Author Topic: Spore pods  (Read 1465 times)

Offline Lublek2

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Spore pods
« on: July 07, 2013, 06:48:40 PM »
So I am new to the nids, I played a lot of tau in 5th and battled nids to medium success. now that tau is broken! and my Eldar army is pretty much the same I have decided to go with a much harder army to play in 6th ed.

On paper the spore pods look awesome, you can give them barbed stranglers so they shoot big pie plates and have an ok chance of hitting/killing something especially since tau likes to be bunched together for the supporting fire rule.
my other 2 ideas are venom cannons or cluster spines. since the pods BS is so low i figured shooting blasts is much better.

I have watched Fritz 40K vids on tyranid tactics and he suggests not putting weapons on them and I think they would be a great asset with weapons. they would help my army move up the bored because they would become a very big problem if left alone.

any advice would be appreciated :)

Offline mattblowers

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Gaming Blog
Re: Spore pods
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 07:52:46 PM »
Two problems:
1.  BS 2
2.  They have to shoot at the closest enemy unit.  Anyone who has ever faced one will use this to their advantage. 

Use the basic load out.  They are meant as a delivery system.  They also block LOS nicely to combat the new Tau gun lines and such.  Other than that, I don't like them so much.
Famous last words: "All I have to do is not roll ones...."

Check out my painting blog at http://lilliputianwars.blogspot.com/

Offline Lublek2

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 08:06:35 PM »
bs 2 just means you will scatter a little more than normal. id only use blasts, it might scatter and hit a better units???? but it seems the nids all the ways to kill units they can muster.

for 50pts they deliver, and shoot a large blast the turn they come in.... and they can shoot at a different unit than the units it delivers.

they still give cover and its annoying for the opponent, he really does not want to kill the pod because it wont do much but if it keeps hitting random things he might have to "waste" a round of shooting to get rid of it.

Online Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 09:18:59 AM »
I second that....

The biggest problem is that they shoot at the closest unit, which makes them unreliable for shooting- good for delivery of models, but spend the points on shooting elsewhere.
Though my men may sleep, and my ships rest at anchor, my foes know full well that big guns never tire...

Look on my works ye mighty, and despair...

Offline IDICBeer

• Supporter
  • Supporter
  • Chapter Master
  • The Wonders of Warhammer 40k
    • View Profile
    • IDICBeer 40k
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 09:44:01 AM »
I like Death Spitters on my Pods, twin linked really helps them hit and they have a nice range for when your more than 6" from your target. I know it makes the pod 50 points, but with all the free troops I spawn, I still have plenty of points left for all the other bugs :)

Offline FTGT Evan

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • FTGT
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 04:18:08 PM »
I think the important thing to keep in mind with shooting the closest with blast weaponry is that it then has a decent chance of scattering back onto the unit you just deposited, which makes it less desirable. If I upgraded my pod, it would probably be with the TL deathspitters.

Offline Lublek2

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 10:04:07 PM »
well unlike most people im looking to deploy my pods infront of the opponents army to give my entire army cover.... so having weapons on my pods would be a great help to the killing power and distraction tactics so the mass of my army can get to their side of the board.

I know your aren't supposed to buy troops but they are wonderful at killing troops and light tanks, and taken in a pod they get across the field to cause trouble. Warriors in a pod can be a real pain to deal with, lots of wounds, lots of shots, good in CC. they also HAVE TO BE DEALT WITH!! so multiple units will fire at them to kill them and since i do run 1 tervigon in this list I can make a few extra troops to replace the Warriors in the pods.

i know the idea sounds alittle dumb but since i have played tau and eldar i know this tactic will work against them quite well.