Author Topic: Emperor's Children WIP  (Read 5825 times)

Offline worldeater_az

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • My WIP Emperor's Children Army
Emperor's Children WIP
« on: July 15, 2014, 07:05:46 PM »
Hey folks,

I'm starting this thread to document my Emperor's Children CSM army.  This is my first official army and my first attempt to actually play 40k.  I've messed around with the hobby in the past but that was only painting a handful of miniatures.  I'm starting with a 500 point list with plans to eventually expand up to 2000.  I plan to include my process through building, modding, painting, and maybe even how it plays on the tabletop.  Time is going to be a huge factor for me, I have little of it.  There is no schedule or planned completion date, I just do what I can when I can.  Then I'll upload pictures here when I make progress.

Emperor's Children was chosen primarily for the paint scheme.  I wanted something different, something I didn't picture myself painting, like big, tough, demonic marines wearing...pink.  Everything will be Slaanesh and the army will be fast, at least that's my plan.  Being that I've never played before I have no idea how this will play on the table.  That doesn't concern me much, I'm not trying to build a competitive list.  Just something I can have fun with at the game store occasionally.  Even though I have plans to stay CSM up to 2000 points I really like the idea of adding some slaanesh daemons and/or traitor guard attachments.  We'll see, it's a long way off.

Here is my starting 500 point list:

HQ
Sorcerer, ML3, MoS, VotLW, Sp. Fam., SoC, Bike, Burning Brand of Skalanthrax - 220

TROOPS
10x Cultists, flamer - 55
5x Marines, MoS, VotLW, flamer, power weapon - 110

FAST ATTACK
3x Bikers, MoS, 2x melta, power weapon - 111

My first update is the first bike I completed.  I also have the cultists built and primed, I'll get a photo of them soon.

Offline Flor

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Emperor's Children WIP
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 07:14:44 PM »
I like your choice. I love the EC background and colorscheme. Keep us updated 😉

Offline worldeater_az

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 12:04:39 PM »
Here's a pic of my cultist squad, primed gray.

The next two are pics of my Burning Brand of Skalanthrax.  I made it with two flamers from the raptors box and a gargoyle head from the predator box.  Still needs some green stuff work to finalize the design.

The last pic is me trying to figure out how to use it.  I envision the sorcerer on the bike with a force staff of sorts.  I think it may look odd for him to be riding hands-free with a staff in one hand and brand in the other.  So do I try attaching the brand to the bike or find some way "holster" the staff on the bike?  He not hot be able to see over the brand!

Offline worldeater_az

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 12:53:00 PM »
I noticed my pics were too large to be able to see the full size.  Here are smaller versions.

Offline worldeater_az

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 01:18:19 PM »
Finally I have an update to post!  Time is so limited these days.

I've finished building the chaos bikes, four total, one for my sorcerer, two magnetized for weapon options, and one normal for the champion.  The riders pictures will be posted later as I'm still doing the final touches on the sorcerer.

I hate to toot my own horn, but I  am particularly proud of the sorcerer bike.  It was important for me to create something unique and eye catching when I put it on the table.  Half that goal is achieved, and now I have such an awesome piece that I'm terrified to mess up the painting.  Hopefully I didn't bite off more than I can chew with my first army.

For those interested, here are the bits used, starting with the normal chaos bike kit, of course.
Gargoyle skulls from the Predator.
Flames I clipped and shaped from a bit out of the chariot kit.
Trophy racks from the daemon prince.
Staff from hellstriders of slaanesh.
Various bits of chain I can't remember where from.
Magnetized weapons on the other bikes are from the raptors.

All I need for the sorcerer is an arm to hold the burning brand.  That should be done soon.  Pictures will follow.

Offline worldeater_az

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 01:19:27 PM »
Here are the bikes with magnetized weapons.

Offline Bowlzee

• Keeper of Secrets
  • Supporter
  • Brother Captain
  • Slave to Slaanesh
    • View Profile
    • Slave To Slaanesh
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 07:41:21 PM »
That Sorcerer's bike is amazing!! You've done an outstanding job :D

Offline worldeater_az

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 12:47:21 PM »
Here's a few shots of my finished sorcerer.  He's almost entirely a Dark Angels space marine, head, torso, and legs.  Green stuff to cover over the chest symbol, added horns poking through the hood.  Possessed backpack.  Biker arm and marine arm with bolt pistol clipped off.  At the end I'll attach a chaos book to his hip.

Next is building my marines, the last piece to my 500 point puzzle.  They shouldn't take long to build and then I can begin painting.

And then I can actually play my first game... which I've already forgotten most of what I've watched and read.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 06:48:20 PM by worldeater_az »

Offline worldeater_az

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 07:31:03 PM »
All my construction is complete and everything is primed for my 500 point list.  That leaves only painting, hopefully I can start that soon.  The only real highlight here is the one-handed bolters on the marines.  It looks so much better than the standard pose.  Not sure what I'd do if I decide against paying for CCWs.  Everything is magnetized so shouldn't be too much work if things change.  I also did magnets for all three special weapon types so I can switch those out whenever I feel the need.

Offline worldeater_az

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 01:11:15 PM »
It's been a while since updating this last.  I did actually begin painting a little, and I'm sorely out of practice.  My brushes aren't that great, so buying new brushes is high on my list.  At least a detail brush or two to start.

One of the local game stores had an event for new players so I was actually able to get my feet wet.  It was a lot of fun.  Still it was very basic rules using two small squads, not a "real" game.

I'm working on building another five marines.  Here's a few pics of my second aspiring champion, which I think looks more like a champion than my first one using the "standard" champion bits.  Power sword from the raptors box, chains on the weapons, gargoyle skulls on the backpack, and a nice little slaanesh symbol.  The flames on the flamer were more fire trimmed from the chariot kit.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 02:27:43 AM »
I really like the conversion work you did on that sorcerer. What colors are you gonna paint these guys?
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline worldeater_az

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 08:24:15 AM »
I haven't quite decided exactly how the sorcerer is going to look, other than being Emperor's Children.  I will have a lighter blue color as an accent for the inside of his cloak.  There is still have time before I get there.  He'll be the last guy I paint since I really need to practice on the cultists, marines, and bikers first.  The cultists aren't too far away from completion.

Offline arbitrary_fun

• Initiate
  • Murdered by giant astral babies, a darn shame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 07:28:31 AM »
Really like that biker sorcerer and wish I put flames all over my army too, look forward too seeing this updated.

Offline worldeater_az

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 06:56:53 PM »
Thanks for the compliment. Hopefully I'll have an update posted soon. My cultist squad is almost completely painted and I'm building raptors and rhinos. Just not anything exciting enough to post pictures of.