Author Topic: Old school imperial bastion scratchbuild WIP / project log  (Read 3868 times)

Offline Zangetsu

• Tempest of Blades
  • Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Prickly Terrain Studio
Old school imperial bastion scratchbuild WIP / project log
« on: April 19, 2014, 09:45:34 PM »
Over the next month or so I will be attempting to remake the classic imperial Bastion terrain originally released back in 2002 or so. This thread will serve as a place to upload when i complete a section or work on a new area and I will post a more tutorial / step by step type post over on my blog for those who are interested. With that in mind, the first pic below shows the materials I'll be using to do this.:

Lots of Plasticard,
some imperial / necromunda bulkheads,
a metal ruler,
an Xacto knife,
poly cement.

The second pic details my process for making some buttresses to use as cover on the base of the extended walkways, going from left to right is the detail raised metal work, the basic piece that slots into the bulkheads, the raised area glued onto the basic piece and then finally several rivets glued on top of the raised area to give a bolted on metal fabrication effect. This should hopefully serve to demonstrate the level of detail i'm hoping to achieve with the overall project. In the original GW release there were lots of punched card pieces used to make the terrain and while they had images of raised bolted together pieces, diamond hatched flooring, access hatches etc these were simply 2d. In my project I'll be replicating as best I can the design elements that were 2d as 3d parts to give some extra texture to the terrain.

Offline Zangetsu

• Tempest of Blades
  • Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Prickly Terrain Studio
Re: Old school imperial bastion scratchbuild WIP / project log
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 12:48:48 PM »
Still trying to work out the dimensions to make all the plasticard bits so that it all fits together ok and roughly follows the original design, here's the first few shots of a dry fit of the main body of the bastion.

Offline Kayreios

• Brother Captain
  • "This is the best that bikes are going to get..."
    • View Profile
    • Painted Gribblies - Miniature Critique + WIP + Blargh
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 01:48:38 PM »
Looking good!

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 01:52:14 PM »
I like it. Hope to see it after you put a few coats of paint on it.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline Zangetsu

• Tempest of Blades
  • Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Prickly Terrain Studio
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 11:59:19 AM »
Paint will follow once i've managed to dry fit everything together and get some templates so I can potentially build another one in future, here's some Hatches I just finished putting together.... these rivets suck!

Offline Zangetsu

• Tempest of Blades
  • Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Prickly Terrain Studio
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 04:19:30 PM »
Couple of progress pics for you, showing the magnetized area and general build, working on the sides and rear of the bastion mostly now before moving on to more detail oriented stuff.

Offline Zangetsu

• Tempest of Blades
  • Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Prickly Terrain Studio
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 05:03:53 PM »
So I think i'm done with the basic form of the bastion, will set about on the detail stuff now but let me know what you think, i've attached a couple of shots from the front and one on the back and then a close up of the brown plasticard so you can see the textures.

Offline Zangetsu

• Tempest of Blades
  • Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Prickly Terrain Studio
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 05:04:08 PM »
bit of the detailing on the rear of the bastion.

Offline mxkeith

• Initiate
  • Be all you can be and never give up
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 05:47:38 AM »
I think this project looks awesome. I would like to start trying to build Terrain. How do you get the demensions for the walls floors and windows. Do you look at pictures and kind of guesstamate or do you use some kind templet. Your project does look great.

Offline DAG42

• Supporter
  • Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 11:51:10 AM »
That looks great. I own some of those original bldgs. and must say this is awesome.

Offline Zangetsu

• Tempest of Blades
  • Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Prickly Terrain Studio
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 02:36:54 PM »
Thanks guys, hopefully the next project will be even better as i've learned a lot however production is on hold at the moment because i'm stupid and forgot to pack the bastion in the first half of my stuff for moving house, i'll be back home on the 13th and will carry on with it then.

@MxKeith, it's mostly guesswork, you can see rough dimensions from the images online and using the necromunda bulkheads as a regular fixed size it's kinda just built from there. I searched high and low for dimensions but sadly not much was out there so I just set about it myself. :D