Author Topic: Space Marine Terminators Now Meh?  (Read 2173 times)

Online Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
Space Marine Terminators Now Meh?
« on: January 17, 2018, 09:36:09 AM »
Fellow battle brothers, how are you playing terminators these days?

I used to be able to rely on that 2+ save against most units, and did my best to avoid any units that would force me to take an invul. save in previous editions.

Now in 8th with the AP, and the fact that most armies can throw up AP -1, my termies are effectively working as regular power armored dudes, which is still OK, but not for the points and unit size. Mass AP -1 seems to be everywhere, or is it my local meta spamming out Necrons, Chaos, and Space Marines.

I also feel for generic terminators shooty is working better since they are just good enough in the assault to compete with dedicated assault terminators, and being able to shoot is s huge boon.

Are centurions the new terminator of 8th?

Emperor Protects. 
Though my men may sleep, and my ships rest at anchor, my foes know full well that big guns never tire...

Look on my works ye mighty, and despair...

Offline Eryx_UK

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • March of the Damned
Re: Space Marine Terminators Now Meh?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 01:25:03 PM »
Terminators are pretty much pants now. Mainly because armour save modifiers have severely hurt them plus the -1 to hit in melee with powerfists. They need a points reduction to make them worth fielding again.
My Death Guard narrative blog: http://thedeathguard.blogspot.co.uk/

Online Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 04:15:56 PM »
I can deal with the power fists, since they are still good in close combat and I'm always trying my best to not put my termies up against dedicated assault units or mobs that will over power me, but losing the 2+ save taking it to a 3+ or even a 4+ is hard.

On the Grey Knight side I'm struggling even a bit more with them- armor save vs. cost. It's really messing with my list.
Though my men may sleep, and my ships rest at anchor, my foes know full well that big guns never tire...

Online ANevskyUSA

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 02:37:28 PM »
I remember when terminators had a 3+ save on 2d6 (w/ no invul)..  Inasmuch as the save modifiers in 8th are less extreme than in 2nd, I could be happy with a 4+ save on 2d6 (w no invul.). This gives a 73% chance to save against stuff like plasma, grav & lascannons, a 58% chance to save against melta, and a 92% chane to save against small arms.

Online Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 06:28:36 PM »
Less cost or more models, more models I feel like would not work as one would have to offset it with cheaper units- scouts? Regular space marines are still a bit pricey.