Author Topic: Using Aeldari in 8th Edition  (Read 1456 times)

Offline Chmmr_X

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Using Aeldari in 8th Edition
« on: December 14, 2017, 01:57:04 AM »
Hey Guys.

Just an open thread as I am having some difficulty in utilising the new Eldar. Namely in the following:
1) creating a balanced list that can handle extremes (eg. Tank companies and hordes)
- I have always worked my best to create armies that can handle both hordes and mechanised. in the 2 games I played as Alaitoc with 4 - 5 Fire Prisms and a full squad of Dark Reapers, I seem to have my Prisms totally massacred by the Russes to the point I don't have anymore reliable anti-tank weapons.
2) Having enough CP while having  enough punch too
- I know it's fairly easy to create 10CP lists but the concern is that they don't pack enough of a punch. What would be a good way to balance things out?

Anyway... random rant... i love the fact that Rangers are now much cheaper... but they still hardly do much damage, if any at all I feel. Str 4 with no AP and a 6 to mortal wound is too little to rely on.

Offline Odras

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: Using Aeldari in 8th Edition
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 11:02:45 PM »
Hey Guys.

1) creating a balanced list that can handle extremes (eg. Tank companies and hordes)
- I have always worked my best to create armies that can handle both hordes and mechanised. in the 2 games I played as Alaitoc with 4 - 5 Fire Prisms and a full squad of Dark Reapers, I seem to have my Prisms totally massacred by the Russes to the point I don't have anymore reliable anti-tank weapons.

2) Having enough CP while having  enough punch too
- I know it's fairly easy to create 10CP lists but the concern is that they don't pack enough of a punch. What would be a good way to balance things out?

To address point one:
This is more difficult just because of 8th edition, anything with enough strength and AP to get deal with russes is going to struggle to have the volume of firepower to deal with hordes. Things like fire prisms and dark reapers can deal with hordes, using their alternate fire modes but they do not do so points efficiently as they par for the flexibility. From my experience Eldar being a more elite army struggles to deal with hordes and still maintain any ability to handle tanks. My solution this far has been to accept that a horde army is going to be an uphill battle and use things such as fire prisms, dark reapers and wraithguard with D-Scythes to deal with them. In my local meta this works as there are some hordes, but not too many of them.

The second part of point one, if you are losing 4- 5 prisms in turn 1 to russes as Alaitoc, you either need to deploy more defensively or include more LOS blocking terrain on your tables. My deployment strategy for prisms is generally leave 1 wide open while deploying all the others out of LOS if possible. This allows me to use Lightning Fast Reflexes on this one for -2 to hit, and then link fire to allow the others ones to shoot, without moving. This is assuming there is a good target for linked fire, if not I generally move the prisms out to shoot and rely on the crystal targeting matrix.

To address points 2:
I agree that this is a problem Eldar players face. In my opinion our troops in this edition are all sub-par but are the increased command points worth taking the sub-par troops. My previous answer when I was playing Ynnari was no, but after the nerf to the Ynnari I am now running an Alaitoc army and I take 15 dire avengers to get a battalion and a total of 8 command points which I have found very valuable to have.

A very brief general review of my thoughts on our troops:
  • For me guardians, both defenders and storm have pretty much nothing going for them, they have no offensive ability due to short range, have no survive-ability and no utility and are not cheap enough to be able to treat them like pox walkers or guardsman as spammable and expendable.
  • Rangers have no offensive ability, but they do have utility due to their infiltrate ability and greater survive-ability than any of our other troops due to a 3+ in cover and -1 to hit.
  • Dire avengers have both more offensive capability than both the rangers and guardians, and are between the guardians and rangers in survive-ability but have no utility.
What also needs to be considered is that the rangers and dire avengers are both significantly more expensive than the guardians but do come in smaller squad sizes. I am trialling dire avengers at the moment, as while I believe that the rangers are probably the superior choice in a vacuum, the dire avengers help me with some additional anti infantry fire to help solve the problems from point 1.

I am attempting to work out a method to do some mathhammer on whether or not the troops are worth taking to get some more command points. It is hard to quantify the value of a command point though as well as what metrics I should use to determine the loss in value of taking troops over other things.

Offline mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 02:37:13 PM »
I think i would try 3 prisms and 2 fire dragons plus some large squads of jet bikes. 

You must get first turn or start off the table.

Use web way portal to drop fire dragons to attack 2 russes.

If you don't get first turn start your prisms off table in reserve and drive them onto your edge in your turn. Then open fire. Same with dark reapers. You want to drop in on a russ army.

Terrain... insist in los blocking terrain. If they can shoot across the table...the table is set up wrong.  We are too used to open tables. Front line gaming said in 8th ed tables terrain need to be closed down.

I'd also consider more fire dragons in 2 wave serpents driving them up the table... serpents will be resilient.

Next... 3 large jet bike squads... move forward and charge any closer russes.  You arnt trying to kill them just make them fall back and not be able to shoot.

Don't be offended anybody by the next statement...
I only say 3 fire prisms because any eldar player who owns more then that had bought the gw hype.  Same with russ player.  It's a unfair silly list...12ish russes and in this meta vehicles are hard to kill.

Best defence vs russes army is... no be there. 

Drop in... drive on... and lock them into combat till they cant shoot.

If you can... not allow them clear shots at your army in any way. easy to say but lock them up... focus fire them down.

...and... above all that... play the mission...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 05:55:28 PM by mcphro »

Offline mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 06:02:34 AM »
If you really want to be a prick... and... if we are talking any units are allowed... then 2 detachments.

1. eldar spearhead detachment.  Warlock and 6 fire prisms for the anti everything.

2. Detachment 2. Dark eldar spearhead.  Arckon and 5 to 6 ravagers with dark lancers.  Each ravager has 3 dark lances.

This gives you 15 to 18 dark lance shots with a 5+ invun save. And 12 fire prism shots perhaps twin linked with a 6+ invun save.

This fights fire with fire. 11 vehicles with invun saves and their choice is to engage the fire prisms hoping to take out your double shot guns,  or get hit with upto 15 -18 dark lances which are essentially bright lances. 

If they try to take out your ravagers you have a better 5 ++ save and you can use your command points to twin link your fire prisms and have more of a chance to take out tanks each round.

Either way... if you go second start half your force off table and hide the rest.  Come on and shoot ...

My 2 cents