Author Topic: My first try at painting.  (Read 3879 times)

Offline EndQuote

• Initiate
    • View Profile
My first try at painting.
« on: February 25, 2014, 01:01:07 PM »
My first go at painting a wave serpent
Consistency is only a virtue, if you aren't a screw up

Offline Kezef

• Chapter Master
  • Angels have two wings for a reason
    • View Profile
Re: My first try at painting.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 01:07:35 PM »
really great for a first try, is it finished or ar you going to try for adding in some high lights and all that?

Offline Striker0079

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 01:10:36 PM »
Look really clean for a first try. I like the work you've done on the Gems, the blue is a beautiful shade.
Eldar- Craftworld Glennis (4000pts)

Offline EndQuote

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 01:12:47 PM »
Thank you.

I dont know how to do highlights yet, so I am going to take my tiny victory of not screwing this up and run. I thought I was being advanced by tinting the canopy

Offline Kezef

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 01:22:02 PM »
you can achieve a lot with just a simple edge highlight, that is where you just use the edge of the brush held at an angle int the sharp edges of the model or the piece you want to highlight, try it on a piece of the sprue, use your base color first, let it dry then take a lighter shade of the same color and just try to hit the edges.

Offline EndQuote

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 01:22:28 PM »
sooo I seem to failed at washes so far....hmmm...

Offline Kezef

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 01:23:52 PM »
looks good to me. what where you trying to use the wash on?

Offline EndQuote

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 01:24:21 PM »
I have an orange color, you think that would bee too light to use to try to highlight? Troll slayer orange...not sure that color name makes sense...

Offline Kezef

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 01:25:29 PM »
if you think it is a bit off color add in a little of your base color to bring it down a little, play around on some sprue pieces and experiment till you are confident, use the lighter shade of the orange with your red to make a slightly brighter orange-red perhaps. I always take whatever color my base color is and then mix in a little white on a piece of card till i get the desired highlight color, then i find a paint that is as close to my sample as possible and buy that, be careful with reds though because white and reds often go pink before you get the hue change you want, also white sometimes makes the mix look chalky sometimes, which is why i buy a pot of paint the hue i want rather than mixing it for the highlight. Ultimately if your happy with it when your done that is all that counts.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 01:32:32 PM by Kezef »

Offline fnitter

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 01:59:00 PM »
Looks very good for a first try. Some advice:

Thin your colors. Yes even the basecoat color. Makes a much smoother surface. Dont get frustrated when it doesnt cover that well. This will mean you will probably have to do the basecoat more then one time but its well worth the effort. Many thin layers of color is better then 1 thick layer.

Wash looked good i think. (Cant rly comment since i didnt see it that well on my phone) just remember to not wash to dark when doing a clean looking model like eldar. Rather wash in just slightly darker color then a second dark wash just in the rly deep parts of the model

If you want u can apply the basecoat color again where you dont want shades. Like helmets or flat surfaces on armor etc. Id recomend even more thinned out color this time.

Highlights/layer. Use a lighter color then the base coat one. Very thinned out. More then on the edges but dont overdo it. Id recomend a lighter red rather then orange.

Last id go for edge highlights with orange. Very thinned out again. Just on the edges

Thats how i do my eldar and i like the smooth shiftings in color.

Offline EndQuote

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 02:49:23 PM »
that sounds a bit overwhelming at first read. You have any pictures posted I can see?

Offline fnitter

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 03:26:24 PM »
It sounds more overwheling then it actually is.

The key is thinning your colors. It keeps the model looking much cleaner. Closer to airbrushed surface if you understand what i mean?
This MIGHT mean you have to do more then one layer of color to cover properly (Usually 1-2 layers basecoat is enough)
I use acryllic medium but water will do for starters. Just have a thumb-rule that you never ever take color from the bottle onto the model (this just applies on colors, not washes. You can take wash from the bottle straight onto models). Even a few drops of water makes a difference.

Basecoat: 1-2 times (depends on how well it covers). Remember thin color.

Wash: Dont go to dark. Many painters only use black or dark brown. For example "Carroburg Crimson" on red makes a cool effect.

2nd wash: this is only if you feel you need more depth. This wash does not go on the whole model. Just cracks or airintakes etc

Basecoat again on flat surfaces for example, if you need to get back the basecolor. Remember thin color.

First highlight: Lighter color then basecoat color (light red in your pictures). Very thin color. Maybe 50/50 water/color. Trial and error here before you find the right water/color ratio.

Edge highlight: Even brighter color. You can do orange here if you like. Remember thin the color.

I dont have any pictures but this guy is way above me in skill and you can see what i mean with smooth surfaces (also you should subscribe since he does both awsome painting tutorials and awsome bat reps):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y20fbSweLpk&list=UU-u7aggg_-Q__FjA4_TNSTA

Offline CarboniteLab

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 01:03:50 AM »
Good job for first time. There's some excellent advice being offered here by everyone. One other trick I found to work well for me with washes is to spay the model with either a gloss or semi gloss varnish. Creates a candy coat shell that smooths out the surface of the model so the washes can more easily flow into the recesses. Also when it comes to washes I find better results with just a little bit of wash.  It's a lot easier to add more once it's dry than trying to sop it up the excess with the brush. After the whole model is dry (24 hrs) rye spray with dull or flat enamel to tone down the gloss and amplify the contrast areas that have been washed.
" You have taken your first step into a larger world."

https://www.youtube.com/user/CarboniteLab

Offline fnitter

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 01:32:44 AM »
Also when it comes to washes I find better results with just a little bit of wash. 
^This
Instead of using lots of wash try to "work it" more. work it down in cracks etc where you want the wash to create more shadows. Think of the colors and washes as pigments in a medium. If you do a straight brushstroke (this applies to both painting and washing) the most pigments will land where you end the stroke. This means:
when washing: end the brush stroke in the deepest crevasses. This means the crevasses will pick up the most pigments and be darker
When painting color (especially highlighting): straight opposite as to washing. end the brushstrokes and the parts you want highlighted.

Sry im im being unclear. English isnt my native language.

One other trick I found to work well for me with washes is to spay the model with either a gloss or semi gloss varnish
Ive heard this before and tried on different occassions but with horrible results.
I have no idea what im doing wrong.

Offline fnitter

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 01:46:21 AM »
Sry for the walls of text. I realise it can be overwhelming.
These are just things I wished someone told me when i first started painting :D

A video on "working with the washes" (skip to 9:45):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWzmdA96bho&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLpRfWTb1UMqalk3WNfUpivn-1KX6GLtWU

A video on how to do the brushstrokes so you get the most color of at the highlight spaces (the video is actually about glazing which is basicly the same as doing highlights the way i tried to explain but with even more thinned out color, you dont have to thin your colors that much in the beginning, but he does a good job explaining about pigments and where they end up after a brushstroke):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXxlIHuQUXo