / Nurgle Daemons
My Death Guard narrative blog: http://thedeathguard.blogspot.co.uk/

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 03:17:19 PM »
They're not invalidating anything, but look at the difference between the dwarf Marines of RT and the old 25mm Terminators.  Yes, you can still and always use them, but, they look kinda silly.  And they look really silly when you can't make a ten man unit of them so have four dwarves, two 25mm and four 32mm Marines.  Now we have a forth version of the same model that looks still different.  Maybe they'll stay a whole seperate unit, but maybe they won't.  We really don't know.

I really hope these become the basic bog standard Marine, because they look like a Space Marine is described as in fluff, but it makes me not want to pick up the Vanguard Veterans that I need for my Ultramarines.  Or makes me want to plan ahead and build them out as NuMarines and just hope the game catches up to them and makes them normal.