Author Topic: Possible NOVA 1850pt List  (Read 2181 times)

Offline FTGT Evan

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • FTGT
Possible NOVA 1850pt List
« on: July 15, 2013, 03:32:43 PM »
Hi All, I've been debating going to NOVA and signing up for the GT because it sounds like an awesome event. While I've been working on my other armies, I would have to go with the bugs for this. My thoughts were:

Flyrant: 2xTL Devourers
Swarmlord
Tyrant Guard
2 Zoanthropes
2 Hive Guard
19 Devilgants in a spore
12 Devilgants
Tervigon: Crushing Claws, TS&AG, Catalyst
Mawloc
Trygon
2 Biovores

This honestly feels a little thin in terms of numbers, but I have to balance my desire for more little guys with the fact that I want everything painted well, and I don't have many little guys painted well yet - would require a lot of rework to bring my hormagants or just more termagants or gargoyles.

Thoughts?

Offline mattblowers

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Gaming Blog
Re: Possible NOVA 1850pt List
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 04:44:36 PM »
I like a second mawloc over a trygon, but that's just me.  Also I've never use pyrovores but think they might die a little too easy and you don't have any real threat to cause a disctraction unless you're planning on running them behind the swarmlord.
Famous last words: "All I have to do is not roll ones...."

Check out my painting blog at http://lilliputianwars.blogspot.com/

Online Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 01:55:00 PM »
I'd look to take three tyrant guard on Swarmy- he will need them! I'm assuming using gate to zap up to your opponent along with the flyrant. The longer Swarmy is running around chopping stuff the better for the rest of your army. I'd also llo into DOM in a pod- he is as close to godlike as you can get for Tyranids these days.
Though my men may sleep, and my ships rest at anchor, my foes know full well that big guns never tire...

Look on my works ye mighty, and despair...

Offline FTGT Evan

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • FTGT
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 02:47:57 PM »
Thanks guys. I've actually never run Mawlocs, just Tyrgons. I really like the latter because they tend to blenderate anything they get in combat with. That said, I could see two Mawlocs running really well paired together - either alternating turns or simultaneous exploding. I was planning on running Biovores, not Pyros - they can hunker in cover and could see them putting a hurt on Tau Gunlines.

I only had the one Tyrant guard in part because that unit starts getting really expensive. Also, with one, if Swarmy gets Iron Arm it's potentially majority toughness 7-9. I've only run him once and just with Bio only, so hadn't thought of using Gate.

As for Doom, I won't argue that he's not good - I just don't have anything modeled up for him or a pod and don't have much time to do so. I would also like to avoid a straight "net" list and bring him and more Tervigons, hive guard, etc. (of course, I'm then asking for advice on the net, so clearly a little bit of a contradiction).

Reworking it a bit could get me:
Flyrant
Swarmy w/3 Guard
3 Zoans
20 Devils in a spore
Tervigon
12 Termagants
15 Hormagaunts
2 Mawlocs

Going back to one Tyrant guard though could let me tweak it to add in 3 biovores, who with AP4 Barrage, can ruin a Tau Gunline in short order. Also, if I can get myself a second spore I like, I'm leaning toward giving that to the Zoans and if the situation dictates, give them all psychic shriek primaris rather than Doom. Thoughts?

Offline BeeCee

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 03:41:19 PM »
Do you need to go all in on gate to make swarmy work? obviously the mobility is paramount for Swarmlord to get stuck in.

If you go biomancy wouldn't it be better to only roll with 1 tyrant guard for the majority toughness rule?
Check out my thoughts and below average painting as a member of the FTGT team.

http://ftgtgaming.blogspot.com/

Offline TeethandTalons40k

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 05:08:51 AM »
I think that something needs to be swapped out for another tervigon, this would increase the number of troops and help you to win the mission.

Offline mattblowers

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Gaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 10:20:07 AM »
I think that something needs to be swapped out for another tervigon, this would increase the number of troops and help you to win the mission.

+1 on this.  One Tervigon is just too unreliable.  I had one crap out on me on turn one last night after just one spawning of just 7 termagants.  The game became a tie.  I could have won if I had even one more spawn.  This is for a escalation league and this week was just 500 points so no go on two tervigons.
Famous last words: "All I have to do is not roll ones...."

Check out my painting blog at http://lilliputianwars.blogspot.com/

Offline FTGT Evan

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • FTGT
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 11:15:15 AM »
Yeah, I was actually surprised more tervigons didn't come up sooner. I didn't like the idea of them at first (until I actually ran one), and I'm mostly being stubborn and trying to avoid "net list" adoption of 2-3 at a minimum. One is definitely unreliable, so I can't say I have a tactically sound reason to not take a second.

This is particularly true since the small numbers and lack of survivability of my troops is definitely concerning me. The biggest squad of gants is meant to drop right into the heart of something, and I expect them to die. Hormagaunts are another stubborn hold over in that I love the minis and want to be assaulty, so I take them, even if they're pretty bad and will die. So I'm more or less relying on a small squad of gants plus any spawns I'm lucky enough to get to hold objectives.

Offline BeeCee

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 11:36:47 AM »
If you can get toxin sacs on the hormagaunts they could be used as a nice anti-MC unit. put a few wounds on a wraithknight etc...

Offline FTGT Evan

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • FTGT
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 12:09:22 PM »
Definitely not a bad idea. Though, I would almost prefer to replace them with 15-20 loaded gargoyles except I feel like I need as many Troops units as I can get.

Offline BeeCee

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 12:44:48 PM »
i hear you, i was mainly suggesting to toxin them up as you said you were stubbornly holding on to them :)

Offline FTGT Evan

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • FTGT
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 01:30:16 PM »
True, true! Would help them be more than cannon fodder.

Offline BeeCee

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 02:13:04 PM »
remember if you have two tervigons you'll be spawning your troops as well as your tervigons being troops choices themselves.

unless you are hellbent on holding on to the Hromagaunts because you like them, gargoyles are not a bad choice.