Author Topic: Home made Spackle rocks base  (Read 3448 times)

Offline Kezef

• Chapter Master
  • Angels have two wings for a reason
    • View Profile
Home made Spackle rocks base
« on: February 01, 2014, 01:16:28 AM »
here is my first attempt at using spackle to make rocks for a base. hope the quality is good enough, stiff trying to figure out this HD dvr

Offline MacabreDerek

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Home made Spackle rocks base
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 01:46:35 AM »
Just want to say, after hearing how you did these, my brain is running with all kinds of customization ideas for bases that is just making me grin ear to ear.  Thank you for sharing this!
Motivational Painting Thread
http://thewarmaster.com/index.php?topic=2516.0

The Painting Arrangments - Place your bets!
http://thewarmaster.com/index.php?topic=2536.0

Offline Kezef

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 02:12:49 AM »
I should probably put how i did it in the OP huh?

Offline Zangetsu

• Tempest of Blades
  • Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Prickly Terrain Studio
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 09:07:56 AM »
What is Spackle? Is it like polyfiller or something similar over here?

Offline bkbb214

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 09:54:20 AM »
Looks good. Yes show/tell us how you did them.

Offline Kezef

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 10:55:15 AM »
What is Spackle? Is it like polyfiller or something similar over here?

Spackle is spackling paste or as I have also heard it called wall paste, it is use to patch holes and fill cracks in drywall, the consistency when it is "wet" is hard to describe, it is like a really gritty paste. when it dries however it is like a piece of drywall, though maybe a little less dense, it can be sanded and primed and painted, I found that it was easily carved with my hobby knife. and cleans up with water, you can even sand it with a slightly damp sponge if you have no sandpaper.another note is that Spackle is messy when it is sanded it leaves dust and debris

Looks good. Yes show/tell us how you did them.

well I cant show step by step at this time, but I plan to do another and I will take step by step photos. however here is what I did

Things used
left over terminator base
spackling paste
polyurethane primer
black craft paint
white craft paint
Red small gravel
black medium gravel
homebrew brown/black wash

first thing I did was i took the base and slapped on a large slab of Spackle covering the entire thing since I did not know exactly what I wanted, it is the homeowner kind, so it has a color change dye added, which in this case was bright pink. when it is fully dried it will turn white.

after I let it sit for a couple of days, should note that the more you have the longer you should let it set as it dries outwards to inwards. once it was dry, I started cutting it various ways to see what effects I could make. as I was doing so I remembered the big rocks we used to have in the middle of our field growing up and things started taking shape. once I got the two rocks carved up (which by the time i decided on what to do, was all i had left to work with) smoothed them out with my finger so they looked like  old weathered rocks and dusted off all the remaining dust and residue. I then coated the whole thing with a polyurethane primer to seal the Spackle.

when the primer was dry, I added PVA glue to the base and covered it with a layer of both the gravel types mixed together. I felt it needed some more height compared to the rocks i made so I added another layer of pva and gravel mix.

I then base coated everything black, then I started to drybrush up from the black adding a drop of white for each layer i did, 4 in total. I let that dry and then I took a drop of black and a drop of brown paint and thinned it way down to the consistency of a wash and applied it over the entire thing. let that dry for a moment then hit it with a pure white drybrush,

I hope that it helps some

Offline Zangetsu

• Tempest of Blades
  • Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Prickly Terrain Studio
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 04:34:43 PM »
Yeah that sounds pretty much like filler over here in the UK, nice write up! I'd not even thought about using filler for bases but will seriously give it some thought... perhaps to make some craftworld oriented bases for my Eldar. :D

Offline fnitter

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 02:50:45 PM »
Nice. I did some experimenting with spackle a few months back but gave up. I might have to try again. Thx for sharing

Offline Kezef

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 01:03:30 PM »
five smaller bases with spackle rocks. tried to duplicate the above base but it came out a lot lighter and browner. still looks good to me though.

as i normally glue the mini to the base first and then try to add the basing to it, so I'm not sure how I'm going to get the mini onto the base and keep it secure. any suggestions?

appologies about the image quality, still have not gotten the hang of taking good pics.

Offline CO487

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 02:51:18 AM »
I don't know how well anything will glue to spackle, but I have great luck with Locktite or Gorilla brand superglues. They're cyanoacrilade based, but I've used them on models and you can darn near throw them at the wall w/o breaking. Beyond that maybe a 2-part epoxy or possibly flatten the places for the feet with green stuff? Just a couple of ideas on securing your models that I hope help...the bases turned out really good looking

Offline Kezef

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 02:00:05 PM »
only the larger rocks are made from Spackle, i wasn't gluing them to the Spackle rocks but to the base that is covered in normal basing material, i ended up pinning them, the next set i do I'm going to leave a spot to glue to, as i redo all my bases...

Offline DAG42

• Supporter
  • Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 10:39:02 AM »
Try Durhams water putty or whatever the equivalent is in UK. You mix it, dries fast and it's cheap. It's strength is very high, can be used outside with proper coatings. I think you'll like this stuff.

Offline Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 11:05:39 AM »
Interesting, thanks for sharing the idea. I need to base two large groups of cultists and I'm going to give this a try on them.
Though my men may sleep, and my ships rest at anchor, my foes know full well that big guns never tire...

Look on my works ye mighty, and despair...