Author Topic: Looking for a better local tourney format  (Read 1020 times)

Offline Kayreios

• Brother Captain
  • "This is the best that bikes are going to get..."
    • View Profile
    • Painted Gribblies - Miniature Critique + WIP + Blargh
Looking for a better local tourney format
« on: August 03, 2014, 10:27:27 AM »
Hi Everyone,
                     Looking for some fresh ideas on running a local league.   We basically run our local "tourney" as a league season with rankings and award the winner after the completed season games.

For a bunch of reasons, we are looking at a new format that lets us string 4-8 weeks/weekends together and produce a clear winner and ranking.   We have been doing this for a while, so we are looking for ideas that are tried and tested, but not necessarily prescriptive to a regional 1-2 day event.   This ends up looking more like a campaign.

Army lists are a big part of the discussion in the sense that we don't want to complete restrict them to a single list, but we want enough continuity to declare a clear winner.  The idea of 2-3 lists comes to mind, but so far we have stayed with a single list much like a regional tourney.

Thanks ahead of time for your ideas.

K

Offline DCannon4Life

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a better local tourney format
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 08:54:49 PM »
What point level? If at 1850, then a 1250 'core' list and 2-3 600 point alternates could be fun. Once written, none of the lists can change, but which alternate list gets played depends on player choice.

Arranging quads (groups of 4 players that play everyone else in the quad one time), and then taking the top/bottom players from each quad and forming new quads can get you decent rankings/clear winner for ~16 players in 6 weeks.
First, you must learn Balance. --Miyagi

Offline Kayreios

• Brother Captain
  • "This is the best that bikes are going to get..."
    • View Profile
    • Painted Gribblies - Miniature Critique + WIP + Blargh
Re: Looking for a better local tourney format
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 10:02:36 PM »
This is exactly along the lines of what we were thinking.  Thanks for mentioning it, I prefer this style myself.

Open to other tested ideas of course, I don't want to limit the discussion with my opinions.

K