Author Topic: Scouts army  (Read 1053 times)

Offline nusphigor

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Scouts army
« on: August 14, 2017, 06:12:52 PM »
Hello guys
Returning player here. Its been like 4 years since i last posted on here but i am building a new army and i thought it might be a good idea to return to the forum and say hi.

So, i am building a new marine army based on scouts and i wanted to ask you guys for some thoughts on this idea.
I have 2 squads of 10  camo cloak bolter scouts with a heavy bolter and sgt with power fist and bolter on each, 2 5 man bolt pistol and cc weapon scouts squads with camo cloaks and sergeants with bolt pistols and power fists on each and an extra normal scout in case of wanting to field them as a unit of 10; and lastly 2 5-man shotguns scouts with camocloaks with sgts with power fists and combi meltas on each with an extra shotgun dude in case of fielding a 10 man squad again.

So thats 40 (42) scouts in 4-8 units.
I also built 1 sky missile tarantula, 3 twin assault cannons tarantulas and 3 twin lascannons tarantulas to use as backfield support.

Since i want to bulid this army as a fast moving skirmish force (maybe adding a couple of land speeders in the future) with the support of the sentry turrets, what would you guys suggest to use as hq's?
Also, which chapter would you use with this kind of army?
Cheers guys!

Offline SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Scouts army
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 07:43:14 PM »
Scouts are a Raptor thing, so you'd be using Raven Guard Tactics.  This unlocks Chapter Master Issodon who takes the hard hitting pregame up a notch and gives you more flexibility with deployment.  A techmarine almost seems like the necessary other HQ because of how weak Tarantulas are.  It would atleast give some ability to survive, even if it's only minor.  One big thing to note is that if the closest vehicle target for a Lascannon type is in combat, you don't get to shoot.  That's how I understand this specific rules interaction based on the FAQ about determining closest target when attempting to target characters.  Weird that Assault Cannons don't seem to have the same restriction.

I might also consider a Land Raider Proteus.  It doesn't break the theme since they have an Exploatory Augry Web thing that seems like the sort of covert deal that would work well with this sort of theme.  I just can't put my trust in Tarantulas considering a good player can and will make it so they can't shoot anything important.  Zig Zag a Flyer in front of it so you're trying to hit on a 5+ for Turn 1, then kill it at their leisure.  Having a significant threat elsewhere should allow more of the emplacements to survive.

Offline nusphigor

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 10:21:39 AM »
Thanks man!
Acording to the book, if there is a vehicle on the range of the lascannon the tarantula must shoot at it. If there isnt, it can shoot another target. Having that in mind o guess it may work, but i still havent read the faq yet.
The assault cannons (or multimelta) doesnt have such restrictions, that is why i went for a pack of 3 xD
The anti air tararantula was just in case of such tactic but i guess one is too few :/ i also agree in that the tarantulas are too filmsy... Any idea how to replace them with out using power armour units?

I dont really like tanks (too bulky, slow and expensive), so how about land speeders or stormhawks?

Raptors might be a nice idea, but the raven guard tactics seem a bit of a waste since most of my infantry are supposed to be within 12". Would this affect too much?
How about ultras and tellion? I can always use a successor chapter of them and create a character to use as the old 10th sergeant :p

Thanks again mate

Offline SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 12:11:12 PM »
The downside to Land Speeders is that they are hitting on 4s after moving.  Hitting on 4s is pretty less than ideal.  I'm rarely worried about a single Typhoon shot or a Multimelta every other turn.  It's just not worrisome.  And they're easy to knock down again when they finally start biting.

Stormtalons and Stormravens though, they're awesome.  Hands down, awesome units with almost no downside.  I just dropped a Stormtalon in my own Ultramarines list and not sure if I made the right choice still.  They do work.

The only other unit that comes to mind is Reivers, but they aren't Scouts despite their look of stripped down armor.  They are pretty interesting though.  Better than Space Marines in smaller armor.  Not nearly as bulky.  Anything else wouldn't be in Space Marines.  What comes to mind first is the Elysian Guard Regiment, or Scion allies in a separate Detachment so you keep your Chapter Tactics.  Something that can fluffily be guided in by your Scouts and strike hard on the things they can't quite deal with.

Offline nusphigor

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 11:15:53 AM »
Thanks mate!

Yes, i agree that the land speeders seem to be quite problematic nowadays :/
So i was thinking of expanding the army to just non power armour taking advantage of some old school grey knight termies that i got yesterday. So i converted them to a shooty termie squad of 5 with assault cannon, a termie captain with combi melta and chainfist and a termie librarian.
So, i was thinkng of adding scout bikers and go for 10th and 1st companies type of army inspired on that fist short story :D

Buuut, the antitank side of the army is severy lacking power...
Any ideas bedide the planes?

That scion idea is a really nice one, i have a small guard force that i could use alongside the marines but i kinda want it to keep them separate at this time, since they are part of an inquisition army that i play from time to time xD.

Cheers mate and thank you

Offline ANevskyUSA

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 10:28:22 AM »
If you can get over your power armour aversion, you could try a min bike squad with the sgt having a combi-melta and the two other having meltaguns.  That is fast and hard hitting.  Also, tanks aren't that slow anymore.  You might think of a couple of Razorbacks with the twin lascannon.  Finally, are you sure you want to give everyone camo cloaks?  It isn't that easy to get cover in 8th edition, and camo cloaks now only enhance cover - they don't do anything for units not already in cover.

Offline Jawyvern

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 07:56:32 PM »
Yeah, scout bikers are the way to go. you need to hold them back in cover to keep them safe 1st turn but they bring speed and mobile firepower. plus the mortal wounds they can dish out with cluster mines is useful.
on that note, as boring as it sounds, ultramarines are probably the way to go since they can fall back and shoot. getting command points back on a die roll is very useful too. scouts really need to take advantage of the strategems where they can.
land speeder storm can be ok but a bit much for what it brings. however you need to bring all your scouts together to fight on one flank after deployment. so you need speed. tough call.

if your sniper scouts are the only thing that sits back with your tarantulas, they'll get wiped by deep striking units right away. and you probably only need one unit of ten sniper scouts.

a stormraven could really bring some decent firepower. as well as carry heavy reinforcements to be a counter attack unit.

hq, anything that can ride a bike, gives re-rolls and has some fight ability to reinforce scouts when they get charged.