Author Topic: Stormhawks 3rd Company WIP  (Read 972 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline dpallante

  • Initiate
  • *
  • Posts: 46
    • View Profile
Stormhawks 3rd Company WIP
« on: July 07, 2015, 11:45:36 PM »
With the release of the new book, I decided to unpack my Space Marines and see if I could finish them finally.  Since I haven't touched them in a few years, and I have been painting other things, I learned quite a bit and have now decided to basically repaint everything - same color scheme (more or less), different technique.
 
Maybe a month or two ago, I posted the following picture.  This was my first test to see if I could paint this army faster than the way I started and I think it worked pretty well.

 
I changed a few of the colors, but got the same general look and happy with the progress I've made so far.  Here's the StormTalon I started - it's not finished, but it's got enough paint on it to put it on the table.  I will eventually add some weathering like the terrain piece I did, but not quite as heavy to the whole army.

 
I also tried out a regular space marine, and I thought it looked ok (don't have a picture of it) so I moved on to the Captain.  Still lots more detail work to do, but good enough for now.  One thing I'm sure you'll notice right away is that I'm using the old 25mm bases.  I was thinking about making new custom 32mm resin bases, but I spent so much time making the current ones, I can't justify doing that.  I may get the base extenders I've seen a few places do the road, but I don't play competitively, so I don't feel like I need to have the larger bases.  Feel free to weigh in on that.


Here's a couple shots of a few of the resin bases I already made.  I've got 3 dozen of them painted already and have the molds so I can make plenty more.



I also started on a Land Speeder w/ Typhoon and H. Bolter.

 
I've also started on a unit of 5 bolted scouts and 4 scout bikes.  Pictured is also the crew for the LS.


 
Currently I'm looking to finish a 1500 point army by late August for a campaign game at the local store, so I'm going to try really hard to keep updating.  The list is a captain, two 10 man Tac squads in DPs, Bolter scouts in a LSStorm, 4 Sout bikers, a command squad with Apoth & 4 Plasma guns in DP, a MM Dread in DP and an Iron Clad Dread w/ 2 H. Flamers in DP, 2 LS Typhoons and a StormTalon.  Played one game so far and it worked out pretty well.
 
C&C welcome.
Thanks!

Offline dpallante

  • Initiate
  • *
  • Posts: 46
    • View Profile
Re: Stormhawks 3rd Company WIP
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 11:52:37 AM »
I haven't flaked yet, I've just been assembling stuff for paint.  I forgot how much I hated putting together drop pods.


The 5 pods are done and all doors open.  The only thing I haven't assembled are the harnesses, which I'll get to eventually.  I've got games coming up the next two weekends and I wanted to be able to use them and trying to separate the top part from the bottom part with the harnesses in place is pretty difficult and I want to minimize the times I have to do that so I don't scratch the paint off.  The Deathstorm Drop Pod just needs the 5 fins cleaned up and glued on.  I've probably had these kits going on four years and I've kept putting them off.

I also finally assembled the LSStorm and all the passengers.  I've also magnetized them so the can be removed when the scouts disembark.  This kit was a bit of a hurdle for me because I wanted to be able to have the passengers removable  and I didn't want to screw it up, but it ended up being a lot easier than I thought.  Magnets are 1/16 x 1/32 discs and they worked great.



Paint should follow next week as I only have a few more things to prep.