Author Topic: Thoughts on Assassins in 8th  (Read 2003 times)

Offline Rezial

• Brother Captain
  • Dominus Mutationis
    • View Profile
Thoughts on Assassins in 8th
« on: August 12, 2017, 03:58:48 PM »
Hey all.  I have been pondering how Assassins are doing now in 8th Edition and was wondering what others thought.  I haven't used mine yet but thought they looked like a great supplement option to many different forces.  Specifically the Vindicare and Culexus seem to have stand-out uses but what about the others as well? 
Repent, for tomorrow you die.
http://rezial.blogspot.com/

Online Eryx_UK

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • March of the Damned
Re: Thoughts on Assassins in 8th
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 06:14:35 PM »
Despite seeing people talking about taking vindicare assassins to take down the characters, I have yet to see anyone bothering to take any type of Imperial assassin. Too many other cool things to choose from.
My Death Guard narrative blog: http://thedeathguard.blogspot.co.uk/

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 06:52:48 PM »
I've seen it and it was pretty worthless.  The Vindicare can't reliably kill a character in a turn and while some players walk their Captains and such up the field, that's not standard practice.  The aura buff allows the Captain to hide out of Line of Sight in a static position and buff up the likes of a Devestator squad or whatever else doesn't need to move.  They babysit, and the Vindicare just plinks away at a unit just like any other gun in the army.

The Callidus and Culuxes though, they get stuff done.  Yes they die, but they tie up an opponent for a minute and deal good damage before going down.  I've heard good things about the Eversor for the same reason but haven't seen it myself.  There's less an opponent can really do against these than shift deploymen a bit, so in my opinion they are far more valuable.  That said, I wouldn't ever bring one in any of my Imperium armies for the reason stated above.  There's too many cool things I can bring before I get to dusting off my assassins.

Offline Rezial

• Brother Captain
  • Dominus Mutationis
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 02:47:23 PM »
So since I made this post I did play against a Vindicare using my Tyranids.  I had a pretty watered down force but I was using a Swarmlord with Tyrant Guard.  Vindicare took the obvious target but ultimately wasn't too successful in hurting my Warlord.  The rest of the list was a pretty obnoxious IG build that included a Shadowsword and Wyverns.  They really made his Assassin kind of pointless.  However I did see the potential for it to put in work.

I own the Assassinorum game and I was planning to sprinkle in 1 or more Assassins into my smaller Imperial armies like Blood Angels or maybe another small marine list.  This in place of Sniper Scouts or to disrupt like you point out in the case of the Culexus and Callidus.  I'm still trying to sort of work out a strong place for an Eversor.  They(Assassins) probably slot into Ministorum armies the best.

Offline NathanJessup

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 09:49:32 AM »
The vindicare is not consistent with performance.... against some lists is very good, if there are not high value infantry units it becomes almost worthless....

I'll start testing an eversor in my deathwatch list. It seems better by the numbers even if it's gonna last 1-2 turns and it's very cheap

Offline NoMoshing

• Initiate
  • Painting < Gaming
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 10:57:36 AM »
My main army is T'au, and I'm looking forward to taking a Culexus as an auxilliary. Some ability (oh please just please any ability) to disrupt enemy Psykers is worth it to me, plus they can default to taking out other characters with a little work. At least, that's the theory. Worked against Blood Angels last week at least.
Painted/Aseembled:
T'au Empire: 256/3152
Adeptus Mechanicus: 0/303
Seraphon: 0/612

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 05:23:07 PM »
A Battleforged Army has to share one keyword across every Detachment.  Tau are not Imperium, so your list can't be Battleforged then.

Correction: A Matched Play army must all share one Keyword.  It appears that a Narrative and Open Play Battleforged army does not have the same requirement.  Pg214 for reference.  But since the vast majority of the game is Matched Play, it's still worth noting.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 05:30:18 PM by SharkoutofWata »

Offline NoMoshing

• Initiate
  • Painting < Gaming
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 08:14:12 AM »
A Battleforged Army has to share one keyword across every Detachment.  Tau are not Imperium, so your list can't be Battleforged then.

Correction: A Matched Play army must all share one Keyword.  It appears that a Narrative and Open Play Battleforged army does not have the same requirement.  Pg214 for reference.  But since the vast majority of the game is Matched Play, it's still worth noting.

So... Auxiliary Support Detachments just allow fielding one additional choice of *whatever* slot at a -1 CP penalty. Why did I think they let you field units that don't match your keywords? Oh well, I should be fine for pick up games.

On another note: #$@$%!$#@&%$%@ Imperium keyword can die in a fire.
Painted/Aseembled:
T'au Empire: 256/3152
Adeptus Mechanicus: 0/303
Seraphon: 0/612

Offline Rezial

• Brother Captain
  • Dominus Mutationis
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 04:31:17 PM »
Really appreciate the interest in this topic.

So I still haven't gotten any Assassins on a table, lol.  That being said I have been able to theorize and observe a little more.  Seems like the Vindicare is currently the least efficient choice, maybe followed by the Culexus.  Eversor and Callidus have the ability to slot into all-comer lists a lot better.