Author Topic: Halloween Themed Terrain Ideas?  (Read 2056 times)

Offline Amphibious803

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Halloween Themed Terrain Ideas?
« on: October 04, 2016, 11:25:58 PM »
At my local game store they purchased a bunch of the official Games Workshop terrain a couple years back, and most of it is still unpainted. They recently announced a painting contest at the store where we pick out an unpainted piece of terrain, take it home, and paint it. Sounds like fun and a good way to help get a lot of the store’s terrain painted.

However for the contest they want it to be Halloween themed. I want it to turn out well, worried about going too far with a Halloween theme and the finished piece looking really silly or just out of place. Been looking for inspiration at some Halloween themed castles and such. Something Halloween themed, but would look good year round on the table top? Still brainstorming ideas.

Offline SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Halloween Themed Terrain Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 04:50:14 AM »
Both local stores in my area have some sort of mausoleum piece with modular gates.  That sort of thing fits so beautifully on a table as the centerpiece with the statue of the Emperor in the middle.  You can Halloween that up and keep it usable year round without a problem.

Another good piece is the GW forest.  Keep the trees 'blasted' instead of adding foliage, then go a bit crazy with the base.  Open graves, a discarded pumpkin, a Servitor or Necron wandering.

I guess it depends on what your options are though.  40k can get as macabre as you like, so it shouldn't be difficult to make something fit a spooky theme.

Offline Alfalpharius

• Initiate
  • Adeptus Doritos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 04:44:55 AM »
I may sound awful for this, but I once used a nativity scene as a piece of scenery in WHFB....

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 08:21:52 AM »
Okay, so this idea will work with any terrain piece you choose. Grab a bunch of cheap 6 sided dice that you're willing to sacrifice for the sake of a winning terrain piece. Paint up the terrain piece normal. If it's a burnt out cathedral, paint it up as such. Then glue down the sacrificial dice in various groups all over the base of the terrain piece. (I should mention now, put it on a base) glue all dice with ones facing upward, labeling one of them 'gets hot rolls' label another group 'armor saves', and label another group 'feel no pain rolls'. In the grim darkness of the future there is NOTHING scarier than rolling that many one's.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline dave663

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 02:43:28 AM »
Check this out:
We are at http://wargameterrainfactory.com/
and https://www.facebook.com/WargamesTerrainFactory

Terrain inspired by recent DOOM game and its hell levels:) On a FAT mat.