Author Topic: Tyranid warriors  (Read 2811 times)

Offline BeeCee

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Tyranid warriors
« on: July 04, 2013, 12:06:35 AM »
With the rise of plasma is it time to give Warriors another hard look? i'm looking for something to do other than spawning gaunts all game and I was thinking about dusting off the Tyranid warriors.

But how should I equip them? I read a few places to avoid the venom cannon and I don't understand why, it's str 6 ap4 blast. it insta gibs T3 stuff. sure it sucks vs armor with a -1 penalty to the roll but honestly a 1 shot blaststr 6 weapon i'd only be looking to glance a transport anyways. am I missing something?

what about the other warriors in the brood, deathspitters? or leave them with their stock devourers?

I am not talking about a tournament list here either, mainly friendly games but you still don't like to lose even friendly games.
Check out my thoughts and below average painting as a member of the FTGT team.

http://ftgtgaming.blogspot.com/

Offline IDICBeer

• Supporter
  • Supporter
  • Chapter Master
  • The Wonders of Warhammer 40k
    • View Profile
    • IDICBeer 40k
Re: Tyranid warriors
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 10:01:03 AM »
With the rise of plasma is it time to give Warriors another hard look? i'm looking for something to do other than spawning gaunts all game and I was thinking about dusting off the Tyranid warriors.

But how should I equip them? I read a few places to avoid the venom cannon and I don't understand why, it's str 6 ap4 blast. it insta gibs T3 stuff. sure it sucks vs armor with a -1 penalty to the roll but honestly a 1 shot blaststr 6 weapon i'd only be looking to glance a transport anyways. am I missing something?

what about the other warriors in the brood, deathspitters? or leave them with their stock devourers?

I am not talking about a tournament list here either, mainly friendly games but you still don't like to lose even friendly games.

I like to pod mine in with Death Spitters, Swords and Lash Whips :)

Offline Lublek2

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 04:22:08 PM »
the venom cannon is good, because you just have to glance a tank to take a hull point. the bad thing about it is that it doesnt do what the rest of the unit does, and its expensive.
-personally I run it in my 1 warrior group  ;) too good to pass up cause your not in range every turn so you might as well have a long range gun getting those shots.

Offline BeeCee

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 04:30:16 PM »
really seeing the merits of the barbed strangler though. big blast and it's ap 5, great for hordes.

I agree with you though, it removes the unity of purpose from the warrior squad.

Offline Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 09:20:20 AM »
Deathspitters are a good upgrade for the points, rending claws and other CC stuff I'm not so sure about anymore...

With the lack of melta and las cannon like weapons now in the game, mass warriors can be quite scary, and as you posted, a break from playing spawning gaunt spam.
Though my men may sleep, and my ships rest at anchor, my foes know full well that big guns never tire...

Look on my works ye mighty, and despair...

Offline BeeCee

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 01:02:44 PM »
If i roll a Warrior heavy list (i just picked up 9 more on sprue that i can megnetize) do i even bother with 1 Tervigon?

i like the idea of having one to hold backfield, provide some synapse for backfield units (Biovores, Hive Guard etc..) but it is also 2 troop choices (Tervigon and the termagants to make it a troops choice) and roughly 250 pts.

Also have do i achieve critical mass in a warrior list? I could roll 2 warrior broods and 2 tervigons but that still bring me back to the "hey i spawn and push gaunts around"

sorry for all the questions but i've really come to the realization that despite playing this game for years, i really don't know how to play this game! it's one thing to line up your guys and run at the other guy and roll some dice and another things to really know what the hell yo uare doing.

Offline IDICBeer

• Supporter
  • Supporter
  • Chapter Master
    • View Profile
    • IDICBeer 40k
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 05:03:52 AM »
If i roll a Warrior heavy list (i just picked up 9 more on sprue that i can megnetize) do i even bother with 1 Tervigon?

i like the idea of having one to hold backfield, provide some synapse for backfield units (Biovores, Hive Guard etc..) but it is also 2 troop choices (Tervigon and the termagants to make it a troops choice) and roughly 250 pts.

Also have do i achieve critical mass in a warrior list? I could roll 2 warrior broods and 2 tervigons but that still bring me back to the "hey i spawn and push gaunts around"

sorry for all the questions but i've really come to the realization that despite playing this game for years, i really don't know how to play this game! it's one thing to line up your guys and run at the other guy and roll some dice and another things to really know what the hell yo uare doing.

I still like the idea of a single Tervigon in your Warrior list, nothing wrong with a Scoring MC on your objective with FnP. You probably will only spawn for one or two turns, but at least you will get a few extra troops on the table. I suppose it depends on how heavy you want to go with Warriors, four groups is still a fair amount, and you could always go with Shrikes as well if you wanted :)

Offline mattblowers

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Gaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 02:30:44 PM »

I still like the idea of a single Tervigon in your Warrior list, nothing wrong with a Scoring MC on your objective with FnP. You probably will only spawn for one or two turns, but at least you will get a few extra troops on the table. I suppose it depends on how heavy you want to go with Warriors, four groups is still a fair amount, and you could always go with Shrikes as well if you wanted :)

With all troops slots used up with Warriors, the Tervigon becomes an HQ.  Not sure if you want to do that.  I might drop spawning lady in this type of list.  Let us know how it works.
Famous last words: "All I have to do is not roll ones...."

Check out my painting blog at http://lilliputianwars.blogspot.com/

Offline BeeCee

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 03:01:03 PM »
my first game with only 1 Tervigon i spawned out first roll :(

Just played a small 1000 pt game vs Corteaz henchmen spam for fun. Neither of our lists were especially strong (i was rolling some hormagaunts, no Doom, trying out a couple lictors etc..)

My warriors got knocked around a bit but i didn't do a good enough job protecting them with cover save. A chimera with 2 heavy bolters absolutely lays waste to them. the Barbed Strangler spanked henchmen for sure, takign them off the board in handfuls.

will post more...

Offline IDICBeer

• Supporter
  • Supporter
  • Chapter Master
    • View Profile
    • IDICBeer 40k
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 02:06:44 AM »
my first game with only 1 Tervigon i spawned out first roll :(

Just played a small 1000 pt game vs Corteaz henchmen spam for fun. Neither of our lists were especially strong (i was rolling some hormagaunts, no Doom, trying out a couple lictors etc..)

My warriors got knocked around a bit but i didn't do a good enough job protecting them with cover save. A chimera with 2 heavy bolters absolutely lays waste to them. the Barbed Strangler spanked henchmen for sure, takign them off the board in handfuls.

will post more...

Yeah, you can't rely on much spawning with just one, it usually just does one or two spawns. I think you have to just look at the Tervy itself as a troops MC only

Offline BeeCee

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 12:24:43 AM »
what I will say is in the last game I played my hive guard were rocking, they shot down quite a few transports and I roll quite a few 6's on the armor pen chart.

Next up- small lunch game my Tyranids vs my blood angels army that a friend wants to buy lock stock and barrel. I might try some raveners for S's and G's.

Offline IDICBeer

• Supporter
  • Supporter
  • Chapter Master
    • View Profile
    • IDICBeer 40k
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 02:33:27 AM »
what I will say is in the last game I played my hive guard were rocking, they shot down quite a few transports and I roll quite a few 6's on the armor pen chart.

Next up- small lunch game my Tyranids vs my blood angels army that a friend wants to buy lock stock and barrel. I might try some raveners for S's and G's.

Cool, let us know how it goes