Author Topic: Ad mech took a major hit, how are you dealing with it?  (Read 1527 times)

Offline SittingInACorner

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Ad mech took a major hit, how are you dealing with it?
« on: June 22, 2017, 06:06:08 PM »
I like 8th but as someone with a large ad mech army its hard to not feel as if ad mech has had both its unique rules and power level completely gutted. That being said I'm not here to list complaints, instead, I wanted to talk about how to make or beloved army work! I'll be posting in this thread when I get games in and an army together again. Post blow if you have any information/ how do you play admech in 8th?

Online Eryx_UK

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • March of the Damned
Re: Ad mech took a major hit, how are you dealing with it?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 06:41:58 PM »
The thing to remember, and this applies to every army, that we currently have the basics in the Index books. Wait until proper codex books come out and I'm certain we'll start to see those flavour rules coming back to everyone.
My Death Guard narrative blog: http://thedeathguard.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline SittingInACorner

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 11:30:12 AM »
Alright I'm starting to get games in, the biggest change is that dunecrawlers are now absolutely essential. Neutron lasers are really one of the only viable anti-tank options if your running skitarii. The arc rifles can help you finish off a wounded vehicle but are otherwise just a shadow of their former selves. However, I would take as many of them as you can if you have the extra points as they will give you a little extra firepower against infantry. The heavy battle servitors are still worth taking but I'm really not sold on the breachers for the points cost. Grav Cannons are still the way to go.

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 03:37:14 AM »
So I held off posting until I played against them properly, because while I was given a competitive rundown, my unfamiliarity with the army meant I was likely to get some units wrong.  Now that I can properly put names to faces, I'm more confident saying what I've seen.  AdMech are friggin ridiculously good.  There's no ifs ands or buts about it and the only reason to complain about anything is that you have to pay for your guns now.  Certain units took hits, there is no denying that, but the army overall is ridiculous.  It is what Tau wish they could be.

The Kastellan Robots alone fire 18 S6 -2 shots PER MODEL, all of which can be healed by a little dude hanging around them.  Each Plasma Heavy Servitors is putting out D6 shots in Spam numbers that losing some to overheating is a tiny price to pay.  Long range Lascannons on the shooty Dragoons and a Knight Crusader means you have all the bases covered in a shooting army.  Healing is practically guaranteed between Cawl and the little HQ guy I don't remember the name of, though I was pleased to find out that they can't heal the Knight so I could kill it even while rolling poorly.  You're clear to turtle up hard and remove a ridiculous amount of the enemy on Turn 1.  I'd have been tabled smoothly if I hadn't gotten first turn using my Ultramarines.  And my opponent, who is admittedly one of the top AdMech players in the ITC circuit, had just finished tabling Eldar Wraiths.

I don't know how much fluff is in an AdMech army simply because I never cared about the Faction, but unless you really love the robotic ninjas, I can't imagine there being a problem with how much damage this army can dish out.  Those robots though, they put the fear of the Omnissiah in me and you can be sure I focused them down before anything else.  They might look derpy, but that's a scary friggin unit right there and will keep hordes at bay.

Offline snarkninja

• Initiate
  • Without the past we cannot go into the future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 03:18:32 AM »
Honestly the two units that do well in the army currently are Dunecrawlers and Kastellan robots. The current problem is being forced to play an artillery line army. I enjoyed the army for the breacher kataphrons and skitarii troops and their dragoons. In all honesty the plasma destroyers are ok though without Cawl they are lackluster.  The army is completely reliant on dunecrawlers and kastellan robots for its heavy lifting. Also Knights are not a part of the army so a fair comparison would only include the army itself. I am not sold on ballistari with lascannons because a neutron laser dunecrawler does it better on a much more resilient platform. The armies weakness is its lack of mobility and vulnerability to hordes currently.