Author Topic: Tournament Report: NEW Aeldari 2000pts  (Read 999 times)

Offline Rob40k

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Tournament Report: NEW Aeldari 2000pts
« on: November 22, 2017, 11:33:34 AM »
Last weekend I attended a tournament with the NEW Aeldari Codex!

The tournament is the highlight on my calendar this year, the local gaming centre runs events all year, with all the results being tallied up and at the end, the top16 get invited to this event, Hall of Fame, with the winner getting free 40k events next year, its a substantial prize worth about 100-150 (the Americans reading that works out at about $150-$200). Not bad for a local 1 day event!

The week prior I had spent building lots of lists that took advantage of the Ynnari Strength from death ability! But on Thursday evening I was gleefully informed by a couple of people attending that a new FAQ had been released and the TO would be using it!

For those that might not be aware that FAQ vastly reduced the effectiveness of strength from death.

Back to the drawing board I went!

Well, not quite. I didn't have time to buy new models and I felt that Ynnari still had a place in the list, so set about building a second version of my original list and this is what I came up with:

Ynnari Outrider Detachment:
Yvraine as Warlord with Gaze of Ynnead and Word of the Phoenix
Farseer with Guide and Doom
5x Swooping Hawks
5x Swooping Hawks
7x Warp Spiders - Exarch with duel spinners 
6x Warp Spiders - Exarch with duel spinners 
10x Dark Reapers
3x Dark Reapers

Alaitoc Spearhead Detachment:
Warlock Conclave: 2x Warlocks (protect/jinx)
3x Dark Reapers Exarch with Tempest Launcher
Wave Serpent Twin Shuriken Cannon and additional Shuriken Cannon
Wave Serpent Twin Shuriken Cannon and additional Shuriken Cannon
Wave Serpent Twin Shuriken Cannon

Alaitoc Spearhead Detachment:
Autarch on foot
3x Dark Reapers
3x Dark Reapers
3x Dark Reapers

Essentially lots of Dark Reapers ready to unleash hell on the enemy! With Swooping Hawks and Warp Spiders as screening units! Simple strategy of shoot the enemy off the table!

GAME1 vs Astra Militarum:

I would be facing Nathan and his Astra Militarum, his list looked like:

Cadia Brigade Detachment:
Commander (Warlord)
Primaris Psyker
Primaris Psyker
Command Squad with Lascannon and Banner
Priest
30x Conscripts
Infantry Squad with Lascannon, Plasmagun, Plasma Pistol
Infantry Squad with Lascannon, Plasmagun, Plasma Pistol
3x Bulgryns with Shields and Mauls (2+ save)
10 Ratlings
Astropath
Master of Ordinance
5x Rough Riders with 2x Plasmaguns and Plasma Pistol

Cadia Spearhead Detachment:
Pask in Punisher Leman Russ with 2x Heavy Bolters and Lascannon
Leman Russ with Battle Cannon, 2x Heavy Bolters and Lascannon
Leman Russ with Battle Cannon, 2x Heavy Bolters and Lascannon
2x Basilisk
Manticore

Scions Battalion Detachment:
Tempestor Prime with Rod of Command
5x Tempestus Scions with 2x Plasmaguns and Plasma Pistol 
5x Tempestus Scions with 2x Plasmaguns and Plasma Pistol 
Tempestus Command Squad with 4x Meltaguns

Random Mission1: Spearhead Assault; Kill Points

Pregame thoughts:
I'm not facing a quite fully optimised list, I thought it would cause my force some issues as Dark Reapers will struggle to cut through all of the heavy armour Nathan is bringing, while he should be able to chip away at my units with his deep striking Tempestus units, outflanking Rough Riders and Artillery which can all kill Reapers quite easily.

The Game:
I set up aggressively with the Serpents to ensure the Dark Reapers would have range turn1, all 3 on the edge of my deployment zone with the rest of my army ready to deep strike in.

Nathan bubble wrapped his Artillery and Leman Russes with the Conscripts putting the Rough Riders and Tempestus units in reserve.

As the tournament was straight out of the rulebook I had the choice of first turn and took it, Nathan failed to seize the initiative.

My first turn and I move up with the Warp Spiders and deep strike down the Hawks, the Dark Reapers had jumped out the Serpents into a nice wood that would give them +1 save and good fields of fire, while they huddled around the Farseer who used the Runes of Witnessing Stratagem and the Autarch which would give them all re-roll 1's to hit.

My turn1 fire power was pretty nasty, when the dust had settled, both Leman Russ's were dead, Pask had been knocked down to his worse level, the Conscripts were dead as was the Command Squad.

I think this shooting phase knocked the wind out of my opponents sails, but he still kept his head in the fight. I had used Fire and Fade to put the 10man Reaper unit back into a Serpent.

So Nathan shot all his Artillery at the Serpent full of Reapers, but through some good fortune on my part (passed a good number of 5+ saves) and poor damage rolling from my opponent Lascannons rolling 2's/3's etc etc. That Serpent survived on 1 wound. The rest of my opponents shooting went into the Warp Spiders and Hawks that had landed/moved ahead of the Dark Reaper fire base. And to be fair my opponent killed all but 4 Warp Spiders from those units.

In my turn2 I ended up killing the Rough Riders, all the Tempestus units, Pask, the Commander (Warlord), Astropath, Primaris Psyker and 1 of the Basilisks.

With limited numbers remaining, my opponent made a mistake of trying to kill the fresh serpent the 10 man reaper unit had fire and faded into, instead he should have gone after my Dark Reapers. 

Again, my opponent did a lot of damage to the serpent, but couldn't finish it off. This left the Reapers untouched again.

At this point, it was really just a mopping up job, which was completed on turn5 when I got into range of the Master of Ordinance who had been hiding behind a ruin.

Result: Tabling win!

During the lunch break I realised I totally forgot about the Alaitoc -1 to hit!! DOH!!!

GAME2 vs Chaos Daemons (Nurgle)

My opponent, Rob, had brought his nasty looking Nurgle list!

Chaos Daemon Supreme Command Detachment:
Nurgle Deamon Prince with Wings and 2x Talons
Scabeiathrax* (My opponent called him scabby so I will for ease)

Chaos Daemon Battalion Detachment:
Epidermus
Herald of Nurgle
3x Nurglings
3x Nurglings
30 Plaguebearers
3x Beasts of Nurgle
Giant Spawn**
Giant Spawn
Giant Spawn

*For those that aren't aware Scabeiathrax is a forgeworld monster! T9 27 wounds, 4+ inv save 5+ fnp and it was FAQ'd that with Tenacious Survivor Warlord trait, it granted another 6+ fnp save.. But it moves slow at 7 so I had time to deal with it, at least.
**Giant Spawn, another forgeworld unit, these are quite durable 10 wounds each, movement of 6 + d6 T5 5+ inv save and 5+ fnp. A very durable unit for 75pts.

Random Mission2: Big Guns; Search and Destroy deployment:

Pre-Game thoughts: 
I'm not sure I have the fire power to beat my opponent before he can get into combat, the plague bearers are -1 to hit due to a special rule of being 20+ models. Giant Spawn are really durable, Scabby looks really nasty on paper! And with 3 Daemon princes with wings that I cannot target unless they're the closest models. I have a feeling I could struggle! Rob's list was very true to the Nurgle theme of being durable!!

The Game:
My deployment was much more defensive this time, my opponent has to come to me as he doesn't have much shooting, so I wanted to create a big gap, while still not allowing my opponent to deploy out of range turn1, as he had 2 objectives in his deployment zone he could sit back and win on objectives. I also had to be weary of the Big Guns mission with all my Dark Reaper units.

Rob deployed very defensive with the Plaguebearers, Herald and Epidermus these were put right in the far corner away from my forces, while the Giant Spawn, Scabby, Beasts of Nurgle, Nurglings and Daemon Princes deployed very aggressively on or close to the deployment zone edges closest me.

I had chosen first turn again, Rob failed to seize the initiative.

Turn1 knowing my opponent was way out of charge range turn1 and I could fall back even further turn2 if needed I wanted to concentrate on killing the Giant Spawns, Beasts of Nurgle and Nurglings which would help late game if the game goes that far.

So thats what I set about doing, with all the Dark Reapers disembarking from there Serpents ready to unleash hell on my opponents forces. When the dust had settled from the first turns shooting, I had killed 2 Giant Spawn and reduced one to 2 wounds, both Nurgling units where gone as was the 3x Beasts of Nurgle, just what I had planned. Hoping I would now have little trouble targeting the Daemon princes, but also taking out the support elements to Robs list.

My opponents turn1 and I think he made a big mistake in moving Scabby back towards the Warp Spiders and Hawks that had landed on my extreme right flank basically behind his army. A Daemon Prince also moved that way in support. He did wipe out both units of Warp Spiders tho.

The other 2 Daemon princes moved up with the Giant Spawn which regenerates wounds as I would find out.. that went back upto around 7 wounds!!

My turn2 and I used cover to block LoS to the Spawn which allowed the 10 Ynnari Dark Reapers to benefit from Word of the Pheonix psyhic power and kill a Daemon Prince in the psychic phase and then kill the second Daemon Prince in the shooting phase. The rest of my shooting went into the Giant Spawn and Scabby, this turn the Spawn was pretty tanky and took much more fire power than the ones I had killed last turn, which left only a couple of Dark Reaper units to target Scabby which I was wounding on 5's as its T9 and it had 3 layers of saves... in the end I caused 3 wounds which it healed thanks to psychic powers next turn.

Rob's turn2 consisted of him moving towards my fire base with Scabby and the Daemon Prince and that was pretty much it, as the Swooping Hawks had skyleaped away.

My turn3 I had to kill Scabeiathrax so I chucked everything I could into it and it took everything to kill!! Scabeiathrax is crazy durable... even with the Jinx psychic power cast on it. Scabby ate every Dark Reaper shot I had, but at least it was dead!! The Swooping Hawks started to chip away the Plague Bearers killing a couple, they passed moral.

Rob's turn3 and he charged a Daemon Prince into a Wave Serpent, doing 4 wounds and the Herald smited a Swooping Hawk, which is about all he could do now.

My turn4 and I started to push into the midfield with the Reaper fire base to capture and objective that was centrally located, killing the Daemon Prince on route so my forces started to chip away at the Plague Bearers, killing 10 or so,  but my opponent rolled very well on his saves and then a 1 on the moral which meant he gained D6 Plague Bearers back and Rob rolled a 6...

Rob couldn't do much in his turn 4 but hunker down on 2 objectives.

My turn5 and I threw everything into the Plaguebearers and a Herald as it was no longer hidden it had to move out of protection to Smite the Hawks, the Reapers killed 10 or so Plague Bearers, but a 1 was rolled on moral and a couple of Plague Bearers came back again...

At the end of turn5 I was on 3 objectives and had killed 3 Heavy Support Giant Spawns, I also had linebreaker, warlord and firstblood. I wanted/needed the game to go on so I could table my opponent for max points.

But alas, that wasn't meant to be! The game ended naturally as we rolled a 1.

Result: Win and killed 1700/2000pts

After a quick break, this left me in 3rd place going into the final game, the top2 players had tabled both of there opponents so far. We moved quickly into game3 and I would drop down to table 2, so needed a close game on table 1 to win the event and I needed a big win!! Can it be done!

GAME3 vs Aeldari

My opponent Dan brought his Ulthwe themed Aeldari and his army list looked like:

Ulthwe Battalion Detachment:
Eldrad (Walord) Guide, Executioner and Fortune
Warlock Protect/Jinx
Warlock Enhance/Restrain
10x Storm Guardians 2 Fusion Guns
10x Guardians Shuriken Cannon
10x Guardians Shuriken Cannon
10x Guardians Bright Lance
Hemlock Wraithfighter
Hemlock Wraithfighter
Warp Hunter
Warp Hunter 
Wave Serpent: Twin Bright lance, Shuriken Cannon, Vectored Engines and Star Engines
Wave Serpent: Twin Shuriken Cannon, Shuriken Cannon, Vectored Engines and Star Engines
Wave Serpent: Twin Shuriken Cannon, Shuriken Cannon, Vectored Engines and Star Engines

Random Mission: Relic and Dawn of War Deployment:

Pregame Thoughts:
I wasn't sure how this game was going to go, we both had as similar number of unit drops, so the roll off would be important to how I played the game. The natural toughness of Ulthwe was an advantage over my -1 to hit as most of Dans fire power is either 12 or auto-hits...

The Game:
I won the crucial roll off and deployed my unit first, meaning I would have choice of turn1. Which I took.

My deployment was central with the Serpents and Warp Spiders screening with hawks deep striking.

Dan spent 4 command points on cloud striking his 2 Hemlocks and Warp Hunters. A Serpent with Eldrad and a unit of Guardians deployed in the top left corner, the 2 remaining Serpents deployed top right, 1 with Storm Guardians and a Warlock, the other had Guardians and a Warlock, in a central crater the remaining Guardian Squad deployed and they had Brightlance. 

Dan failed to seize the initiative. Big!! As he could quite easily deep strike in and alpha strike my Serpents to death!

My plan was then sprung into place, I used the Warp Spiders massive movement and the Swooping Hawks to form as massive horse shoe shape around the disembarked Dark Reapers, meaning Dan couldn't target them.

In the psychic and shooting phase I killed 2 Serpents, the Guardians in the crater and a handful of other Guardians that disembarked from the wrecked Serpents (lots of los blocking terrain on the top tables).

Dans turn and he kept the Warp Hunters and Hemlocks in reserve and set about trying to kill my screening units, but this didn't work that well, in the end 1 unit of Warp Spiders and 1 unit of Hawks perished, but I could still keep Dans deep striking units at arms length.

My turn2 and I moved up with 2 Serpents to plug the gaps where the Warp Spiders and Hawks had died, and set about removing the rest of Dans forces. I did this pretty well, killing the remaining Serpent, and lots of the Guardians, leaving just Eldrad and a handful of Guardians.

Dans turn2 and he had to bring down his reserves from deep strike and did a fair bit of damage to whatever he was in range of, I forgot my intercept stratagem.. which was silly. I had been remembering to save a command point for it as well... Dans shooting and psychic powers remove a Serpent, the Hawks and the remaining Warp Spiders (which had moved the relic back towards the Dark Reapers).

My turn3 and I set about trying to kill the rest of Dans forces and did a solid job, almost taking out both Warp Hunters, 1 was down to a couple of wounds, but I had killed Eldrad and the Guardians that had moved into midfield.

Dan played to get as many victory points as he could, I had left a gap behind my Serpents so he couldn't get close to Reapers and killed a couple of units with the Hemlocks. (I was sloppy with movement as I was just trying to get LoS to the remnants of Dans forces).

My turn4 and as soon as I removed the remaining Warp Hunter, Dan couldn't then win the mission due to only having flyers left, I still had my entire shooting phase to go, the 10 Reapers shooting in the psychic phase is so nasty!! Dan then conceded the game, which counts as a tabling win!

Result: Tabling win!! I had done all I could do!

Now my attention turned to the top table. It had been a close game, the winner had killed 1800pts of the enemy forces... this meant Mikey had won the event by 100vps (5800) to my (5700). I finished 2nd which is very good, I'm happy with that! Very close to the win!

The Top5 were:
Mikey with Ultramarines, Gulliman, Grav Centurions, Apothecary, Plasma Primaris marines, flyer and Scouts. 3 wins 5800vps
Myself (3 wins 5700vps)
Tom with Mortation, Magnus, Aeokos (700pt forgeworld super lord of change), 35 brimstones, 7 malefic lords and a changeling (2 wins 1 loss (to mikey) 5400vps)
Rob who I played round 2 (2 wins 1 loss)
John with Chaos with lots of Forgeworld (2 wins 1 loss)

Aftermath:
Playing Dan round 3 of a 16 man event, we were the only Aeldari armies at the event and playing table2. I think this result goes to show Aeldari can still compete even with the nerf to Ynnari.

Dark reapers are certainly very powerful, until all the Codexes are released its hards to say if they're over powered or undercosted. They are however a stand out unit for Aeldari and most tournament lists will certainly be using them.

As for my list, I think having played a couple of games now, I think it can be improved, the 3 Dark Reapers in the Ynnari detachment were waisted, I also think 3 units of Swooping Hawks and a unit of Warp Spiders would have been better than what I ran. This free's up points for more Dark Reapers, I think combining 2 units of 3 and spending points saved by Warp Spiders to Swooping Hawks gives enough points for another 8-10 man Dark Reaper, these can deep strike in and give me a beta strike when going second. Something to playtest.

Thanks for reading!! Thoughts and comments always welcome! :) 

Offline Rob40k

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Tournament Report: NEW Aeldari 2000pts
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 11:47:06 AM »
Photos from the event:

My army:

Table1: I played on rd1 and 2

Rd1 opponent:

Rd2 opponent:

Rd3: didn't get full army shot

Round2 my turn1 after disembarking

Round2 opponents army after my shooting phase:

Online The Mattler

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 09:28:37 PM »
Great tournament report! :)  Your performance shows that getting first turn wins games when your list is designed to have all of its units interacting with the opponent from the outset (for which you should strive whenever possible).

The last sentence of the first paragraph in the rule book is "Note that a unit cannot both embark and disembark in the same turn.", so you could not have embarked with Fire and Fade on Turn 1 of Game 1.

As for the Dark Reapers, I think they're pretty close to where they need to be; they have great firepower, but it's on par with the rest of the effective Aeldari heavy weaponry, and they're very fragile.  If you field them, you need to have a plan to protect them.  To that end, you might consider some Rangers to push reinforcements farther from your Wave Serpents.  If you face Dark Reapers, you need to have a plan to kill them as quickly as possible because they represent a huge amount of damage that you can negate with relatively litte effort.  Bulking up on Swooping Hawks might help with that contingency.

Offline Rob40k

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 07:44:22 AM »
Great tournament report! :)  Your performance shows that getting first turn wins games when your list is designed to have all of its units interacting with the opponent from the outset (for which you should strive whenever possible).

The last sentence of the first paragraph in the rule book is "Note that a unit cannot both embark and disembark in the same turn.", so you could not have embarked with Fire and Fade on Turn 1 of Game 1.

As for the Dark Reapers, I think they're pretty close to where they need to be; they have great firepower, but it's on par with the rest of the effective Aeldari heavy weaponry, and they're very fragile.  If you field them, you need to have a plan to protect them.  To that end, you might consider some Rangers to push reinforcements farther from your Wave Serpents.  If you face Dark Reapers, you need to have a plan to kill them as quickly as possible because they represent a huge amount of damage that you can negate with relatively litte effort.  Bulking up on Swooping Hawks might help with that contingency.

Ah my mistake. Assumed as the Dark Reapers were moving in the Shooting phase they would be good to embark back into the Transport. Good to know for the future.

I'm not a fan of Rangers at all. I'm using Swooping Hawks and Warp Spiders to push the enemy away from my forces. The Serpents are only used to plug gaps if they appear.

I'm tempted by more Swooping Hawks I must admit. A unit of 5 throws out an impressive 20 shots! They're perfect for killing enemy squishy screening units like Brimstones or Conscripts/Cultists. 

Online The Mattler

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 09:13:24 AM »
I'm not a fan of Rangers at all. I'm using Swooping Hawks and Warp Spiders to push the enemy away from my forces. The Serpents are only used to plug gaps if they appear.
Admittedly, you and I looked at the same problem and designed our lists from the ground up to include different solutions.  You packed your squishy units into Serpents, while my list floods the board with annoying speed bumps and counter-assaulters, while relying on its huge CP pool for its tricks.  I don't get to enjoy the Ynnari shenanigans, but my "Serpents" have Prism Cannons. :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 09:29:17 AM by The Mattler »

Offline Rob40k

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 09:48:12 AM »
Certainly, trying to win the game from different angles.

One of the main/if not THE main reason I took the Serpent route was due to the rulespack that followed the rulebook of whoever deploys first has choice for first or second (with Seize the iniative of course).

My army was around 7 drops, which is pretty low, considering the number of units in the army.

Once chapter approved hits and tournaments go with +1 to first turn, I will certainly consider going down a more MSU approach.